Damaged tree

KsRancher

WKR
I bought a 16ft tall ball in burlap sycamore tree 4yrs ago. Looked great the first year. The second year the top 3ft died. So I cut it off. The 3rd year another foot died. This year another foot died. The first year several of the main branches also died but the tree regrew all new branches. Past that the tree looks great. Any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

Attachments

• 20240512_155416.jpg
    20240512_155416.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 71
I'm in the Southeast, we call that top kill here.

Usually its from:
- burned cambium in prescribed fire
- rubbing by bucks or chewing on bark or roots by rodents
- major disturbance to topsoil with equipment or grading around or under the canopy
- major change in drainage like the replacement of a culvert that's been clogged for years.

One possible solution to prevent further dieback could be to conduct a thorough assessment of the tree's environment and health. Ensure it's receiving adequate water, sunlight, and nutrients, as well as proper pruning and maintenance. Additionally, consider consulting with a certified arborist who can evaluate the tree's condition in person and provide expert advice on potential causes and remedies. With some targeted care and professional guidance, you may be able to prevent further decline and enjoy a thriving, healthy tree for years to come!

If you want that tree to live I'd contact an arborist. You'll probably get 15 responses with 20 opinions here. How will you know which suggestion is the right one? Any arborist worth their salt will tell you exactly what to do and often for short money because it's not like you need a crew out there for a stem that size.

I agree with treedog, water is the place to start as they do need require a lot of water. It
Could be something like sycamore anthracnose but can’t tell from the picture.

One possible solution to prevent further dieback could be to conduct a thorough assessment of the tree's environment and health. Ensure it's receiving adequate water, sunlight, and nutrients, as well as proper pruning and maintenance. Additionally, consider consulting with a certified arborist who can evaluate the tree's condition in person and provide expert advice on potential causes and remedies. With some targeted care and professional guidance, you may be able to prevent further decline and enjoy a thriving, healthy tree for years to come!
Did you just pull this straight from Chat GPT or what? 😂

Many years ago I was told by a arborist, they are called sycamores for a reason. There are a lot of them in my neighborhood. the ones that are properly trimmed, thinned out all do real good, and those that are not taken care of have problems. At the age of yours, I doubt that is an issue. You might try thinning it out some.

I have it on a drip system with all my other trees. My other sycamore is doing great. Is there a way I can cut the top off and seal it so it does not dry and crack out.

Last edited:
We have a ton of sand in our soil that doesn’t hold water all that well so that combined with dry climate means we always seem to water issues. We had two identical trees planted by the previous owners and one looked like it was struggling more than the other. Carefully digging around the root ball to see if there was anything obvious - disease or lack of root development - turned out one of the roots from the original root ball was wrapped clear around choking it. Clipping that one root allowed the tree to grow normally.

What soil the tree is planted in and how much good quality soil was added around the tree when planted can make a difference. Too much sand and 3’ from a water source could be dry. Too much clay and any extra water could have the roots living in mud and rotting off.

Our city arborist suggests watering every other week after leaves have fallen off - 50 gallons for full size trees, less for smaller trees. Since doing this we’re getting much more growth in young trees and more sap production in the mature trees once sap starts flowing - it seems pretty crazy and against everything I’ve grown up with, but works so well I can’t imagine not doing it.

Back