DEET damage

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair older bino (Zeiss Jena EDF) that has rubber-like cover. A friend borrowed it and got DEET on it last. I never realized anything was wrong until picking it up today. The rubber seems to rub off. It's sticky and stains my hand. I peeled it off and washed it, which doesn't help at all. Is there anything else I can do?

Scrappy

WKR
Spilled it on my aluminum boat once that had the rubberized camo paint job. Peeled all the coating off all the way down the the shiny aluminum. I'm sure the damage is already done. All you can do is clean it up down to the bare metal to get rid of the sticky stuff. Contact manufacturer to see if they will refinish them for you.

Zak1215

FNG
I was using deet while caribou hunting. Had it on my hands and it took the paint of the grip on my bow. I washed it off well with dish soap, but the damage was already done.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
It’s an old East German unit that I can’t get parts for. The rubber armor is like a sleeve that is removable. I’m hoping someone might know of some type of flexible coating of some sort that be applied to the rubber. Other than that I might have to look at 3D printing.

IL Rifle

FNG
Would the rubberized dip that you put on tool handles work? It comes in spray cans also. I can’t recall the brand name. I’ve seen it at the home box stores.

Damage is done..I have a pair of Maui Jim's and a truck door panel with the same issue. The pure Deet stuff will eat away anything petroleum based.

I just washed the door down..luckily the lenses were able to be replaced.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Plastidip sounds good. Hopefully it has good elasticity & won’t flake off.

manitou1

WKR
Wife and I had been hiking one day and I had Deet based repellant sprayed on my bare legs (wearing shorts). By the time we arrived home there was a permanant imprint of my leg hairs all down the interrior of her driver side door where I had tested my leg while driving. I have ruined a couple of watches with the stuff. This is the reason I only use permetherin and other alternatives. Deet will destroy your $100.00 fly line too... and many, many plastics and composites.

Years ago, bought a used Gamin GPS. When I pulled it out of the box, there was a perfect thumb print melted into the screen. Knew immediately that the guy had deet on his hands when he was using it.

Beendare

WKR
I know they can re armor coat those bins....but if they have a lifetime warranty...they might swap them out for a new model.

No deet for me....I had it eat some coated rain gear years ago...and we are putting that on our skin?

Picaridin for me- it works........... or that IR 3535 [I think it is]

I also spray a set of clothes with permethrin when I'm in thick skeeter country- that works great.

_____

Elkhntr08

WKR
Yep, DEET went 7/7 on bow paint and/or plastic grips on a bear hunt several years ago. Makes a real mess of stuff.

tdot

WKR
DEET is nasty stuff. I've switched to Picaridin and wont ever go back if given the choice.

You could possibly replace the armour with sewn or bonded Neoprene sleeves, you can get different densities of Neoprene.

Since I'm Canadian, I feel a sweet hockey tape job could work too. Or maybe upgrade to a foam tape.

I'd suggest playing with the plasti-dip. I dont like the texture and wouldn't want to be holding it for long periods of time.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
How do you bond neoprene? I have seen the neoprene sheets for sale. I have other optics that sure can use a sleeve.

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what kind of damage you are dealing with, but there is also liquid Electrical Tape. It is pretty tenacious stuff. You would have to paint it on in several layers and take your time, but it might work. The down side is that it does have some type of solvent carrier in it, but I don't know what it is.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
The rubber sleeve looks scruffed up & leaves a black stain (rubber sleeve is black) on my hands, on cloth & paper towel. The staining is decreased after multiple soaking & washing. The surface still looks scruffed up. I can live with the scruffiness as long as the staining goes away. I have been too busy to mess with coatings.

16Bore

WKR
Isn’t deet one of the tricks for polishing headlights?