Darn Tough too Darn Tight! Alternatives?

Been wearing Darn Tough Westerner socks. Knee high, medium thickness. After a couple washes they are all way too tight. Feels like they reduce circulation and give me cold feet in winter.

I wear size 10 boots. Tried their large size socks, but even these are tight, especially in the calf. For contrast, I have several pairs of good old Browning socks, and even after 3 years they are still flexible and not tight, but stay up without sagging. Problem is they are 65% acrylic.

Any wool knee high socks that aren't silly tight?

SwampBone

FNG
I throw mine in with my regular laundry. Just buy the next size up for your foot size. Any future shrinkage will hardly be noticeable.

TN2shot07

WKR
The last couple of seasons I’ve been running the Kenetrek socks. I have wide feet and haven’t had any issues with being too tight. They’ve held up really well so far.

ive run the gamut with Darns... they are quality but different sizing than most socks ive ever owned.i still use them but...even gentle wash cycle and air dry dont help.if you get a bigger size the distance from toe to heal will bunch up with all the extra material. your gonna have to try other brands.the Kuiu socks have been a looser fit. i also like the Buffalo wool Co. socks. they make different thickness version but are pricey.i have several pair of 5 year old Ice Breaker socks that have been great too.

nrh6.7

WKR
I size out as a large on DT's site, but bought xl and they are perfect for me. The initial couple of washes are important to ensure they don't shrink on you.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have used Darn Tough, Smartwool, REI brand, Fits, and Wigwam wool socks. All will shrink if you wash them with hot water or throw them in the dryer. Out of all of those, Darn Toughs are my favorite. Smartwool and REI don't stay up.

I wash on cold and air dry. Wool requires a little more attention, if you don't want to put in that extra work, you are better off going with something else.

BowTrout

FNG
I’ve had the same problem with one pair of the darn tough running socks but I’ve never had any with my darn tough hiking and hunting socks. I like the Lorpen socks too.

Vandy321

WKR
Mine made my feet go slightly numb this last Nov too. I don't notice it when I'm moving, but sit down my glass and my feet started to feel like they're were freezing. Didn't figure it out until a few weeks later...its the bank above the ankle on mine, entirely too tight.

OP
Mike Islander
Mine made my feet go slightly numb this last Nov too. I don't notice it when I'm moving, but sit down my glass and my feet started to feel like they're were freezing. Didn't figure it out until a few weeks later...its the bank above the ankle on mine, entirely too tight.

I first really noticed it by getting cold feet in my sleeping bag.

Just read how to unshrink wool. Going to try that.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Oddly enough, at Ranger school most guys said they had the opposite issue. They would go down a size because after wearing them for a couple days, they would loosen up a bit and then slip or cause friction on your feet. I wear a 9.5 regular width boot and bought medium Darn Toughs. I didn’t feel they were excessively tight and I also didn’t get a single blister through all of Ranger school. These were the extra cushion, over calf, tactical line of socks.
They are excellent socks, I guess you could try sizing up, or go for some hikes to get them to break in more. Or maybe try a dofferent style of sock from them. I have a couple pairs of the Hunter sock too. They work great and may be a hair looser fit than the tactical ones I bought.

Great socks. But I've noticed some compression issues as well.

I don't think it's the socks fault, just swelling feet from miles. Had solid indents where the sock compressed my calves after doing 20 miles lol. Wasn't bad just interesting.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
You said you’re wearing knee high socks. Have you tried shorter length socks? Possibly the compression on your legs is too much? I can’t wear any sock higher than crew. DT socks have held up well for me. Good luck.