Damn near my dream gun

Jon_G

WKR
After quite some time, I was finally able to build my dream rifle... Or at least I have come quite close. I guess one of the ways to make it better would be a custom titanium barrel but I am afraid it won't last as long and they are quite freaking expensive. I could also add a more expensive scope like the VX-6HD instead of my VX-5HD, but I don't think I will ever outperform, or have a need for a more expensive scope since the glass is the same and I added the flip up covers anyway. The only thing I'm missing from the VX-6HD is the throw lever if I'm not mistaking.
It is a Bergara B14 by the way in a .308
Sure a 300 win mag for elk, for example, would have been a better choice for some but I've always dreamt of a taking an elk with a bow, not with a rifle. When that time comes where I do take one with a bow, perhaps I'll consider a bigger caliber for moose and/or elk.

I added a Triggertech Remington 700 Special trigger instead of the Diamond because Bergara doesn't recommend a trigger under 2.5 lbs while out in the field and the Diamond only goes up to 2lbs.

The Chassis for those who haven't seen one is a MDT HNT26 Remington Short Action.
(Just add a quick note, I read one guy somewhere wrote that anything with the word "remington" in it was for sure trash and not worthy of any money put into it because of their crappy quality control as of late.
What he didn't understand was that the Bergara B14 is built as a "Remington clone" meaning all of the holes and such for the scope mounts, for example, are built to Remington specifications because of all the accessories available to the Remington platform. I hope that makes sense. He continued to say Remington was still crap and therefore the Bergaras were crap, so at that point it's better to ignore those people that have no idea what the hell they're talking about.)

Anyhow, the best part of my build is the Chassis. It is freaking amazing in my opinion. I did not purchase the Arca rail version because I have a Spartan tripod adapter on it to go with my Leupold alpine tripod if I ever need to use it in the field. Not having an arca rail also saves weight but I can't imagine that it is significant at all. I bought the folding version of the chassis so I can buy a smaller case, and to fold up to attach to my pack when I no longer need it. I was concerned that the folding aspect of it would provide a weak point somehow but I was completely wrong. This thing is built as well as you could ask for and for the price, it should be. Anyhow, I leave you with the pictures of my baby 😁

If there are any accessories or modifications you suggest please drop a comment!

Attachments

• 20230825_143131.jpg
    20230825_143131.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230825_143332.jpg
    20230825_143332.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20230825_143113.jpg
    20230825_143113.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20230825_142935.jpg
    20230825_142935.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230825_142929.jpg
    20230825_142929.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20230825_143050.jpg
    20230825_143050.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 99
Congratulations on a beautiful rifle that you enjoy!! I think that facet of if a rifle is somewhat shyly talked about sometimes. It shouldn’t be. If you’re really happy with your rifle, it means a lot, and you’ll use it. I don’t hop onto the ‘which rifle should I take on x hunt’ questions because usually my thought it, so long as both rifles are of a reasonable application for the hunt, I personally would rather go with the one that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

One of the things I think that chassis really got right was making sure the touch points aren’t (or very little of them are) aluminum. I prefer plastic, or carbon fiber, on things I’m going to hold when hunting. Just in case you find that you have some metal touch points, I’ve found that goon tape works really well as an insulator that doesn’t leave sticky residue or gum up your hands and gloves. It’s a silly name but it works, it’s basically hockey tape with a better adhesive for sticking on guns. I use it on my hunting AR’s and on the forward portion of my scopes since I sometimes carry the rifle by the front of the scope.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
Congratulations on a beautiful rifle that you enjoy!! I think that facet of if a rifle is somewhat shyly talked about sometimes. It shouldn’t be. If you’re really happy with your rifle, it means a lot, and you’ll use it. I don’t hop onto the ‘which rifle should I take on x hunt’ questions because usually my thought it, so long as both rifles are of a reasonable application for the hunt, I personally would rather go with the one that makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

One of the things I think that chassis really got right was making sure the touch points aren’t (or very little of them are) aluminum. I prefer plastic, or carbon fiber, on things I’m going to hold when hunting. Just in case you find that you have some metal touch points, I’ve found that goon tape works really well as an insulator that doesn’t leave sticky residue or gum up your hands and gloves. It’s a silly name but it works, it’s basically hockey tape with a better adhesive for sticking on guns. I use it on my hunting AR’s and on the forward portion of my scopes since I sometimes carry the rifle by the front of the scope.
Thanks for your input man! You are definitely right this rifle does make me feel warm and fuzzy haha. And yes I believe the metal parts on this rifle are magnesium. I know for sure the base is magnesium but I am unsure about the smaller components towards the rear of the chassis. As far as the grip, it is pretty damn amazing to shoot it even in cold weather and not have it be cold anywhere lol.

peppy870

Lil-Rokslider
I finally bit the bullet and am having one made. Should have it in the next few weeks. Here’s what I went with…
Muzzle Break-
Custom PPR (Powell Precision Rifles)
Barrel
Bartlein #3 Contour 1-9” twist
Action
BAT Igniter, RBRP, bdl mag cut, spiral fluted bolt, integral recoil lug, screwed and pinned 20 MOA rail
Stock
AG Composite Alpine Hunter stock in Swamper Rogue Camo
Hawkins BDL bottom metal
Warne Mountain Tech Rings
Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56 Scope
Bix’n Andy TACSport trigger
It’s a 300 PRC.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
I finally bit the bullet and am having one made. Should have it in the next few weeks. Here’s what I went with…
Muzzle Break-
Custom PPR (Powell Precision Rifles)
Barrel
Bartlein #3 Contour 1-9” twist
Action
BAT Igniter, RBRP, bdl mag cut, spiral fluted bolt, integral recoil lug, screwed and pinned 20 MOA rail
Stock
AG Composite Alpine Hunter stock in Swamper Rogue Camo
Hawkins BDL bottom metal
Warne Mountain Tech Rings
Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56 Scope
Bix’n Andy TACSport trigger
It’s a 300 PRC.
Dang man I can't wait for you to share the final outcome with us! Lol.
You reminded me actually that I did want to thread my barrel. I'll look into it maybe for next season.
And you do provide some technicalities that I have yet to learn to be honest like how barrel twist affects your ammo and so on.
And that Mark scope is super nice man.
Nice choice with the PRC man.
Make sure you tag me and show us when you get it haha. You mind me asking how much you paid for all that?

peppy870

Lil-Rokslider
How much I paid, or how much my wife thinks I paid, lol! The scope got it up there, but I thought the gun itself was reasonable. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t cheap, but I saved a long time for a custom build!

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
How much I paid, or how much my wife thinks I paid, lol! The scope got it up there, but I thought the gun itself was reasonable. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t cheap, but I saved a long time for a custom build!
Lmao! That's a good answer lol. My wife thinks this was under $1000 and that my Hoyt Rx7 was $500 🤣🤣🤣