DIY Alaska Flyfishing Trip in August

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Covid issues aside. We are planning a DIY flyfishing trip to Alaska the 2nd week of August. I've bought Scott Haugen's book and also the Highway Angler by Gunnar Pedersen. Both of these books have been beyond helpful.

First few days of the trip will be near Cooper's Landing. Second leg will be near Talkeetna and the final few days will be in Fairbanks. We're not camping but have cabins rented in each area.

The rivers/streams I'm looking at are Russian river, Quartz Creek on the first leg. On the second leg, Both Willow's, Montana and Little Su. The last leg will likely be the Chena river and grayling chasing. I'll have 5,7,8 and 9 weights along. I tie flies, so if you know a must have pattern I'm all in. I don't plan on any guided trips at this point. We will be prepared for the weather and bears.

Reading this forum I have learned that whatever it is, someone here has done it before. I would love to learn from your success. Secret spots, great food/beer and any thoughts will be appreciated.

The Silvers should be in by the time you get there. They are my favorite salmon to catch, often getting acrobatic and tail dancing. There are bears there. You will likely see black and brown bears, so be smart and remember no fish or stringer is worth tangling with one.

Silvers usually hit bright, shiny tinsel flies with some pink or orange up front for me. Rainbows and Dollies in the Russian can be really big, and egg patterns tend to work pretty well. Read up on the regulations regarding each specific location, as there are some catch and release only spots, size restrictions, etc.

There will be mosquitoes. I've found hanging a cheap gas station cigar out of my mouth helps to keep them at bay.

Stop at the Summit Lake Lodge for a Garbage Grinder and a slice of pie.

OP
Tom_

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
The Silvers should be in by the time you get there. They are my favorite salmon to catch, often getting acrobatic and tail dancing. There are bears there. You will likely see black and brown bears, so be smart and remember no fish or stringer is worth tangling with one.

Silvers usually hit bright, shiny tinsel flies with some pink or orange up front for me. Rainbows and Dollies in the Russian can be really big, and egg patterns tend to work pretty well. Read up on the regulations regarding each specific location, as there are some catch and release only spots, size restrictions, etc.

There will be mosquitoes. I've found hanging a cheap gas station cigar out of my mouth helps to keep them at bay.

Stop at the Summit Lake Lodge for a Garbage Grinder and a slice of pie.

We will definitely be bear aware and will have pepper spray (so that we are well seasoned LOL). I'm going to pack a thermacell but I like the cheap cigar idea. Thanks for the tips !

VernAK

WKR
The Delta Clearwater here in Delta Jct is a great grayling stream and nice wading. The Kenai Peninsula has a lot more diverse fishing to offer than the interior.

Grayling are not picky and the old standby has been a black gnat.

Kingfisher roadhouse in cooper is a must! Gwin’s lodge in cooper is not bad. Soldotna has several good spots for drinks/food, as does girdwood. Stop in Healy on your way to Fairbanks and eat at 49th state brewing and/or salmon bake.

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I will be fishing the Dalton Highway and the Chena River in Mid-July. I will get home on July 24th. I will share whatever I learn. You gotta remember to contact me. I will forget. LOL!

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yeah!
I will second the Delta Clearwater as well. I did that two years ago as well as the Chena.

AKBorn

WKR
Lots of mosquitos in August...bring plenty of fuel for your Thermacell.

Be careful of the frost heaves along some parts of the highway if you're not familiar with them...

I say turn your trip upside down. Do FB first, then make your way down the Parks and down to the peninsula. The better trout fishing will be closer to September on the Parks and peninsula, the grayling fishing up north will be better earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwf008

Lil-Rokslider
I fished Quartz mid August last year. All you really need are beads and egg patterns to have fun there. I didn’t find the dollys and trout to be keyed in on flesh flies yet. There were some dead salmon for sure but I think that ‘hatch’ comes a little later in the year. I had more luck with egg patterns than beads. I forgot the name but it’s just a bead head glo egg with some flash tied in as a little tail. I would’ve fished willow too but the fires last summer closed the highway so there was no access. Be sure and stop in at Mossy’s in Anchorage if you need any gear. It’s a great little shop and they’re good about sharing a some helpful local knowledge.

OP
Tom_

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I say turn your trip upside down. Do FB first, then make your way down the Parks and down to the peninsula. The better trout fishing will be closer to September on the Parks and peninsula, the grayling fishing up north will be better earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I learn, I know you are spot on. There is some flexibility to our travel and I'm going to look at it.

OP
Tom_

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I fished Quartz mid August last year. All you really need are beads and egg patterns to have fun there. I didn’t find the dollys and trout to be keyed in on flesh flies yet. There were some dead salmon for sure but I think that ‘hatch’ comes a little later in the year. I had more luck with egg patterns than beads. I forgot the name but it’s just a bead head glo egg with some flash tied in as a little tail. I would’ve fished willow too but the fires last summer closed the highway so there was no access. Be sure and stop in at Mossy’s in Anchorage if you need any gear. It’s a great little shop and they’re good about sharing a some helpful local knowledge.

Thanks for that detailed info. I've got a ton of egg patterns and probably will tie a few more. I'll have beads and buy them local. I've read good things about Mossy's and will stop the first thing out of the airport.

I get to fish with Scott every summer, he knows what he’s doing, his book will help immensely.
From a guides perspective I’d rather guide Silvers then any of the rest of the Salmon. I run 8wts for silvers, but you’re not overgunned with a 9. I see the rainbow over silver thing as a maturation process. I’ve clients that I’ve guided for twenty years. They started on Kings, drifted into August for silvers, drifted a little more fishing for rainbows, char and Grayling with an occasional silver. Certainly swinging a big Dolly Lama or steak and eggs for big bows is how I spend my little free time in August/September.
AK.T knows his way around Alaska fishing, I don’t think that’s a bad plan, great opportunity to break the 30 inch mark. If you really want a great chance at a big bow consider splurging for a guided day in a drift boat.
( I’m not hustling you I’m out on the Peninsula )
Regardless, have a great trip I’ve done the same thing as a young man, great times.

Do it! You will have a blast! I've DIYed most of those rivers.

For rainbows/dollies/grayling you'll want a 5/6 and I'd recommend a bunch of egg beads. I think it will be early for flesh flies.
Silvers should be in some of the rivers mid-August. I used an 8wt. Bright/flashy purple/pink flies work great. I like to tie mine with really heavy eyes to get it down and jig/swing retrieve.

Oh yeah, you'll definitely see bears. They are pretty content fishing and we never had a problem although one camp into camp at night which wasn't a ton of fun.

So I’m in an unusually generous mood so here comes a tip. Go to the Slide in Fly Shop, order The Sex Dungeon fly, black, olive, yellow green and root beer or tan. Fish that on the seams, around boulders, that kind of thing for bows and char. Send pics.

OP
Tom_

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m in an unusually generous mood so here comes a tip. Go to the Slide in Fly Shop, order The Sex Dungeon fly, black, olive, yellow green and root beer or tan. Fish that on the seams, around boulders, that kind of thing for bows and char. Send pics.

I still have a bunch of those from when KG had White Fly in West Virginia. I can tie them but mine don't look as pretty as his. I appreciate the generosity, I didn't have them on my list.

OP
Tom_

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a number of people try to duplicate it, none of those have worked as well as the original.
tell me you have mice!

Yes and a pile of deer hair on the floor to prove it. I'm hoping to get some topwater shots. Bows, Silvers or I'll settle for some Pinks. I've caught tons of Great Lakes Salmon and Steelhead but having some mice or Wogs eaten would make the trip.