Didn’t draw

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what’s up everyone. It’s been a long year on the military side and I was looking forward to hopefully drawing in New Mexico but that didn’t happen. I was doing some research and I know I can go to a few states for over the counter tags. My only problem is I am from South Florida LOL and I’ve never done a do it yourself Hunt. Wanted to see if you guys can point me in the right direction for possibly Oregon or Idaho. An outfitter is fine or I know it might sound crazy, paying one of you to help me out. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.Grift

FNG
My first DIY elk hunt was in Idaho last year--however, I believe the draw changed in Idaho and OTC units (which have a maximum number of licenses available in Idaho) went on sale early. Last I checked, there were only a few tags left in really tough units. I would love to hear from someone that knows more about how this all works if that's incorrect.

I believe you can still get OTC tags for Colorado and Oregon.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
My first DIY elk hunt was in Idaho last year--however, I believe the draw changed in Idaho and OTC units (which have a maximum number of licenses available in Idaho) went on sale early. Last I checked, there were only a few tags left in really tough units. I would love to hear from someone that knows more about how this all works if that's incorrect.

I believe you can still get OTC tags for Colorado and Oregon.

Copy that
Let’s see if others chime in

Gerbdog

WKR
I guess i havent looked up the rules because ive never considered it but i think paying someone to take you hunting when they dont have a guiding license is illegal, the state approves folks to be guides and accepting payment of any kind to take someone hunting when you dont have a guide license is no bueno. Again, i never looked up the rules, but you may be able to just find a hunting partner on here and share a few beers at camp in the evenings while pondering over the days successes or failures.

Spose i'll add if your gonna cut the learning curve then paying a guide is a good plan, can learn a lot and if the money is well spent then the money is well spent. You can totally hunt OTC solo and yea, its intimidating at first but sure will learn a boat load doing it and may even connect with elk with a little luck

A.Grift

FNG
Yeah I just checked, there are 32 nonres Snake River A tags remaining in Idaho and nothing else.

1619023688247.png

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
I guess i havent looked up the rules because ive never considered it but i think paying someone to take you hunting when they dont have a guiding license is illegal, the state approves folks to be guides and accepting payment of any kind to take someone hunting when you dont have a guide license is no bueno. Again, i never looked up the rules, but you may be able to just find a hunting partner on here and share a few beers at camp in the evenings while pondering over the days successes or failures.

Spose i'll add if your gonna cut the learning curve then paying a guide is a good plan, can learn a lot and if the money is well spent then the money is well spent. You can totally hunt OTC solo and yea, its intimidating at first but sure will learn a boat load doing it and may even connect with elk with a little luck

I totally get what your saying. you pretty much summed up what I meant. but I wouldn't feel right not gifting something. it would be as a token of my appreciation.

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks for your service. Too late for Idaho, tags go on sale December first of the previous year. You could score a return tag but it's unlikely. Colorado is doable, possibly others. There is always '22 which would give you more time to plan. Good luck!

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR
Thanks for your service. Too late for Idaho, tags go on sale December first of the previous year. You could score a return tag but it's unlikely. Colorado is doable, possibly others. There is always '22 which would give you more time to plan. Good luck!

I was thinking that. 2022 might be a good option. I was thinking Colorado as well.

Gerbdog

WKR
I was thinking that. 2022 might be a good option. I was thinking Colorado as well.
If Colorado is something you'd do, i'd buy an OTC tag and just come on out, carry your killing tool of choice and have a hiking / camping trip in the public lands in an OTC unit. Your gonna have fun, gonna learn a lot, and maybe get an elk, its hard to lose doing that as long as your enjoying yourself

If Colorado is something you'd do, i'd buy an OTC tag and just come on out, carry your killing tool of choice and have a hiking / camping trip in the public lands in an OTC unit. Your gonna have fun, gonna learn a lot, and maybe get an elk, its hard to lose doing that as long as your enjoying yourself
x2

Don't wait a year.

OP
ofl0926

ofl0926

WKR

copy that.

fatlander

WKR
You could always buy a NM landowner tag. You’ll have better chances than CO OTC. For the most part, the better outfitters are all booked up for this year (and some are probably already booked for next year). If you’ve got outfitter money burning a hole in your pocket, I’d buy a landowner tag.

GoBig

FNG
Oregon OTC opportunities are thin, you can go OTC archery, General spike only bull in a few units or General Cascade or Coast Elk. If you into archery it would be your best bet but I wouldn't travel across the country to Oregon for any of the other options. Oregon Draw Deadline is May 15th but without any preference points you face pretty long odds in most units. Oregon is not a friendly state to non residents, expensive and low draw odds for the quality. My recommendation would be Colorado, Idaho tags are almost all sold out and whats left is probably left for a good reason.