DIY Budget Pre-Fit Custom

I thought about making this post, and decided to go for it since I figure there's someone else out there wondering if they could do a DIY Pre-Fit Custom. If I can do it, you can.

Last summer, a family friend got me into long(er) range shooting. Helped me work up a load for my rifle (.3” @ 100), and got me shooting 8” groups at 1000 yards. And while I loved my Browning Hells Canyon Speed I wanted a different stock, better trigger, longer coal, twist for 180gr Bergers - and being 22 around my dads RBros, that family friend’s myriad of customs - I was enthralled by the idea of a shiny new rifle, emboldened by the tips of a college bar job

So I started looking into customs. My wallet clenched. Next I looked at Tikka’s thanks to the semi-custom thread - but with my dad shooting a 7mm mag, and the man reloading for me primarily shooting a 7mm Mag (which his components he offered to share) I was pretty set on that caliber - and I chose not a Tikka due to the potential COAL limitations wanting to shoot 180’s and maybe 195’s. Then I found out about pre-fits and so began my deep, deep dive into some research. Now, I'm not an idiot. But back in HS if my buddies were getting together to work on a truck, I was in charge of laps to the fridge. My mechanical skills aren't pretty, but I can follow instructions. So in my research I found out my various options - cost versus weight, what would work with what components — and while I didn’t want a heavy rifle - financially right now, the additional $600 to cut 1# off the stock, I could’ve found another piece of my gear to cut that for less. And then one night comparing costs, and checking availability I found one of the actions was available on a pre-order with a release in 2 days. And then the matching barrel was on sale on another site. And so I decided to send it.

Defiance Tenacity Stainless Long Action Magnum $960.00
FFL Transfer on the Action. $ 25.00
Proof Carbon Prefit 7mm Rem Mag 24” 1-8.4. $989.09
Trigger Tech Special for Remington 700 $ w/above
AI .300 3RD SSF CIP Length Magazine $94.81
KRG Bravo Rem 700 Long Action $447.23
-------------------------------------------------------------------
$2,516.04 Gun Parts (with shipping and Tax)
Viper Barrel Vice $155.85
PSG Remington 700 Action Wrench w/above
Automotive Torque Wrench $ 42.50
Hand Torque Wrench $ Free (Thanks Dad)
Headspace Gages $35.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------
$2,749.39 After Tools (with shipping and Tax)

Within two weeks, everything but the rented gauges came since I didn’t want them to arrive before I could start my build and have to pay more. Keep in mind, I’m in a college style house without a garage. Attached to my bedroom is weird basement/mechanical room without a light, that had an old wooden table attached to the wall (that I lit with an extension cord and a lamp). Using (my roommates) drill bit that’s three times smaller than the vice bolts, I punched holes in the wood until they fit. Attached the vice to the table. Wrapped the steel part of the proof barrel in notebook paper, tightening down the bolts on the side opposite the carbon most. Hand tightened the action to the barrel. Set the automotive torque wrench to (I believe defiance specs are 75 ft-lbs), and torqued. Retightened barrel vice since it slipped. And torqued until the wrench popped. It took me 3x longer to drill out the vice holes than attach the barrel. I then took the barreled action to the desk in my bedroom, and used a Pilot G2 pen to tap the 2 pins to get my trigger into the action. Setting the stock on my office chair, and resting the barrel on the my desk, I used the hand torque wrench to tighten the stock into the action. This was a bit of a pain, as my bit had too fat of a base too fit, so I ended up boring the hole out a bit to fit the hex bit. But 87 minutes after I grabbed my roommate drill, I had a built rifle. Ran both factory and my hand-loaded 7mag rounds through the mag to make sure they fed. Did the slam and lighten method on my trigger to make sure it was safe. Everything felt solid. The only thing I did was then have to wait 2 more days for the headspace gauges to arrive since I was impatient on building it. Put In the go gauge. Closed the bolt. Put in the no go gauge. Prayed, It wouldn’t close. It didn’t. Final weight on the rifle is somewhere between 8.5-9 pounds (My bathroom scale with me on it, then rifle, alternates between the two).

Basically, this post, is to tell you - yes you can build a custom gun. It is as easy as people make it seem. That being said, it’s getting it’s first range trip this coming week in which I’ll share my accuracy results if I don’t blow off my typing hand. Even before firing though - I would’ve changed a few things - I would’ve spent the extra few hundred to go with a lighter action considering how long I’m going to keep it (however component availability factored into it heavily). I also would’ve gone with a lighter stock, but it is a budget build and I could always buy a new one - but I’ll always be stuck with the heavier action. Also, would’ve gone BDL, the AICS mag rattles just enough I know it’ll bother me a hair.

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2501 copy.jpg
    IMG_2501 copy.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2601.jpeg
    IMG_2601.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 233

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
This was a good read. Thanks for sharing.
I lived in a place that had a room like that. I left a jar of teeth hidden in it when I left. Lol

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. I am currently piecing together a prefit build. In my experience its nice to have a few tools, these are the ones that stay out on my bench and even go in my truck when traveling out of town. literally use the driver set everyday.

Loper

WKR
Great job! I I’ve never considered doing a DIY custom rifle buIld with a prefit, but now I may explore this.

I also appreciate the part about what you would do differently if doing it over again. Good to know.

OP
KelsoBrowny
This was a good read. Thanks for sharing.
I lived in a place that had a room like that. I left a jar of teeth hidden in it when I left. Lol
In the corner of that room, is a separate room. Entirely insulated and almost soundproof, Carpeted, light bulb, and has 3 latches locking it from the outside - I now know what I need to buy before I leave. Thank you for that

OP
KelsoBrowny
Great job! I I’ve never considered doing a DIY custom rifle buIld with a prefit, but now I may explore this.

I also appreciate the part about what you would do differently if doing it over again. Good to know.
Component availability right now makes it pretty hard, but weight vs. cost is a finicky battle. The Defiance Anti can be had for ~100 more, but 10 oz lighter. But it also is out of stock everywhere for a long period of time. Most of the other actions that are 10oz lighter, are 5-700$ more expensive.

I fought between the KRG Bravo vs the AG Alpine, but after discounts, out the door cost was ~500 cheaper but it added on about 18 ounces and 6-8 less weeks of lead-time, and I wasn't worried about bedding. You also have to make sure that your action is compatible with your decision of BDL/DBM.

Other than wishing I would've at least sprung for a lighter action. The above listed wheeler torque wrench, an amazon automotive torque wrench, an action wrench, and barrel vice were all the tools I wished I had. I wouldn't have gone back and changed any part of my process. Again though, this is all said before the sight in.

OP
KelsoBrowny
Good on ya for just doing it.

What glass is going on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 that I bought used on a steeeeep discount used thanks to the fact it has a .308 BDC reticle.

I can also say confidently It's already on top. I got excited and pulled it off my only sighted in rifle to get it squared away. To which I didn't have a rifle for my shed hunting trip the following weekend. Where I got to watch two wolves at 200 yards for a few minutes.

SAM55

FNG
Great DIY build report. I've been thinking about attempting a DIY build for quite a while. I see you struggled with a few of the same decisions I've been thinking about. Your well written post has given me the confidence to forge ahead. I'll take your advice and sacrifice some additional $ to go with a lighter overall weight. Really looking forward to a range report!! Take care.

OP
KelsoBrowny
24C98ED8-8297-45F5-8530-FDA36541C2AC.jpegIn the past 3 months I graduated college, got a big boy job, moved states, no more girlfriend who’s dad did my reloading, bought a whole reloading setup, taught myself to reload, and finally, finally broke this guy in.
3 shot groups at 100 yards
69.8 (barely right) 70.4 (far right) Gr Retumbo
180 Berger Hybrid Target 2.782 Ojive
215 Primer
Unfired ADG brass.

Attachments

• AEEE5771-5B1C-4E4E-8402-464372C1032E.jpeg
    AEEE5771-5B1C-4E4E-8402-464372C1032E.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
Great read. I am doing a diy build (waiting for my Origin action) and found it very helpful. Mine is more of s budget hunting build with a preferred barrel blanks 280AI 24" barrel, a triggertech trigger, and a Grayboe stock.

Btw - If anyone ever needs an automotive torque wrench for one task, most auto parts stores will let you borrow one for free.

Otherwise, my tool set is a dead match for yours - same vice.

Sevens

WKR
Good news about the vice and wrench, you will use it again. Be it for swapping calibers or for building more prefits.

I loved the idea of a prefit, bought all the tools, and built myself a very nice 7mm Rem Mag on a Defiance Anti. It’s a perfect pack rifle at 8 pounds scoped and has a nice balance for me. For all of a few months I thought to myself, “these prefits are great and now I will never need to buy another action since I can swap my barrels if I get bored.” Such bliss it was, but I thought something short barreled for hogs here in Texas would be nice, so a 308 was born; and maybe something geared for NRL/PRS, and a 6.5 CM magically appeared in the safe; and I’ve always felt an all-weather 375 H&H would be fun, so now another action is arriving at my FFL on Friday.

Yeah, you’ll get use out of the vice and wrench again for sure.

SDHNTR

WKR
Good read. I’m doing similar. I wouldn’t want to be a custom gun builder in 5 years when this becomes the norm.