Dealing with disrespectful hunters...

OP
S

steiney42

FNG
Should have talked to him. Maybe it was someone else who just happened to be there or something else happened that you never saw. Maybe he saw a different buck. Maybe he is posting somewhere else that you are a total prick who just bailed on him and never talked to him. Who knows what really happened?

Most times I think I know everything and pissed about it, there is some part I’m missing that at least partly explains or justifies the other person’s actions. I’ll guarantee if this other guy could come here and tell his side of the story it would sound different and if you would have communicated with him afterwards you wouldn’t be here posting this.
I sat there for about 10 minutes after he shot debating if I should talk to him but I was definitely not in the state of mind to have a conversation with him. knowing myself, it would have ended in a screaming match or worse...
And in terms of it being someone else, I know for a fact it was not someone else, I talked to him before the stalk for a while and he definitely knew the bucks I was going after. We even talked about what the best approach would be and that he would help guide me into the deer if needed. In my opinion, there isn't much he could have said to justify his actions at that point.

I sat there for about 10 minutes after he shot debating if I should talk to him but I was definitely not in the state of mind to have a conversation with him. knowing myself, it would have ended in a screaming match or worse...
And in terms of it being someone else, I know for a fact it was not someone else, I talked to him before the stalk for a while and he definitely knew the bucks I was going after. We even talked about what the best approach would be and that he would help guide me into the deer if needed. In my opinion, there isn't much he could have said to justify his actions at that point.
So I wasn’t there, but that doesn’t sound like a fact. Sounds like you are stating your conclusions as facts. Did you actually see the shooter afterwards?

Still think there is a strong possibility a conversation could have cleared some things up.

I would say after a conversation, if it turns out as you assumed, then you have grounds to be mad, but without talking to him and only making assumptions…well you know what they say about that.

All that being said, if you know you have anger management issues and couldn’t approach the situation rationally, you probably did the right thing by just walking away.

AK EricB

FNG
Soo lame! I've had a number of bad encounters in Oregon and Washington. Thankfully that kind of thing is rare here. You made the right choice just getting out of there.

Ric0

FNG
I know your frustration. It happens here in western Washington all the time. I've had a father and son do a very similar thing to me. They came up behind us saw us putting a stock on a buck. We couldn't see them sprinting through the timber to get a head of us. The son shot got it on the 4th shot. Disgusts me that a human would teach his son that disrespecting others is okay. Just so you can brag about it on social media. I've found its best to save room for the wrath of God.

Pretty much the same story here on my elk hunt. Watching an elk in its bed in hunter orange looking through glass. Next thing I know 2 guys come running up right next us pull out their rifle and start shooting at luckily they missed and I laughed than they ran off. Honestly these last 3-4 years people have gotten so disrespectful it’s very hard to enjoy the great outdoors.