Did your Cell Phone Ruin Your Hunt!

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,
Just looking for some great stories and some possible good Laughs! Post your story if you forgot to Mute or turn off your Cell Phone and it ruined your Shot or Hunt.....ie....Text Came it or a Call.

elkguide

WKR
While muzzleloader hunting this past December, I mistakenly answered a text from a client and proceeded to get into a text fest that went on for about 15 minutes. When I happened to glance up, there about 125 yards away was the dry doe that I had been hoping to shoot, just heading into the woods. I fortunately got my muzzleloader on her and I have just finished eating a tenderloin for supper tonight before sitting down at the computer. However, my son happened to pull the card from the trail camera that was looking out in front of the apple tree that I was supposed to be watching (at only 60 yards) and found that she and three other deer had been under that apple tree for more than 10 minutes all the while I was texting my customer.

Sled

WKR
that's mostly a back east thing. i've had it happen once while whitetail hunting and never again. i rarely have service in the west where i hunt but still keep the phone on vibrate just in case.

Sat in my tree stand for a week straight opening week of Californias A zone archery season, many days well over 90 degrees and up to 15 hours in the tree stand..mornings and nights filled with getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Finally a buck walks by, I watch him come in for close to an hour and as my shot arrives I draw back my bow...all of the sudden..RING RING RING...buck looks up, runs off...no shot, and its was my mom. didn't see him again and didn't end up killing a buck that season. I actually prefer to have service so I don't go crazy and can scroll social media during long sits...but sometimes its good to not have it haha. Its also happened to me stalking hogs and with turkeys, although the turkey just gobbled so that was fine.

mvmnts

WKR
I've had onx fail to load map layers long after I've left cell phone signal range. And a couple years ago, I took someone hunting with me. We were getting onto some elk. He had glassed them up earlier that day so I put him on point first to shoot, and I dropped back a ways to do some calling. I called a bit and waited, called a bit and waited. It was real quiet. I finally lean over and glance out to see what was going on. And he's head down on his ******* phone lol. For me, that was it for our partnership. Some people have a real problem with cell phone addiction.

Jacack

WKR
Two years ago in nm I hiked to the top of one mountain mifday that has cell service to check in on my family. Sitting on a log talking to my wife bow on the ground no arrow knocked and I hear a snap turn and look and a nice 310ish 6x6 is 25 yards headed right to me from. Behind me I dropped the phone got my hand on my bow and he never sees me until he is 5 yards directly behind me.

Spooks and runs 30 yards and stopped to look back but by the time I pull a arrow and draw he is. running

I could hear my wife saying hello, hello the entire time .

I never sit down without a arrow knocked anymore.

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
A couple years ago I was out a day hunt for elk and I got a message on my Delorme from my wife since there is no cell coverage. With that being said I was sneaking my way through dark timber hoping to find a bull in his bed and would of been a fairly easy 1.5-2 mile pack out. Well I got said message on the Delorme from my better half stating "myself and kids are puking, buy Pedialyte on your way home we are not well". So I digest this for a minute and decide to head to the truck being the great husband and dad that I am;). Well I take back off and go probably 50 yards and sure enough a bull stands up in his bed 80 yards away presenting a perfect broadside shot. Luckily I couldn't see his antlers until he moved because I would of pulled the trigger and made my loving wife drive off a cliff. So I paused a minute and then watched as a 7 point decided something wasn't right trotted off through the timber. It still hurts to this day, I always thought it was a test from god almost seeing if I could turn away my desire for my wife. Well I did it once probably not ever again lol, it's kind of a fun story to tell but not really, I ended up with a cow later that year so at least I got to keep elk hunting. :giggle:

Ddog

WKR
Not a ruined hunt, but I have my notification sound set as a bird chirp just in case I forget to put it on vibrate. Had a doe walking into a shooting lane and tweet-tweet my ex texts me. The doe walks out around but never gives me a clear shot or acknowledges the sound.

Rich M

WKR
Left at midnight and drove up to hunting lease on the night of a cold front. figured the deer would move in the am. After trying to nap in the truck decided to head in and found my ladder stand to be a popsicle - the thing was covered in ice. Got up there and pulled gun up. Waited an hour and saw the steel grey of a frozen dawn.

Sent text to lady I work w who hunts an hour away on a diff lease. She and her hubby were also in stand but she had a heater. I look up to see a large bodied deer launch itself from the shooting lane/food plot. I figure my face was all lit up by the phone in the half light.

Couple hours later the normal deer movement happened and I got an 8 pt. Texted my wife and she was almost to the stand - having slept in the truck - coming out to watch the deer. So we tracked the buck and went back to stand so could get cart and there is a 6 pt about 75 yards out in front of stand - did some snort wheeze stuff and he got all bristly but kept on feeding.

Sometimes I wonder how big that buck from the grey of dawn was. Don't text unless it is full daylight now. LOL!

i've been in my duckblind yapping away with somebody,because duck hunting in such a social thing,then here they come ,a line of birds skimming the surface of the cold bay and then i get to share the shoot. finding a dry place to drop the phone, i narrate the unfolding scene, alright ,here they come ,south to north, call a couple times if they look to fly by but then they wheel on wind and here they are setting their wings, gear down, flaps down. totally committed now,then when science quits the birds and they have no recourse.i'll ease up and boom.fetch 'em up'fetch 'em up girl and my friends hear the spalash and then good girl,good girl as she shakes off. so thats the good fun.
has the phone rang while the birds are setting,uh, yeah (only answer if it is my mom!)but it's all in good fun.
bow hunting,thing is never on unless i am cull shooting,that is just a bang/flop scene.

Mt Al

WKR
I had a cell phone help me one time. Was hunting with my daughter and we sat above a pretty deep draw with mule deer does milling about. The draw is chocked with sage brush. I wisely, with great wisdom and experience gained from many seasons in the field, told my daughter to look for antlers in the sagebrush, because there may be a buck laying in there. We looked and looked, me all the while pontificating about glassing "pick a small area, go over every branch, look closely until you've exhausted very square inch...." So we glassed and glassed, figured we'd covered the whole area and we were getting ready to get up and move on when my cell phone rang. As soon as it rang a really nice buck stood up in the sage brush we'd glassed over several times. Bang, flop, laughing about how a call from my brother made it all happen.

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
I have never had the habit of carrying it anyways. Never happend to me as i am a very traditional hunter and don't carry a lot of gizmos to the woods.

MThuntr

WKR
Almost daily, I hunt a couple spots for whitetails after work. I sit in a small blind made from a few sticks and a juniper tree. Recently a new cell tower has given reception so naturally I get sucked into social media, forums, etc. I look up to see a whitetail doe about 15 yards out staring me down. She sees me and I can't move. She does the foot stamp and head rock thing we're all familiar with but she calms down and moves out of sight for a few seconds allowing me to think I can grab my bow. I draw but she was already watching for me to move. Wheeze, flag tail and off she goes. Luckily 20 minutes later a different deer swings by and I get a heart punch at 10 feet.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My phone is NEVER on when I'm hunting, and it's always set to vibrate so when I turn it on it doesn't make any noise other than the vibration.