Did I mess up? Gun Cleaning question

IdahoSwede

Lil-Rokslider
Got a new rifle. Seekins PH2. Been shooting it and decided to give it a cleaning. Pushed a patch through until I realized too late my rod wasn’t long enough for this rifle. As I pulled the rod back the patch came off. I thought to just push it back out from the muzzle end so I could get close enough to get it out through the action. So I just pushed it through from the muzzle end (bronze jag) Then I thought that wasn’t probably a good idea so I started going to Dr Google and found all the threads saying don’t clean from the muzzle you will damage crown. My question is this - can one single pass do any serious damage or is this more an issue if done over time causing wear?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Crown perfection is largely a myth. Don't worry about it.

Sacred VBS makes people feel like they have control while not actually learning how to be in control.

Very informative read.

Wapiti1

WKR
You're fine. You have to actually damage the crown, like smack it with a hammer damage.

When they say don't clean from the muzzle, it's wear over time that you are really trying to avoid. I've seen muzzles with no rifling on one side because the owner cleaned it from the muzzle and his technique always rubbed the rod on that spot. There was no rifling for almost an inch of muzzle. The same applies to cleaning from the breech, but it's less pronounced and usually never matters unless you clean constantly. A bore guide is always a good idea.

Lever guns can't be cleaned from the breech, so you do what you have to.

Jeremy

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
Interesting read. If it makes you feel better, buy yourself a bore guide for cleaning. It'll help line your jag into the barrel without clanging around in the chamber.

OP
I

IdahoSwede

Lil-Rokslider
Crown perfection is largely a myth. Don't worry about it.

Sacred VBS makes people feel like they have control while not actually learning how to be in control.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing

TaperPin

WKR
I really liked the article, but turning a 1/2 moa rifle into a 1 moa or even 1-1/2 moa seemed to me to prove the value of a good crown, not disprove it. There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between 1/2 and 1 moa that many have spent $1k or $2k to get. A magnified close up after the first shot through a saw cut barrel would show most of the burs pushed out of the way and only very very fine burrs are actually interacting with the bullets.

The tapered muzzle sending the groups 14 moa off was amazing.

The world isn’t a perfect place, don’t sweat anything in shooting that isn’t done perfectly.

hiker270

WKR
Even a rifle with a damaged crown can be recrowned and its really not all that expensive. I have had several rifles recrowned to 11 degrees. Your rifle is fine though.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really liked the article, but turning a 1/2 moa rifle into a 1 moa or even 1-1/2 moa seemed to me to prove the value of a good crown, not disprove it. There is a Grand Canyon sized gap between 1/2 and 1 moa that many have spent $1k or $2k to get. A magnified close up after the first shot through a saw cut barrel would show most of the burs pushed out of the way and only very very fine burrs are actually interacting with the bullets.

The tapered muzzle sending the groups 14 moa off was amazing.

The world isn’t a perfect place, don’t sweat anything in shooting that isn’t done perfectly.
Yeah, I'm not going to intentionally damage the crown, and will recrown when I cut barrels myself. However, I was about convinced a bad crown would result in a 30 MOA rifle before reading that article and I enjoy my equipment more not being scared I will mess it up.

Shortening a barrel will also change its hermonics, so group size might have come down with load development (or might not, we don't know).

Remember, you're trying to reduce shot-to-shot variation. If you 'damage' a crown, it's similarly damaged for every shot, so no variation contributed by the crown. Therefore precision is maintained.

Don’t sweat it. You’re using softer metals than what the barrel is made of. You’d have to get real freaky to damage a barrel while cleaning. I’ve done the same thing you have on rifles that still hood under 1/2 moa. Learn the things to be finicky about, and forget the rest.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
While you’re at it , get a Bore Tech bore guide. They work great and really help in keeping bore cleaner out of your action. Their Bore Stix cleaning rods are great too! 👍

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
You're fine. You have to actually damage the crown, like smack it with a hammer damage.

When they say don't clean from the muzzle, it's wear over time that you are really trying to avoid. I've seen muzzles with no rifling on one side because the owner cleaned it from the muzzle and his technique always rubbed the rod on that spot. There was no rifling for almost an inch of muzzle. The same applies to cleaning from the breech, but it's less pronounced and usually never matters unless you clean constantly. A bore guide is always a good idea.

Lever guns can't be cleaned from the breech, so you do what you have to.

Jeremy
Actually Marlins can, and it's easy (remove the lever screw, pull the bolt, pull the ejector pin). That's how I clean my 45-70 and my son's 336. Winchesters, yep, another story.

Wapiti1

WKR
Actually Marlins can, and it's easy (remove the lever screw, pull the bolt, pull the ejector pin). That's how I clean my 45-70 and my son's 336. Winchesters, yep, another story.
I was actually thinking Savage 99 and Winchester when I wrote that. But it's a good point, some can.

Jeremy

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I was actually thinking Savage 99 and Winchester when I wrote that. But it's a good point, some can.

Jeremy
Yep, I figured. Just wanted to clarify in case someone was wondering. My son has his great-grandpa's Win 38-55, built sometime around 1904-7, and we can only come in through the muzzle, which we hate to do. Thing of beauty.

action.JPGmain.JPG
serial.JPG

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Yep, I figured. Just wanted to clarify in case someone was wondering. My son has his great-grandpa's Win 38-55, built sometime around 1904-7, and we can only come in through the muzzle, which we hate to do. Thing of beauty.

View attachment 607663View attachment 607664
View attachment 607665
Possum Hollow and Dewey make muzzle guides that take the worry away.

That said, you can use a .308, 30-06, or .338 case as a muzzle guide in that rifle. Cut the case just past the head so you have something to grip and use the neck as the liner to protect the muzzle. On the .30 cal cases you can put a couple of o-rings on the neck to hold it in the muzzle. The .338 is a tighter fit.

Jeremy