Decoy for Antelope

grfox92

WKR
Has anyone stalked in on an antelope with a decoy like the one pictured.

I have a tag for a very open prarie, zero cover type unit. I've shot two there with a rifle in the past but want to try one with the bow.

I've seen these type of decoys work for bowhunters on Videos, but not sure if it would work in a heavily pressured unit like where I'm going to be.

So has anyone used one with success?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

MCS

FNG
I found they would stay until you get to 60-80 yards. They start getting nervouse when your under 100 yards. I never got one using the decoy but it was fun.

UTgrizzly

FNG
I am going to try decoying; one on my bow from Ultimate Predator and likely a fixed position one by Montana Decoys. This technique will likely be used if I cannot get a blind on a watering hole or fence crossing site.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I've had success last two seasons spot and stalk on antelope with the bow. I've found if I placed a decoy stationary they look at it but maintain distance and still be weary.

I have had great success using it to move in the open from a distance and try and bait them in by using it as a lure (making it appear it is cresting the hill, going in tall sage, etc and trying to get them to follow out of curiousty).

Every area could be different though, it's what's been proficient for me.

WCB

WKR
I don't see a picture...However, have used the bow mounted ones, Montana Decoy (broadside pose) and the MAD Commandelope....If you buy one not mounted to your bow sharpen the shit out of the stakes and make sure the stake has a leverage point to step down on or bring a small hard rubber hammer and be able to pound them in if hunting alone. If you have a buddy running the decoy not a big deal.

My favorite decoy is the Commandelope as it free stands in the wind better and doesn't blow your bow all over the place in the wind.

Trick with any decoy in my personal experience hunting them and killing a few with clients while guiding. Get as close as possible before you deploy it and if possible just use it to finish the stalk. Sun at your back helps a ton. Be ready and don't be afraid to shoot a moving goat. Had many come under 20 yards but never stop.

I have a handmade decoy that I have used to shoot five antelope bucks. Based it on the Mel Dutton decoy from 30 some years ago. Decoying works best in the pre-rut period. Get as close as possible, if you can position yourself with does between you and a herd buck you will get an immediate reaction. There is a period of literally 3-4 days where decoying is dynamite. When the first does hit estrous it begins to fall apart. it is very addicting and some of the most fun bow hunting out there. Just work at it and pay attention to what works and what does'nt.

Yes. I like the buck the best. I pushed a buck around for about 3 hrs before he finally got mad and came charging in. I stated about 400 yard out bird dogging him. I just kind of kept that 200 yard buffer zone, and slowly press him. He was actually on wrong side of fence to shoot, Finally he had enough and came hauling in under the fence and into bow distance, but died from a rifle

jmez

WKR
My experience is similar to most of the above. I would say they work about 1/10 times. You have to have the right antelope in the right situation. You don't just pop them up and they come running. If you aren't within 100 yards you aren't close enough.

Best luck I had was when there was a herd with satellite bucks around. When the dominant buck chases off a satellite get between him and his herd. Pop it up when he's on the way back.

Find a bedded herd and get as close as possible. Eventually some of the does will get up and start feeding. When the buck gets up to round them up pop up the decoy.

Both of those situations the decoys really work. Getting in the right spot undetected in both situations is really tough.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Tim Hoeck

FNG
Has anyone stalked in on an antelope with a decoy like the one pictured.

I have a tag for a very open prarie, zero cover type unit. I've shot two there with a rifle in the past but want to try one with the bow.

I've seen these type of decoys work for bowhunters on Videos, but not sure if it would work in a heavily pressured unit like where I'm going to be.

So has anyone used one with success?

Try to find a older Mel Dutton devoy

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
They help; getting inside 100 yards for open country spot & stalk is a win. Plan on being able to take a *close* shot at 70-80yards. I did have a herd stop and then come back to about 110 yards to see what was there while kneeling with the decoy.
imagejpeg_0.jpeg

If you are hunting where there is cattle sharing some of the pasture’s you can make a cheap cow decoy and use it to get closer. Me and a buddy read about this on the way to a goat hunt a number of years ago, and gave it a try. Got very close to getting an arrow released, a calf started going nuts about it as we got closer to the goats, definitely can work.

A buddy and I made a cow decoy when we first hunted antelope. We spotted a small herd and buck and I used the cow decoy and he had the antelope decoy. About fifteen minutes later we had 30 some cows standing around us in a semi-circle and no antelope in sight. Worked great for cows.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
If you are hunting where there is cattle sharing some of the pasture’s you can make a cheap cow decoy and use it to get closer. Me and a buddy read about this on the way to a goat hunt a number of years ago, and gave it a try. Got very close to getting an arrow released, a calf started going nuts about it as we got closer to the goats, definitely can work.
Hiw did you make the cow decoy?

I used a sheet of either 1/4'' or 3/8'' plywood. Found a picture of a broadside cow and drew it on the plywood and then got out a jigsaw. Painted it with no glare paint. My partner used two bike wheels and welded a frame that was attached at the bottom so we could roll it across the ground. We did manage to get 60-80 yards from a couple bucks. We gave up on the idea due to how hard it was to wheel the thing around in constant wind.

Hiw did you make the cow decoy?

We made it from cardboard and black paint that was picked up at a store in town on the way to camp. Really was pretty easy to make and was always something that was going to be tossed after our hunt. It did work for us to get closer, if I’m totally honest there was a bull in the pasture with us and we got a little nervous about that when we figured it out.

Ours was not as nice as what Grassymike made…

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
We made it from cardboard and black paint that was picked up at a store in town on the way to camp. Really was pretty easy to make and was always something that was going to be tossed after our hunt. It did work for us to get closer, if I’m totally honest there was a bull in the pasture with us and we got a little nervous about that when we figured it out.

Ours was not as nice as what Grassymike made…
I've got a half gallon of flat black exterior latex on hand haha.

I might try this.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if it counts as a decoy but anyone ever tried using the white flag method? Seems like everyone swears by it around here .