Deciding between separate bino/RF or all-in-one RF Binos

So I'm a beginning hunter, I chose to use bow and I'm gearing up for both local and out-of-state hunts...local will be deer, remote will be elk, hog, pronghorn.

So I know a lot of people love the RF Binos as it eliminates having to carry 2 devices and saving that weight. As well as the seconds saved switching from binos to RF. On the other hand once you get an RF bino you are stuck with whatever tech is current on the RF. I'm trying to decide and here is my thought process, please let me know if I'm thinking about this correctly.

I'm leaning towards separate binos and RF because as a bow hunter the binos are used to search large areas for elk for example, and to help identify elk vs a funny looking bush over distances. The assumption on my part is that knowing the distance to a distant elk isn't time-critical - since it could be a mile distant I have time to range it or hoof it over before needing the RF. Since I'm not hunting with a rifle (although this is a possibility in the future) I don't need ranging out beyond 100 yards for a shot, only to know perhaps how far I have to hike over to stalk the game. So I have plenty of time in hand if I want to switch to an RF to figure out distances.

Then, once I'm within bow range of an elk, I really don't need binos - with the typical 7x of an RF (I'm thinking of the Leica either 2400 or 2800) I can use that to range shooting lanes (if setting up) or to the elk if I'm spot and stalking...it seems that there's less a need to use a RF bino once I'm within a couple of hundred yards anyway as I'd be taking a 50 yard shot or less.

Is my thought process correct or am I missing something here.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most archers find dealing with a larger device such as a range finding bino causes too much movement at close quarters at the end of a stalk, within bow range, so we generally prefer separate binos and a smaller hand held rangefinder.

Leupold RX-4 fulldraw is a good choice for bowhunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
I have ranging binos and for my archery hunts, I still pack a small RF attached to my bino harness. The binos are a pain the ass for close range IMO. I use them for long range shooting.

Nethero

WKR
So I'm a beginning hunter, I chose to use bow and I'm gearing up for both local and out-of-state hunts...local will be deer, remote will be elk, hog, pronghorn.

So I know a lot of people love the RF Binos as it eliminates having to carry 2 devices and saving that weight. As well as the seconds saved switching from binos to RF. On the other hand once you get an RF bino you are stuck with whatever tech is current on the RF. I'm trying to decide and here is my thought process, please let me know if I'm thinking about this correctly.

I'm leaning towards separate binos and RF because as a bow hunter the binos are used to search large areas for elk for example, and to help identify elk vs a funny looking bush over distances. The assumption on my part is that knowing the distance to a distant elk isn't time-critical - since it could be a mile distant I have time to range it or hoof it over before needing the RF. Since I'm not hunting with a rifle (although this is a possibility in the future) I don't need ranging out beyond 100 yards for a shot, only to know perhaps how far I have to hike over to stalk the game. So I have plenty of time in hand if I want to switch to an RF to figure out distances.

Then, once I'm within bow range of an elk, I really don't need binos - with the typical 7x of an RF (I'm thinking of the Leica either 2400 or 2800) I can use that to range shooting lanes (if setting up) or to the elk if I'm spot and stalking...it seems that there's less a need to use a RF bino once I'm within a couple of hundred yards anyway as I'd be taking a 50 yard shot or less.

Is my thought process correct or am I missing something here.
I find it difficult to hold my bow in my offhand while using binoculars singlehanded, let alone also trying to use the rangefinder function of RF binos. A lower magnification stand-alone rangefinder is invaluable in these situations and I would recommend having one for archery hunting.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I use my bins a lot and literally 99% of the times I put them up I don’t need a RF. I don’t want to lift that extra weight every time for the 1% of times I need it. I also do a lot of just plain wildlife and bird watching with no need for a RF. That’s aside from the issue of having excellent binoculars becoming a brick when the RF is not working or is outclassed by new technology.

Wrench

WKR
My record for owning quality binos is 20 years. My record for quality rf is 7. Rf quality and technology are expanding. If my optics never get better, that's not a handicap.

OMB

WKR
I've always run them separate and much prefer it that way. I keep my rangefinder on a tether where it can drop away from my harness and not get in the away if I absolutely need to drop it and start my draw cycle. I don't think that I would even do it different if I only rifle hunted.

Slugz

WKR
I like
Separate bowhunting/muzzleloader.
Range finding bino rifle hunting.

Wapiti1

WKR
The only thing I'll add is you don't save any weight with an all in one unit. My Geovids weigh within a couple of ounces what my separate rangefinder plus 10X42 binos do. You can save weight better with separates by downsizing the binos to 8X30's.

I'm like others on here. Geovids for rifle, and general glassing. Separates for archery and I almost never carry binocs when I'm archery hunting. My RF is just fine for elk or deer stalking.

Jeremy

Bump on this thread. For those that have made the switch from separate units had it been worthwhile assuming mid tier glass?

bpurtz

WKR
I find it difficult to hold my bow in my offhand while using binoculars singlehanded, let alone also trying to use the rangefinder function of RF binos. A lower magnification stand-alone rangefinder is invaluable in these situations and I would recommend having one for archery hunting.
When I'm hunting in the timber I hold my bow in my left hand and with the binos in my right hand rest the optics on top of the limb and up against the cam.

I find the glass quality, besides Swarovski, this includes Zeiss RF, is too diminished for my liking. I sold my Zeiss RF’s after one 5 day mule deer hunt. I honestly couldn’t stand the binos and went right back to my EL’s.

If I was guiding hunters though I’d have an RF Bino to help folks with quick ranging.

With mid tier, that’s a big no. If I was doing PRS matches regularly though and glass quality wasn’t everything I’d definitely own a pair of Fury HD’s or Sig with AB.

handwerk

WKR
I have been using Geovids for the last 8+ years and have been very happy with them. I also own EL SV's and to my eyes the difference in view is very little and when rifle hunting almost always take the Geovids. Over the years I've owned several generations of Geovids and never had any issues with them.
One thing often overlooked is how much easier it is to range stuff with a RF bino than a small handheld RF.