Deer skin tanning help

F_Man

FNG
Need some advice/help for two deer skins I tanned a couple of weeks ago (hair on). This is my first attempt at tanning any hides. I used the orange deer hunters and trappers bottle. Followed all of the directions and the hides turned out ok except now they are pretty stiff and the edges are rippled. I was trying to get them to be soft and lay flat. I gather I didn't stretch them enough while drying. I did stretch and saw the hide turn white, but Im guessing I should have continued to keep working until completely dry. It seemed like it took about 36 hrs to dry in my shop that was 55 degrees.

Anyway what is the best way to get these to be soft again? I have tried rewetting and working smaller areas but they seem to get rough again a few days later.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I've never used that product for tanning so there may be some specifics but in general with other products I have found the following to be true. You will need to rehydrate the hides and possibly need to add more oil. You need to break and stretch the hides until they are completely dry. In practice this means that when you think it is dry, keep going because it isn't. It might be dry on the surface but it still has moisture in the center. The closer you get to the hide being dry the more you have to stay with it. IF you need to take a break, you can put the hide in a plastic bag and come back to it.

mi650

WKR
I tried using that stuff once, and it was a miserable failure. Most likely due to me more that it.

I just wanted a tanned hide, didn't really care if it was mine. We used to go to a winter carnival every year at Houghton Lake, Tip-Up-Town. There was a vendor who sold hides for $50, but being a cheapskate, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. 1 year, he had a blem for $20. I bought that one! :ROFLMAO:

OP
F

F_Man

FNG
I've never used that product for tanning so there may be some specifics but in general with other products I have found the following to be true. You will need to rehydrate the hides and possibly need to add more oil. You need to break and stretch the hides until they are completely dry. In practice this means that when you think it is dry, keep going because it isn't. It might be dry on the surface but it still has moisture in the center. The closer you get to the hide being dry the more you have to stay with it. IF you need to take a break, you can put the hide in a plastic bag and come back to it.

The point about feeling dry on the surface but not on the outside is probably where I messed up. And good tip on putting it in the trash bag. Thanks!

OP
F

F_Man

FNG
I tried using that stuff once, and it was a miserable failure. Most likely due to me more that it.

I just wanted a tanned hide, didn't really care if it was mine. We used to go to a winter carnival every year at Houghton Lake, Tip-Up-Town. There was a vendor who sold hides for $50, but being a cheapskate, I couldn't bring myself to buy one. 1 year, he had a blem for $20. I bought that one! :ROFLMAO:

I defiantly have more than $20 with time and materials into this project! Sounds like a good buy!

mi650

WKR
I defiantly have more than $20 with time and materials into this project! Sounds like a good buy!
It was, and it's still holding up nicely about 20 years later. I use it for a pic background sometimes. :)

pWjcHrm.jpg