Rattlesnake Skin Tanning

Hey everyone. I've got a rattlesnake skin and I'm looking for advice on tanning for practical use rather than hanging it. I've done a lot of research however 95% of what I can find is the same solution. Soak in alcohol and glycerin. But from what I've read this is not a "real tanning procedure" and has subpar results if you're planning on actually using the skin. I got a bottle of Deer Hunters and Trappers Hide Tanning Formula and was going to follow the directions for hide tanning. Does anyone have any helpful input? Thank you!

logem

FNG
I've only staked them out on a board and applied salt, but this makes for a stiff skin and not practical for typical use.

BBob

WKR
Soak in alcohol and glycerin. But from what I've read this is not a "real tanning procedure" and has subpar results if you're planning on actually using the skin.
I can confirm that that only keeps it from rotting but it isn't much useful at all except for looking at it. It's kind of a thick ish rubbery texture. I never did more than that one many years ago so I don't know what advice to give to do one so you could actually use it.

OP
A
Thank you for the input on both of those methods. I just fleshed it out real nice and I suppose that I'll give this deer hunters formula a shot. Got it packed with salt right now and we'll see where it goes. I'll keep you guys updated!

I soaked one in glycerin for a couple weeks and it seems fine. Usually on a shelf in garage but kids will play with it from time to time.

I got a snake this summer that I want to tan as well. I found this three part blog post that seemed like a good set of clear and specific instructions. They also sell a kit with all the materials if desired.

I have not done mine yet, but plan on following this guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following along. I'm looking for a craftsman who can make a dog collar out of a skin. My 10 year old Lab got hammered by one and I'd like to make a collar out of it.

Swamp Fox

WKR
All I can tell you is that if you come across he antifreeze method, be careful how long you leave the skin to soak.

I used to have a really nice blue-green copperhead hide many years ago, LOL.

I learned that for stuff like this, it pays to practice.

wytx

WKR
Snake Tan
Tan A Snake
Knoblochs Reptile Tan
Wasco Reptile True Tan

Have used Snake Tan and it works fine.

We used to stretch and nail them to a board and rub in Borax (20 mule team detergent) and it works good. Made a wallet that got lost during a Willie Nelson concert. Also did a Ball Python. That one became a hat band.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 43
OP
A
Thanks for all the input! I'll definitely add pictures during the process. I saw the tan a snake solution mentioned above, but for $60 I felt like there could be a better solution. I guess we'll find out!

Yarak

WKR
We used to stretch and nail them to a board and rub in Borax (20 mule team detergent) and it works good. Made a wallet that got lost during a Willie Nelson concert. Also did a Ball Python. That one became a hat band.
This is the correct way

wytx

WKR
You can buy enough Snake Tan for one snake and it is less than $20.
We tried all the methods mentioned above and Snake Tan is our choice now after using it.
However, we did not tan our snakes for use a bow backing or anything else, just for a wall hanging.
Looks like Beendare is a good source for info, nice bows.

Beendare

WKR
That's really bad ass. Yes it definitely matters, that's why I'm asking questions! What was your method!? Those look amazing.
They have to be dry tanned.......I'm not 100% clear on the process that is best.

I rinsed the skins really good, used waterproof wood glue to apply the skins then when dry trimmed, scraped off the scales and applied 4 layers of spray gloss poly another couple mist coats of Matt poly. Still going strong 12 years later.

OP
A
You can buy enough Snake Tan for one snake and it is less than $20.
We tried all the methods mentioned above and Snake Tan is our choice now after using it.
However, we did not tan our snakes for use a bow backing or anything else, just for a wall hanging.
Looks like Beendare is a good source for info, nice bows.
Nice to know, I think that the one I saw was Tan a Snake for $60.

Here's a little progress on the skin. This is after being salted for two days (Removed salt after 24 hours and re-salted) and then scraping the rest of the tiny bits of flesh from the skin and washed with dish soap. Beer can is for size reference. After the photo was taken I rubbed the tanning formula into the skin and folded it onto its self. Tomorrow morning i will open it up and air dry it for 3 days while stretching the skin periodically. Hopefully I get a workable product like Beendare has!

Attachments

• 20230816_163928.jpg
    20230816_163928.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 28