Deer/Pronghorn/Sheep/Mule Deer Caliber

You shouldn't need to go long to get 2900fps. I'm getting 2870fps with 140 grain Partitions in my 7-08 with a 20" barrel. 3000fps with 120 grain NBTs.

I load my bullets to 2.80" COAL.

What’s your partition load? I’ve got a Tikka compact with a 20” barrel I’m about to work up a load for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were building a rifle for everything smaller than elk it would definitely be a 6.5 Creed. It's been proven on game out to ranges way farther than most of us will ever shoot at critters, and it's soooo damn popular now that you can get ammo, reloading components, barrels, etc in nearly any configuration and price point you want. It shoots flat enough for long range shooting, recoil is mild, and there isn't a deer, sheep, or antelope on the planet that can survive a 130-140 grain bullet through the ribs.

Barrett Fieldcraft, 6.5 Swede.

I'm genuinely annoyed that I don't own one of these. The ol' Swede is a spectacular all round caliber. Cheap & easy to reload from mild to silly. I've got a custom built on a Savage action, 20" barrel & getting 2840 with 140s, 3100 with 129s

It’s hard to argue with the 6.5CM when you already have the .300 WM.

That would cover just about everything from Antelope to Elk.

I live in Houston right now too (Cypress) and if you want to shoot my 6.5CM, just let me know. I use mine for Antelope, Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Exotics here in TX.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

6.5 is the caliber IMO, I think you’re on the right track. 243, 257, and 277 can’t compete with hunting bullet options (6mm has great target bullets). The good 284 bullets need a little gas to get them moving fast enough to compete with 6.5s and I’ll take the reduced recoil.

6.5- creed, Swede, x284, PRC. Pick whichever floats your boat.

I have a 6.5prc and 6.5cm for deer and smaller game. Absolutely love them both. Easy to shoot and versatile. It would be hard to pick between the two.

Duplicate the .300, but chambered in 6.5x55. I mean if they were side by side and you have something obscuring the barrels, you'd have to look at the markings to see which was which.

Buddy of mine recently picked up a CA ridgeline in 6.5-284. With no load development; just picking one out of a book with new lapua brass and 143 eldx (iirc) i shot some .4” groups with it. Then we rang steel at 550y with it. I only have factory toyed with rifles, this one was very nice to my redneck hands.

I like my 25-06 for that game selection but the disclaimer would be with premium bullets. I almost sold mine after my dad had sierra gamekings and ssts lodge in the nearside shoulder of big mule deer past 400 yards. Monolithics really have woken mine up and I can fully endorse the cartridge. I would recommend it only with a 1:9 twist or tighter though.

There are a lot of better cartridges on paper and with ideal situations where you can plug everything in a calculator. I recently went on a pronghorn hunt with two fellow hunters armed with a 6.5 creedmoor and a .308. The clay was very wet and getting ranges proved very difficult for whatever reason. The 6.5 creedmoor was very difficult to use with a 100 yard zero without precise ranges. The .308 was the same. Everyone got their antelope but the 25-06 took the first two. One at 180 and one at 375 both without laser rangefinders. The .308 and 6.5 creedmoor took their antelope at under 150 yards after a handful of misses and 4 days of hunting. The 3 different rangefinders not working well is an extreme case but fast and flat with low recoil still has it's place in the high tech present. However a 6.5 with 100-120 grain bullets could be a better option than with the slow fast dropping 140's for real world hunting at 500 yards and in.

Last edited:
Sounds like more of a rangefinder and shooting issue than cartridge. Probably 12" different in drop at 500 between a suped up 110 in a 270 and 140 in 6.5 CM.

Practice makes meat...

I like the 6.5, 7mm08, and 308 for close range work on deer. Easy to shoot, carry and practice without breaking the bank or your shoulder. I’d stay within 500 yards though.

Or get a 50 BMG. that’s a good choice too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the 6.5CM and 7mm-08 are are definitely my favorite "deer" rounds. I just picked up a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 and it very well may be my favorite gun I have owned. A lightweight/compact rifle that recoils very little and kills what i'm aiming at. What's not to love?!

7mm-08 all the way. Doesnt damage much meant with proper placement and bullet construction. Light recoiling, easy handling. I have an old Rem Model 7 from years ago, still my go to rifle when hunting. Basically whatever you use, shoot the heck out of it. Ive been more comfortable with that 'little' 7mm than larger rifles becasue it feels so good in my hands and i know the rifle. Good luck.

I like my 25-06 for that game selection but the disclaimer would be with premium bullets. I almost sold mine after my dad had sierra gamekings and ssts lodge in the nearside shoulder of big mule deer past 400 yards. Monolithics really have woken mine up and I can fully endorse the cartridge. I would recommend it only with a 1:9 twist or tighter though.

There are a lot of better cartridges on paper and with ideal situations where you can plug everything in a calculator. I recently went on a pronghorn hunt with two fellow hunters armed with a 6.5 creedmoor and a .308. The clay was very wet and getting ranges proved very difficult for whatever reason. The 6.5 creedmoor was very difficult to use with a 100 yard zero without precise ranges. The .308 was the same. Everyone got their antelope but the 25-06 took the first two. One at 180 and one at 375 both without laser rangefinders. The .308 and 6.5 creedmoor took their antelope at under 150 yards after a handful of misses and 4 days of hunting. The 3 different rangefinders not working well is an extreme case but fast and flat with low recoil still has it's place in the high tech present. However a 6.5 with 100-120 grain bullets could be a better option than with the slow fast dropping 140's for real world hunting at 500 yards and in.

If they held a couple inches high at 150 yards they would be dead on. Craftsman issue, not the tool.

Even to 300 you would only be dropping 12-13".

If they held a couple inches high at 150 yards they would be dead on. Craftsman issue, not the tool.

Even to 300 you would only be dropping 12-13".

Definitely the wrong choice of bullet weight and zeroing distance with the 6.5 for that hunt. Keep in mind this was all on foot antelope hunting 7 plus miles from the truck so it’s not like you can just quickly drive to the next herd and get a better opportunity. The 150 yard shots were both one shot kills so no issue there. The misses were all good on windage shots but low at ranges from 270 to 350ish. We were having to do it the old school way and estimating ranges. Not ideal but that’s how hunting was for thousands of years so... The flat shooting caliber sighted in at 250 yards as a zero was truly in its element. And honestly with the public land I hunt for deer and elk I don’t always get time to get exact ranges. A lot of times things have to happen really fast or not at all. Opportunities are also limited so you can’t just wait till next time. I guess my point was that for normal ranges (500 and in) there still is a place for a cartridge that shoots flat and fast even if it doesn’t have the highest BC. 6-10inches difference in drop with a minimum recoil penalty can be the difference in filling the freezer or not some years. If you plan on shooting over 500 by all means go heavy for caliber but if not I don’t think the trade off in range forgiveness is worth it.

Back