DIY Cargo Net inside ARE Truck Top

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some ideas on how to install a cargo net on the ceiling of my ARE Truck top. Here's what I'm thinking about doing, but I'm open to suggestions. Pics would be helpful if you have them.

I have the factory roof rack installed on the truck top that is secured with seven M6 x 25 mm bolts on each side. My thought was to get four M6 x 35- 40 mm bolts and place a 3/8" insulation clamp on each bolt with a M6 nut to hold the cargo net in place. Possibly clipping carabiners to each clamp or to just 2 of the corners.

Looking to put rain gear, hats, small camp stool, tree saddle, hammock, etc in the area. Probably won't exceed 50 lbs in total, if even 30 lbs.

Is this a good idea, bad idea, or do you have a better idea?
Moderators, if this thread needs to be moved elsewhere, please do so.

Thanks for any info/feedback

Also thinking about doing something like this. If you put something together I’d be interested to see your set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
J-bolts might be worth considering on the inside for the net and anything else.

51lQvjX6zKL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in this too. If you do it, post some pictures! What are you going to use it for?

Hamr25

FNG
Here is what I did. 10 or 15 ft of 1/4” bungee cord, some small sheet metal screws and 1/4” wire clamps (Q clamps). I think I was out 30 bucks. I used it to hold everything from my bow/rifle to bags to folding camp tables. Truck cap is a Leer 100xr.

14c256793ee20c120a9cbb6222aa2d52.jpg

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what I did. 10 or 15 ft of 1/4” bungee cord, some small sheet metal screws and 1/4” wire clamps (Q clamps). I think I was out 30 bucks. I used it to hold everything from my bow/rifle to bags to folding camp tables. Truck cap is a Leer 100xr.

14c256793ee20c120a9cbb6222aa2d52.jpg

Nice! Can you post a close up of mounting? Never knew you could buy bungee in bulk either, will have to look into this. Here is my current setup with ARE cap.

d5bcd2d97002d20345e251021ed2a601.jpg

Hamr25

FNG
I can’t actually. Sold the cap a few months ago along with the truck. I can dig up the links for everything I ordered from Amazon for this.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t actually. Sold the cap a few months ago along with the truck. I can dig up the links for everything I ordered from Amazon for this.

No worries, I’ll figure it out. I just looked up the bungee on Amazon and put it in my cart! I probably just need to get some longer Bolts for my roof rack bolts coming through and figure out a way to use them. You just had me curious with the mention of sheet metal screws!

Hamr25

FNG
No worries, I’ll figure it out. I just looked up the bungee on Amazon and put it in my cart! I probably just need to get some longer Bolts for my roof rack bolts coming through and figure out a way to use them. You just had me curious with the mention of sheet metal screws!

The area in the center of the roof is thicker (about an inch) than the rest of the cap. I used this area to screw the clamps into. Not sure if ARE have the same style construction.

I did this using the nuts from the roof rack rails. I backed some of the nuts out and hooked the mesh in, then re-tightened. I ended up taking it down because it was always in the way.