Diy folding stock

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As in cut a stock and make it folding?

it’s hard to imagine how to do it and make it durable. I say that cause I have tried to imagine it. I picked up a junky HS Precision and cut it as part of the process to see what I was dealing with. That’s as far as I got…

Get a chassis if you want a folding stock.

I picked up a McMillan Sentry that is a stock front end that takes an AR butt and grip. I ran it with a folder for a while. Have one to sell still.

Wrench

WKR
Are you thinking something like what manners does? Another option would be to do a bow bolt like toelke uses. You could make a simple lock latch.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ok lightfoot.i was just thinking for a 22
I made one for a savage rascal to use as a grouse plinker.

RrGlfxKl.jpg

PdIWxqTl.jpg

Me and hunting partner took a grouse hike one morning during elk, I got my limit, he struggled a bit more with the aiming in this setup, a 410 would have served him well that day ;) . Far from perfect but its functional.
n7OZzEcl.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
I picked up a junky HS Precision and cut it as part of the process to see what I was dealing with. That’s as far as I got…
I’ve been tossing around the same idea - how to get a regular Kevlar stock to fold near the pistol grip.

Someone had a video a year or two ago that I cannot find, where the guy uses a Hornady lock-n-load bushing imbedded in a cut through the pistol grip. A 1/4 turn and it comes apart - kind of a cool idea. I never did see an update as to how well it worked or how he kept the two halves from rotating.

The only “normal” stock I’ve seen with a well executed joint at the pistol grip was a super fancy custom gun and the gunsmith machined a tapered dovetail joint sized to exactly match the stock lines. When it’s slid together it just looked like a steel 1/4” line through the pistil grip - I’ve never seen another so maybe it’s not practical.

The foldable AR style stocks have a rather simple mechanism, but they are so expensive I’ve been hesitant to epoxy one into a Kevlar stock, not to mention some form of threaded tube needs to be imbedded on both sides.

I wish you would figure this out so I can copy it! 🙂

Attachments

• 8F039B20-58C4-4207-B582-65B9314C0797.jpeg
    8F039B20-58C4-4207-B582-65B9314C0797.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 15

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve been tossing around the same idea - how to get a regular Kevlar stock to fold near the pistol grip.

Someone had a video a year or two ago that I cannot find, where the guy uses a Hornady lock-n-load bushing imbedded in a cut through the pistol grip. A 1/4 turn and it comes apart - kind of a cool idea. I never did see an update as to how well it worked or how he kept the two halves from rotating.

The only “normal” stock I’ve seen with a well executed joint at the pistol grip was a super fancy custom gun and the gunsmith machined a tapered dovetail joint sized to exactly match the stock lines. When it’s slid together it just looked like a steel 1/4” line through the pistil grip - I’ve never seen another so maybe it’s not practical.

The foldable AR style stocks have a rather simple mechanism, but they are so expensive I’ve been hesitant to epoxy one into a Kevlar stock, not to mention some form of threaded tube needs to be imbedded on both sides.

I wish you would figure this out so I can copy it! 🙂
That may be worth considering. I would want some sort of spring tension, enough to keep it from rotating under recoil and handling.

I have thought about the tapered key way. A little sand could make it unusable.

I have thought about a piece of Picatinny rail, like some rifle caliber pistols use. Not folding but quick detach.

I have had AR folding mechanisms. I broke one under light use. Others did ok.

I am trying to think of something simple but maybe not obvious… nothing out there I am aware of out there that I like. Although I don’t know everything…

Wrench

WKR
Warren makes the bow bolt. It's very simple and locks up tighter than you'll believe.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That looks very slick. Thanks for the info! It looks way stronger than we'd need for a rifle.

I think the threads would be too small for a rifle that I would be carrying broken down on my pack. I would rather have larger threads. Something that would have room to push out of the way sand, dirt, grit, etc.

I had a similar thought with an angled ramp to draw it tight, but without the multiple threads. Something more like the Hornady lock and load, but with compression and a detent ball.