DBM magazines for WSM/SAUM

I am setting up a 7SAUM but ran into something I found interesting and wanted to get some of the more experienced rifle guys take on if this is just a poor design or a defective magazine.

Rifle was built by Dallas Lane, Defiance action in an XLR folder, and feeds beautifully with the Accurate Mag 3 round wsm/SAUM/PRC mag they sell.

But then I also bought a Curtis Customs WSM/SAUM 3 round flush fit mag. It’s a work of art and makes the Accurate mag look like cheap junk…but the damn thing feeds the bullet down, not up to hit the feed ramp. It’s impossible to get a round to go.

This has to be a design flaw right? I will call them later today and see what they say, just thought someone may have some insight or some commentary on it. And maybe someone else is about to drop $130 on a Curtis mag and should see this.

Attachments

• F7D45F12-4FDB-4A6F-BCD7-5F9826286DD6.jpeg
    F7D45F12-4FDB-4A6F-BCD7-5F9826286DD6.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 848C0802-468C-489B-A7A7-03D4BE49F107.jpeg
    848C0802-468C-489B-A7A7-03D4BE49F107.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 61

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In order to get the magazine in are you having to force it in there? We haven't tested any of those magazines and to my knowledge, there isn't a 3 round mag that works with the chassis as of right now. We tried the Hawkins and they were just a touch too short to fit in the chassis. I will get back with you on this!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mag looks like maybe feed lips are holding the round low/wrong. Maybe measure it compared to the accurate mag.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Mag looks like maybe feed lips are holding the round low/wrong. Maybe measure it compared to the accurate mag.
That's what I was just looking at! Check on the back and make sure that it is marked as a WSM/PRC mag and not a standard mag.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's what I was just looking at! Check on the back and make sure that it is marked as a WSM/PRC mag and not a standard mag.
A picture from the top to see the feed lips would help. Sure looks like the feed lips are pushing it low and angled wrong in the magazine. Might be wrong mag or marked wrong. Or, just needs tweaked a tiny tiny bit to open them up.

Reactions: XLR

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A picture from the top to see the feed lips would help. Sure looks like the feed lips are pushing it low and angled wrong in the magazine. Might be wrong mag or marked wrong. Or, just needs tweaked a tiny tiny bit to open them up.
For sure! That is also the only issue with the billet mags is you can't really tweak them without removing material! I agree though it sure looks like the feed lips are keeping that round pretty low!

OP
B
I’ll take some more pictures and post them tonight. I went to the Curtis customs website earlier to get a number to call them and I noticed when you click to shop magazines it’s goes to “page not found.” Maybe they don’t even make them anymore…

I could have been shipped a wrong model, but when I bought that mag it was listed as a WSM mag and I called to see if they thought it would work with a SAUM and they seemed to think no problem. The dang thing was $130 if I recall, so I called to verify. Maybe there is a case diameter issue between say a 300wsm and a 7SAUM.

It is not harder to load or manually extract rounds, which adds to the mystery. I have 3 loads made up, 1 with some cheap used Winchester brass and Winchester 150gr power point bullets to break in the barrel, then I have loads with ADG brass and 162 ELDX and the same ADG brass and some 162 ELD’s. All three load and feed the same.

On the fit in the chassis mag well, it slides right in with not much effort; but you can see on the picture, it’s rubbing a little more than the accurate mag. But I wouldn’t call it tight.

I’ll follow up tonight or tomorrow morning with more when I get home.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ll take some more pictures and post them tonight. I went to the Curtis customs website earlier to get a number to call them and I noticed when you click to shop magazines it’s goes to “page not found.” Maybe they don’t even make them anymore…

I could have been shipped a wrong model, but when I bought that mag it was listed as a WSM mag and I called to see if they thought it would work with a SAUM and they seemed to think no problem. The dang thing was $130 if I recall, so I called to verify. Maybe there is a case diameter issue between say a 300wsm and a 7SAUM.

It is not harder to load or manually extract rounds, which adds to the mystery. I have 3 loads made up, 1 with some cheap used Winchester brass and Winchester 150gr power point bullets to break in the barrel, then I have loads with ADG brass and 162 ELDX and the same ADG brass and some 162 ELD’s. All three load and feed the same.

On the fit in the chassis mag well, it slides right in with not much effort; but you can see on the picture, it’s rubbing a little more than the accurate mag. But I wouldn’t call it tight.

I’ll follow up tonight or tomorrow morning with more when I get home.
Take a few pics and send them over! If you look at the rear of the magazine most of the manufacturers stamp on the back what caliber they are made for but it could have been mismarked too. As far as the saum and Wsm go, they both should be ran out of the same magazine so that shouldn't be the issue!

Throw some pictures and we can see if we can help you out! You can always send pictures over to our Instagram account after hours and I can help you out!

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I know this doesn't really help your issue, but I run my 7 SAUM Lone Peak Fuzion Ti in an XLR Magnesium 4.0 Chassis. I used MDT SAUM mags and had Kinsport Peak Rifles cut them down to 4 rounders. I've not had any issue running them, and I've run long 180's and shorter 150's out of it with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
B
Well I figured it out and it was simple, just needed to test it with a short action non magnum. Should have done that the day I found the feeding issue with it…

Feeds perfectly fine in my 6creed with the same defiance anti action. So Curtis was saying these were wsm mags, and like I said I called and vividly remember speaking to a lady and asked if it would work for WSM AND Saums…but it’s clearly just a SA mag. The Curtis mag is not stamped at all, just has the Curtis logo on it. The accurate mag clearly is stamped

At least I have a rifle I can still use it with and it’s not a total loss.

Attachments

• A9251EDA-E3D5-4999-9897-DC82BB8689AF.jpeg
    A9251EDA-E3D5-4999-9897-DC82BB8689AF.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 7ABBF1AA-06A4-461A-8D8A-6FBB94E42AEC.jpeg
    7ABBF1AA-06A4-461A-8D8A-6FBB94E42AEC.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 25