disappointing hunt in G

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Nice write up slim & your last sentence couldn’t be any more true.

A lot of people who have never been there are under the impression that G & H tags are a guarantee to 180” deer behind every tree & you have to weed through them to get to the 200’s. That is a delusional idea at the very least.

The reality is, you get to spend as much time that you can mentally & physically endure in some of the most spectacular country on the face of the earth trying to get an opportunity to possibly see, let alone kill, a super buck that this deer herd is capable of producing. That’s it, nothing more nothing less. We met setback after setback on our hunt & my buddy felt bad for me due to waiting so long to draw the tag. I simply said, “this story has already been written by a higher being, we just have to enjoy the experience living it regardless the outcome.” That simple or you will find misery in something so great.

Good luck to those looking to draw in the future & remember it’s a mental & physical drain but enjoy every second of it because you’re blessed to be hunting the worlds most special deer herd in one of the most spectacular places on the planet!

Rich M

WKR
Reading through this thread has confirmed a few things for me. The first is that as time passes I think I’m less interested in hunting areas with strong histories of big deer. The second is that opportunities are really drying up much faster than I thought even though I expected it to get much harder as time passes. I realize that a few good winters and things will be better again but the amount of pressure on big deer has sky rocketed in the last decade.

Reality is tough. The pressure is real heavy and everyone feels that they have a good chance at a big buck. Most folks walk out without filling their tag - what is the success rate? 20-30%? A bunch of those deer that got/get shot are little ones too, after 5 days of climbing a 140-inch 4x4 looks mighty good to a NR on the one trip of a lifetime...nice deer, success, etc.

Folks just need to be realistic in their expectations.

The OP has a post in the antelope section - greatly summarized - they drove a unit for a day and couldn't find any monster bucks, shot a smaller one, disappointed in the unit. Not sure if it was also this year. What I took out of both of those posts is that a lot of the fabled trophy areas aren't quite.

This has been a great post. Lot good info and experience shared. I find it funny, guys are complaining bout not finding a trophy buck in a place they've never been. Or that success rates are only 20-40% lol. I'm from Ca and hunt blacktail in the wilderness. It took me like 5 years just to find a spot that holds bucks consistently, let alone trophy quality. Success rates are 10% or less. Yet now we see a potential B&C buck or two every year. I've never hunted out of state and really don't expect things will be much different. Of course anybody could get lucky and stumble into a great buck on their first trip but I'm for sure not counting on it. Gotta learn the country and the animals.
All that being said I'll be putting in for region H the next few years. Just packing into that country for a week will be worth the trip.

Man @slim23

All this is to say, I don't think folks should beat themselves up about a rough hunt in Western Wyo. If you are one of the multiple-point holders looking to cash in on Region *whatever* just know it'll be a tough row to hoe BUT you've got a chance at a true giant. For a chance at a better experience that doesn't take as much effort, I'd be looking at a hunt that's a limited quota for residents as well.

I couldn't agree more our resident limited quota tags can be as easy or as hard as you want them to be. Atleast that's how the ones I've been on are. Sure there isn't the alure of having a region G tag but atleast it won't be mortal combat fighting over 140 bucks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I’m not sure what to do. I have 8 points. Was planning on applying next year. At 55 I’d like to do it before I get older and fatter because I know what it’ll be like truly do it the right way. I’m as good at living in the mountains as anyone so not worried about life above timberline. I have spots A, B, and C picked out. I think 3 is enough to hunt it for two weeks or so. But if the bucks just aren’t there I’ll wait until we’ve had a few years for young bucks to mature. Either that or more bad winters right... that’s the gamble. I’ve hunted the area for elk enough to know that the numbers of deer aren’t what a lot of guys picture. But then again I’ve never perched way up on top and glassed for days either. Hmm what do do.....

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
There will always be some big bucks there, it’s just that overall numbers are down. The only guarantee in your situation is that you will be another year older for every year you wait. The birthday calendar is undefeated in our short cycle of life. Get prepared & go hunt while you know you can. Expectations is the only thing that can make it a bad experience.👍🏻😎

I scouted G this year for a potential future hunt. 2 things stood out compared to other high country I have scouted/hunted in other areas/states.
I have never seen so many bucks in the high country. And I have never seen such a high percentage of dink bucks.

I am starting to look at other options after that trip.

Wapiti23

FNG
I’ve got enough points to draw next year and plan to do so. Region G is what it is and not what it historically was at the moment and may never get back to that point. I’m going for the experience and possibly harvesting a representative +170” type deer buck.
I went scouting last year to get the lay of the land and will do again this year to focus on certain areas and see what I can see. Hunt for 7-10 days and hope for the best. I will not be coming out with a 150 type deer. Would rather be humbled and learn than kill an up in comer.
I want the experience and to say that I’ve hunted some of the most beautiful landscapes in all of the world. These will be memory’s that I will cherish and can’t wait. Wish me luck!!!

Last edited:
Region G/H have been going downhill since 1992/93 bad winter. I have lived in Western Wyoming for 50+years and hunted here for 40+ years. There are many reasons for the decline but the top of the list is 1) Too much resident hunting pressure as it is a General area, 2) The explosion of elk in all those high mountain basins which 25 years ago was rare to see an elk, now every basin is loaded with elk in September. The elk eat the same forage even though we were taught they did not, research now shows elk directly compete for Summer forage and displace the deer. The Wyoming Range here once had 50,000+ deer. The objective was lowered to 40,000. The herd is now at 29,000 and decreasing. Other major impacts are severe winter kill of fawns in 2 of the last 5 winters and severe drought statewide. Now we have CWD moving into the area. Unless Wyoming acts quickly this amazing resource and treasure trove trophy buck area will be lost. If you want to backpack in 4-5 miles and see loads of hunter orange and elk during your deer hunt choose region G/H, otherwise look elsewhere unless something drastic happens the objective will soon be lowered to 20,000 deer and the big bucks are no longer showing themselves as they don’t exist anymore on the Winter ranges. Sad.

OP- Sorry for the tough hunt.

20 years ago people didn't shoot 700 yards at deer with long range guns, CDS scopes, and angle compensating rangefinders.....

Weather patterns and more importantly in my opinion is that Long range hunting are taking a serious toll on the older age class bucks all across the west. If you dont see that then your head is buried in the sand.

I mean honestly what the heck did guys expect? About every YouTube video is bragging about someone shooting a mule deer at 600 yards or more. Then giving each other high fives like they actually did something cool.....lol Its sad what hunting the west has become for some people. Today its more like a target range than a hunting ground.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Region G/H have been going downhill since 1992/93 bad winter. I have lived in Western Wyoming for 50+years and hunted here for 40+ years. There are many reasons for the decline but the top of the list is 1) Too much resident hunting pressure as it is a General area, 2) The explosion of elk in all those high mountain basins which 25 years ago was rare to see an elk, now every basin is loaded with elk in September. The elk eat the same forage even though we were taught they did not, research now shows elk directly compete for Summer forage and displace the deer. The Wyoming Range here once had 50,000+ deer. The objective was lowered to 40,000. The herd is now at 29,000 and decreasing. Other major impacts are severe winter kill of fawns in 2 of the last 5 winters and severe drought statewide. Now we have CWD moving into the area. Unless Wyoming acts quickly this amazing resource and treasure trove trophy buck area will be lost. If you want to backpack in 4-5 miles and see loads of hunter orange and elk during your deer hunt choose region G/H, otherwise look elsewhere unless something drastic happens the objective will soon be lowered to 20,000 deer and the big bucks are no longer showing themselves as they don’t exist anymore on the Winter ranges. Sad.

lotsa truth in that statement. pretty sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OP- Sorry for the tough hunt.

20 years ago people didn't shoot 700 yards at deer with long range guns, CDS scopes, and angle compensating rangefinders.....

Weather patterns and more importantly in my opinion is that Long range hunting are taking a serious toll on the older age class bucks all across the west. If you dont see that then your head is buried in the sand.

I mean honestly what the heck did guys expect? About every YouTube video is bragging about someone shooting a mule deer at 600 yards or more. Then giving each other high fives like they actually did something cool.....lol Its sad what hunting the west has become for some people. Today its more like a target range than a hunting ground.

I wish someone could prove or disapprove what you’re saying. Yes if long range Hunting truly is doing that, then it’s up to our game and fish departments to take action. I just only see opinions on this, not hard facts. I know what my gut tells me, but again I’d love to see some studies on this.

Not trying to start a fight with you partner.

Last edited:
I wish someone could prove or disapprove what you’re saying. Yes if long range Hunting truly is doing that, then it’s up to our game and fish departments to take action. I just only see opinions on this, not hard facts. I know what my gut tells me, but again I’d love to see some studies on this.

Not trying to start a fight with you partner.

It is easy to prove if you merely look at the historical archery harvest. Historically archery equipment with simple recurve bows when I started hunting 40 years ago was 10-12% on a good year. I now regularly see archery only tags in Wyoming with a whopping 43% success rates. It seems the Wildlife Commission never seems to look at those numbers but when it comes to elk, I’m glad they are harvesting them as drought continues and bad winters the Elk populations are still booming yet mule deer are declining in almost every western state. Elk are eating the deer out of house and home and displacing them. Now many areas in big buck high alpine basins which once held numerous trophy bucks now only have lots of elk and lots of deer hunters. The success on deer hasn’t declined substantially yet deer populations have decreased downward and now all the Wildlife managers feebly attempt to do is adjust the herd objectives downwards. Soon there will be no deer remaining to adjust any lower, especially as CWD continues increasing and Hunter technology and advancements in Atvs, side by sides, rifles, scopes, ammunition, binoculars, trail cameras, aerial scouting.

Its my gut feeling. I dont have any facts to prove it but I do know 100% that 20 years ago I couldn't put my gun across my pack ,range a pie plate at 535 yards, and hit it every single shot.

I had to estimate (Which I am pretty good at) and at best would be accurate and on target 50% of the time.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Its my gut feeling. I dont have any facts to prove it but I do know 100% that 20 years ago I couldn't put my gun across my pack ,range a pie plate at 535 yards, and hit it every single shot.

I had to estimate (Which I am pretty good at) and at best would be accurate and on target 50% of the time.
same here.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It is easy to prove if you merely look at the historical archery harvest. Historically archery equipment with simple recurve bows when I started hunting 40 years ago was 10-12% on a good year. I now regularly see archery only tags in Wyoming with a whopping 43% success rates. It seems the Wildlife Commission never seems to look at those numbers but when it comes to elk, I’m glad they are harvesting them as drought continues and bad winters the Elk populations are still booming yet mule deer are declining in almost every western state. Elk are eating the deer out of house and home and displacing them. Now many areas in big buck high alpine basins which once held numerous trophy bucks now only have lots of elk and lots of deer hunters. The success on deer hasn’t declined substantially yet deer populations have decreased downward and now all the Wildlife managers feebly attempt to do is adjust the herd objectives downwards. Soon there will be no deer remaining to adjust any lower, especially as CWD continues increasing and Hunter technology and advancements in Atvs, side by sides, rifles, scopes, ammunition, binoculars, trail cameras, aerial scouting.
good points on archery. would still like to see the same data on deer since LR rifles came to town.

good points on archery. would still like to see the same data on deer since LR rifles came to town.
It has been initially studied but this working group in Wyoming Game and Fish recognized the problem but as always in Wyoming hunting, politics gets involved so the Conclusion is further study required. Here were just a few of the aspects they identified as affecting harvest and the ethical and moral implications of such advanced technology. It is a worthy study of review but certainly just in its infancy.
aspects of modern detection include the following:
● Significantly reduces an animal’s innate ability to avoid detection.
● May significantly enhance a hunter’s ability to avoid being detected themselves by their quarry.
● Remote monitoring that allows 24-hour, seven and day a week coverage in the field, including detection in the dark. Maybe include use of single or multiple trail cameras. Cameras may or may not be synced in real time to personal electronic devices.
● Real time, remote detection and notification, wherein a hunter is notified of an animal’s presence someplace other than within range of the hunter’s vision or hearing.
● Use of drones or other aircraft to detect game.
● Use of electronics in relation to finding a place to hunt and aiding in navigation (GPS, cell phone maps, Google Earth, etc.).
● Electronic or radio communication between hunters in the field is common and may be used to coordinate actual stalking.
● Contract scouting services solicited to find and keep track of a specific game animal over an extended period of time – outside of the services normally provided by a
guide or outfitter.
● Use of advanced off-road vehicles is common, and hunters may travel off established roads where the older generations of hunters were prohibited from doing so due to the types of vehicles in use.
● Use of ultra-light aircraft or helicopters to access landlocked public lands.
● Use of analog and digital electronic calls.