D3-5

I went up and tried scouting in D3 this weekend. Everything is so thick, I might as well have left my binoculars at home. I know some guys get it done out there, it’s just not what I’m used to. I grew up hunting in A Zone which is a whole lot different. Any suggestions on the best approach in the thick forest? Is it worth trying to get up high and glass in D3-5?

Treestand. Sit over water. Sit over trails. Still hunt.

The forest service masticated a bunch of area where we hunted, which was great for that season. Two seasons later you could hardly tell.

Scout scout scout. Find obvious trails and look for recent sign. Tracks, poop, rubs, beds. I like to slowly stalk recently used game trails trying to bump bucks from their beds.

Use google maps and OnX to your advantage to look for small clearings as well. I’ve had good luck setting up on clearings just off of game trails. Even if you only have 30-50 yards in each direction of the clearing it can set up up nicely for shots.

Sitting downwind from obviously used stream crossings works well too. You’ll find game trails leading to streams where they cross or stop to drink.

Good luck and have fun!

What ever binoculars you have, sell them for as many trail cameras as you can afford. The trail cameras do the scouting for you, and tell you where to wait/still hunt 😎.

I have hunted d3-5 my entire life and have had plenty successful years and plenty not so successful years. Looking back it really boils down to how much effort you put into it. There are plenty of bucks out there and quite a few hammers. You have start scouting early on and come up with a plan. Are you going high and glassing large areas? If so then get a good spotting or binos and bring a lunch. Unless you have access to private land just assume that there is no “easy” way to find bucks here. It takes work and lots of it. One pointer I can offer is to pick a variety of elevations to scout and look for sign. In my experience the elevations you find the majority of deer at is greatly dependent on the previous years winter. Some years the bucks stay high 5,000ft or more until the first freeze. Other years like last year, the bucks seem to be down lower less than 5,000 ft. Dont plan on setting up a tree stand and getting a buck unless you have put in the time to make sure you are in the right spot. Best of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hunted d3-5 my entire life and have had plenty successful years and plenty not so successful years. Looking back it really boils down to how much effort you put into it. There are plenty of bucks out there and quite a few hammers. You have start scouting early on and come up with a plan. Are you going high and glassing large areas? If so then get a good spotting or binos and bring a lunch. Unless you have access to private land just assume that there is no “easy” way to find bucks here. It takes work and lots of it. One pointer I can offer is to pick a variety of elevations to scout and look for sign. In my experience the elevations you find the majority of deer at is greatly dependent on the previous years winter. Some years the bucks stay high 5,000ft or more until the first freeze. Other years like last year, the bucks seem to be down lower less than 5,000 ft. Dont plan on setting up a tree stand and getting a buck unless you have put in the time to make sure you are in the right spot. Best of luck to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the quick response. I was planning on trying to get up high and glassing but I’m reconsidering that plan after spending the weekend up in that thick country. I definitely like the idea of picking a variety of different elevations to scout.

Get in your backcountry at least a day before the opener... watching people walk up the hills during opener is like a sea of headlamps running up the Canyons - use it to your advantage and let people push bucks your way

I have a friend in Truckee, Hunts D3 every year and is successful most years. He starts scouting as soon as the snow is gone and every spare minute he has, scouts and that is it, then hunts and kills nice bucks. D3 is hard, but I know there are deer up there.

Get in your backcountry at least a day before the opener... watching people walk up the hills during opener is like a sea of headlamps running up the Canyons - use it to your advantage and let people push bucks your way
I will be social distancing at my brother in laws covid wedding on opening day so i may miss the sea of head lamps.....went back out this weekend saw a lot of sign, one doe, no bucks. I’ll keep trying.

I went up and tried scouting in D3 this weekend. Everything is so thick, I might as well have left my binoculars at home. I know some guys get it done out there, it’s just not what I’m used to. I grew up hunting in A Zone which is a whole lot different. Any suggestions on the best approach in the thick forest? Is it worth trying to get up high and glass in D3-5?
Take your d tag back and get an a tag!

Back