Danner Pronghorn?

grfox92

WKR
I noticed no one chimed in here so I figure I'd give you my observation about the Pronghorns. Note; I've never owned a pair.

Before I knew about Rokslide years ago, I spent time on ArcheryTalk. Whenever there was a boot thread, the VAST majority always said Danner Pronghorns no ifs ands or buts about it were the best boots you can spend your money on.

After finding Rokslide and on my quest for the right boots for myself *for western hunting*, I discovered that no one on here and I mean no one had a single thing good to say about the Pronghorn. In fact quite the opposite opinion.

The difference is the majority of ArcheryTalk guys are treestand whitetail hunters, and the majority of Roksliders are Western Mountain hunters. Different boots for different terrain.

If you are a member on AT I would suggest trying this thread over there and I'm sure you will get more responses from people who have worn the boots. In my experience this crowd turns they're nose up at them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I have an uninsulated pair that I like well enough. Wish I had gotten them a half size bigger.

Clarence

WKR
They have a reputation over the years of stretching out on longer mountain hunts, and then proceeding to shred feet. Watched it happen to my brother. Perhaps they changed the leather used, but I would spend my money on a boot with a better reputation for mountain hunting, if that's what you're looking to do. My .02

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I have an uninsulated pair for early season hunting that I love. No issues with stretching but I'm old school when it comes to leather boots. I buy them tight and break them in just like cowboy boots. After the break in period, I have had zero hot spots and they fit great even after many miles up and down the hills. I'm sure better boots are made but for the price, they are a solid option imo.

Fowlman

FNG
I have used pronghorn boots for 15 year.
I love pronghorns for day hunts and most of my more flatland hunting. With that said I used them on a couple more involved hunts with steep, rocky tearain with heavy wts. This is were Danner Pronghorns do not shine.
True mountain hunting with heavy wts. And really steep terrain they do not do well.
I do still love these boots and will always have a pair. But not for everything.

My 2 cents.

Rich M

WKR
I have a pair from 2017.
Love em. Used em antelope and open country mule deer hunting. Also wear em swamp whitetail hunting down here.

they are sitting in the garage waiting for scouting to ramp up.

they hold my feet nice.

VernAK

WKR
I had the Gen I boot for every day wear and flatland hunting and they were great......I wore out two pair. My pheasant hunting partners all wore em.

The third pair was a later Gen and they sucked. Not sure what the newest generation looks like as there are no dealers here any longer.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
I like them, pretty breathable which is important for me. For reference, in 0 degrees I wore these with some wool boot socks and was comfortable. YMMV. However I wanted a high ankle boot that I could feel the terrain... kind of like driving a car that doesnt have as much feedback in drive feel, I feel like not being connected to the terrain with your steps is how you end up rolling an ankle. So it does not have alot of cushion, but will protect your feet well enough. No issues with them, but I do wish they were a little stiffer in the ankle, but I'm just really prone to rolled ankles.

I went through 3 pairs from 2010 to 2018. They were ok for deer and bird hunting, but wore out surprisingly quickly and were never warm (always dry though). As soon as I went into the mountains I started sliding around like crazy and they tore my feet up. My brother has worn them for the same time period, never got a single blister, and got a lot more life out of his than I ever did. I have high arches and narrow feet, his are wide and flat. He obviously thinks they're a great value and I can't believe I stuck with them as long as I did.

j_volt

WKR
I love mine for bird hunting, but I go through a pair every year. I typically can get Danner to replace the boots on warranty every other year.

Fatcamp

WKR
Stretched my toe box with Ziploc bags of water and modified my lacing. Fitting way better now.

I have a 4th gen pair, I like the styling of them over the newest generation. I went to those from a cheap pair of leather work boots so they were a major upgrade for me. I do agree with other posts about them not doing well in steep terrain but for me they do well enough. But I haven't had any issues of them leaking water or giving me blisters. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews with danner over recent years it seems you either love them or hate them.