Debone to cross state lines?

bpa556

FNG
Again, the only ones that have authority are the state of origination and the final destination of residency.

Nobody between MT and PA have a pot to piss in...

In addition, according to the rules of the English language, Montana does NOT require boning game (unless someone post Montana’s legal definition of “quarter” to exclude bones).

The first bullet in post 6 includes a semicolon. That indicates separate clauses in a sentence.

The clause before the semicolon indicates meat packaged for consumption.

The clause after the semicolon indicates rough quartering is acceptable so long as there is no vector for brain/spinal fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
Can't debone in Texas, You have to have front and rear quarters, backstaps. If you debone it according to them, They can't tell sex and how many Deer you harvested? I called them and I am throughly confused. If you leave the state and go through NM or OK. or LA. They state the same all deboned no spinal heads etc. ??????? I guess your suppose to process it at the border????????
Don't have to debone for NM or OK. Quarters are ok. No spine or brains. I don't know anything about LA.

bpa556

FNG
Can't debone in Texas, You have to have front and rear quarters, backstaps. If you debone it according to them, They can't tell sex and how many Deer you harvested? I called them and I am throughly confused. If you leave the state and go through NM or OK. or LA. They state the same all deboned no spinal heads etc. ??????? I guess your suppose to process it at the border????????

There is no regulation against boning quarters in Texas. You just can’t “finally process” it (muscle it out or package for consumption) and must leave proof of sex attached to a rear quarter.

In addition, according to the rules of the English language, Montana does NOT require boning game (unless someone post Montana’s legal definition of “quarter” to exclude bones).

The first bullet in post 6 includes a semicolon. That indicates separate clauses in a sentence.

The clause before the semicolon indicates meat packaged for consumption.

The clause after the semicolon indicates rough quartering is acceptable so long as there is no vector for brain/spinal fluid.

Okay? And...?

They're protecting the deer herd in the home state. The 2 diseases are very similar, but not the same. Different strains.
they arent protecting any thing. It will walk across just like it has in most places. Assuming they didnt or dont get it from livestock in some form or fashion already

The odds of them getting it from improperly discarded brain or bone material is still less then winning Powerball 4x in a row.

USDA has already confirmed its the same. The profile is exactly the same with western blot, and confusion came from another test, but once the locked at different locations with in cervids, it was same.

We can argue for days but in the end ground zero of the first observation was in a former sheep/scrapie's facility. Also been proven its can go both ways from sheep to deer and deer to sheep.

Last edited:
There is no regulation against boning quarters in Texas. You just can’t “finally process” it (muscle it out or package for consumption) and must leave proof of sex attached to a rear quarter.

this is COMPLETELY wrong

for all deer taken in Texas there absolutely is!!! Only way you can go beyond qtr is if you have a type 1 or type 2 cold storage facility with log, or it has “reached” final destination.

I know this as fact from experience.

bpa556

FNG
this is COMPLETELY wrong

for all deer taken in Texas there absolutely is!!! Only way you can go beyond qtr is if you have a type 1 or type 2 cold storage facility with log, or it has “reached” final destination.

I know this as fact from experience.

I hope you took it to court instead of paying the fine.

The TPWD definition of quartered does not prohibit boning:

“Quartered
A deer or pronghorn is considered quartered when the forequarters, hindquarters, and back straps have been completely severed from the carcass.”

Cutting the muscle groups from the bone, while leaving them intact, is legal.

I know this fact from experience…

I hope you took it to court instead of paying the fine.

The TPWD definition of quartered does not prohibit boning:

“Quartered
A deer or pronghorn is considered quartered when the forequarters, hindquarters, and back straps have been completely severed from the carcass.”

Cutting the muscle groups from the bone, while leaving them intact, is legal.

I know this fact from experience…

sorry but that is wrong its well defined, and yes I took it to court.

• A deer and pronghorn may be skinned and quartered (two forequarters, two hindquarters, and two backstraps) for transport, provided the quartered deer or pronghorn is tagged and proof of sex accompanies the deer or pronghorn. See Cold Storage or Processing Facility for exceptions.
  • Deer or pronghorn may only be processed beyond quarters at a location that qualifies as a final destination.

The OP’s question was weather or not it was legal to debone in Montana. There has been no evidence provided thus far indicating it is illegal.

Then maybe you should've quoted the OP?

My statement is simply that states are not obligated to enforce the statutes of other states...

Jethro

WKR
The OP’s question was weather or not it was legal to debone in Montana. There has been no evidence provided thus far indicating it is illegal.

The OP's question was if it is required to debone to get the meat back to CO.

Weldor

WKR
I know Utah ,AZ, NM, CO,in the past have had check stations with all 4 state agencys there. Same in the east , Wisconsin, Mich, etc. It seems like a mess to me. They all need to get together and figure a nation wide regulation if their that concerned about it. I called Arizona game and fish and all I got was a runaround, Biologist could not give me any info,said she would call back. Game warden sent to the Biologist. It is stated in the AZ regs. that you can't bring in bone spine, brain etc. Like said earlier are you supposed to stop at the state line and process it. LOL If you travel through multiple states it a s__t show.

I know that New York passed a law a few years back that only allows deboned meat to come into the state and when it comes to horns/antlers.. no brain matter is allowed either. has to come with skull plate cut off or all brain cleaned out (example, euro mount) from the head.

wytx

WKR
they arent protecting any thing. It will walk across just like it has in most places. Assuming they didnt or dont get it from livestock in some form or fashion already

The odds of them getting it from improperly discarded brain or bone material is still less then winning Powerball 4x in a row.

USDA has already confirmed its the same. The profile is exactly the same with western blot, and confusion came from another test, but once the locked at different locations with in cervids, it was same.

We can argue for days but in the end ground zero of the first observation was in a former sheep/scrapie's facility. Also been proven its can go both ways from sheep to deer and deer to sheep.
Where did you get your USDA info because I know researchers at the lab here are not saying it is the same as scrapies.

From a researcher working on CWD for years now, with multiple published papers, retired this year.

CWD is not scrapie and scrapie is not CWD. There are several theories that CWD originated from scrapie (just as BSE did in Europe), which could be correct. For the most part, prion diseases are very specific in regards to the species they infect, with little cross-over to other species (also known as a species barrier). Scientists have learned how to overcome the species barrier by directly infecting the brain of the test animal, which bypasses an animal's normal defenses to disease. But sometimes, one passage of the agent through the brain isn't enough (strong species barrier) and they use the brain from the first experimentally infected animal to infect another (two passages). By passing the prion through two infections, the prion adapts to the new species and is able to cause disease. This is how they were able to get CWD to infect sheep; by making two passages of CWD into Suffolk lambs. If scrapie and CWD were the same disease, the sheep would have been equally susceptible to CWD as deer were to scrapie; not to mention the animals could have been infected naturally, rather than injecting the brain.

Where did you get your USDA info because I know researchers at the lab here are not saying it is the same as scrapies.

From a researcher working on CWD for years now, with multiple published papers, retired this year.

CWD is not scrapie and scrapie is not CWD. There are several theories that CWD originated from scrapie (just as BSE did in Europe), which could be correct. For the most part, prion diseases are very specific in regards to the species they infect, with little cross-over to other species (also known as a species barrier). Scientists have learned how to overcome the species barrier by directly infecting the brain of the test animal, which bypasses an animal's normal defenses to disease. But sometimes, one passage of the agent through the brain isn't enough (strong species barrier) and they use the brain from the first experimentally infected animal to infect another (two passages). By passing the prion through two infections, the prion adapts to the new species and is able to cause disease. This is how they were able to get CWD to infect sheep; by making two passages of CWD into Suffolk lambs. If scrapie and CWD were the same disease, the sheep would have been equally susceptible to CWD as deer were to scrapie; not to mention the animals could have been infected naturally, rather than injecting the brain.
Ma’am,
Dr. Justin Greenlee, USDA, used the Western Blot test, rather than the standard IHC and Elisa tests in his experiments.

The Western Blot test shows an in-depth molecular profile of the brain, allowing us to see the similar banding patterns of CWD and scrapie, specifically in the brainstem, lymph nodes, and cerebellum, making CWD and scrapie indistinguishable on the mo lecular level.

the Colorada State team only had IHC and Elisa test that showed a folded protein.

Its fastly becoming more about where you look and where you compare

and more recent

Last edited: