DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

dv808

FNG
So do you think we can both shoot an animal in one outing? "Non-hunting accompanying adult" is what confuses me.
"Non-hunting adult" only pertains to the youth rifle week which was early this month. Every kid needed to be accompanied by a licensed non-hunting adult. Muzzleloader week followed and now we're in the first week of general rifle. Everyone in the field needs to be a registered hunter with permit for their appropriate week and tags. Kids can still hunt if they were part of the party drawn for general rifle. I hope you and your kid are part of the same weekly group.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

krolelov

FNG
"Non-hunting adult" only pertains to the youth rifle week which was early this month. Every kid needed to be accompanied by a licensed non-hunting adult. Muzzleloader week followed and now we're in the first week of general rifle. Everyone in the field needs to be a registered hunter with permit for their appropriate week and tags. Kids can still hunt if they were part of the party drawn for general rifle. I hope you and your kid are part of the same weekly group.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk
Yes, I applying as a group, so we drew for the same week.

That's right! It only applies to the youth week. You solved it. Thank you!

krolelov

FNG
Do you guys buy tags online or in person? I am incline to buy in person as it saves a service fee and I have to check in at the ranger station prior the hunt anyway. Is buying the tags online saving me any time during the check in? The ranger station may be very crowded as all the hunters will likely to show up the day before the hunt.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Do you guys buy tags online or in person? I am incline to buy in person as it saves a service fee and I have to check in at the ranger station prior the hunt anyway. Is buying the tags online saving me any time during the check in? The ranger station may be very crowded as all the hunters will likely to show up the day before the hunt.
Unless the process changed in last few years, the only way to get tags is at the station. It is usually fairly busy but doesn’t take more than an hour (my experience).

Again my info may be a tad dated if they are offering online now.

3 out of 4 of my experiences my bags didn’t make it with me on the same flight (out of Oahu) so we had time to kill anyway.

krolelov

FNG
Unless the process changed in last few years, the only way to get tags is at the station. It is usually fairly busy but doesn’t take more than an hour (my experience).

Again my info may be a tad dated if they are offering online now.

3 out of 4 of my experiences my bags didn’t make it with me on the same flight (out of Oahu) so we had time to kill anyway.
Per hunt announcement letter, "purchasing of tags may be available online requiring hunters to only sign Pūlama Lānaʻi waiver forms at the check station". It seems that it can be done online.

An hour of wait time is not too bad. May just go that route.

Did they require you to fill two doe tags before selling you an either sex tag?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Per hunt announcement letter, "purchasing of tags may be available online requiring hunters to only sign Pūlama Lānaʻi waiver forms at the check station". It seems that it can be done online.

An hour of wait time is not too bad. May just go that route.

Did they require you to fill two doe tags before selling you an either sex tag?
Again it’s been a while. But last I hunted there was a requirement to purchase a doe tag PRIOR to purchasing an either sex. But both could be done at check in and it didn’t require it be filled. So just paying some extra $$. Assuming that may be the same this year.

krolelov

FNG
Got you. Thanks for your feedback.

This year they offer 2 free doe tags with a purchase of 3 allowed tags. I'm guessing they have more deer than they need. This actually makes sense given that the hunting was messed up for at least one year due to covid. I cannot wait until September.

Has anyone hunted the public muzzleloader season on Lanai, and how it compares to the number of hunters afield during the archery and rifle seasons?

I also wasn't sure about the logistics of getting blackhorn 209 powder to the island. I've flown with a rifle and bow, but never flown with the muzzleloader.

Has anyone hunted the public muzzleloader season on Lanai, and how it compares to the number of hunters afield during the archery and rifle seasons?

I also wasn't sure about the logistics of getting blackhorn 209 powder to the island. I've flown with a rifle and bow, but never flown with the muzzleloader.
Same number of hunters as rifle so same pressure. Worse odds than rifle. Less pressure than archery bc archery has no cap. Can't fly with black powder so yea that makes it tricky

Got you. Thanks for your feedback.

This year they offer 2 free doe tags with a purchase of 3 allowed tags. I'm guessing they have more deer than they need. This actually makes sense given that the hunting was messed up for at least one year due to covid. I cannot wait until September.
The free tags might be bonus but I know you gotta buy all the female tags before you get an either sex tag for both deer and sheep. So non res you are looking at 750$ per person if you want both a ram and buck tag for your hunt.

Trucks run $100-125/day and Tony has beds as does Jason. Roughly $60/night. If they are full they can probably direct you to someone who has space. Camping isn’t allowed unless you pay the $80/night in the one campground by the beach. Good luck!
Reached out to Tony and Joelle from your list ( I’m guessing you meant Joelle, I don’t see a Jason on there). I’m trying to set up a one-day hunt with the Pineapple Brothers guide service in the next 2 months, since they have HI resident rates I can take advantage of now. so thanks for the info shared on this thread, hopefully I can get out there, the prospect of being allowed to take a buck and two does all in one day just seems bananas to me!

krolelov

FNG
The free tags might be bonus but I know you gotta buy all the female tags before you get an either sex tag for both deer and sheep. So non res you are looking at 750$ per person if you want both a ram and buck tag for your hunt.
At the moment I'm thinking of buying 3 deer tags and 1 ewe tag that comes with 1 non-typical ram tag. I'll see how the hunt goes. But that's already a lot of tags.

Not exactly DIY, but I just booked with Pineapple Bros (High Adventure Company) to do a 1 day guided hunt on private in mid-Sept. Includes 1 “trophy” buck and 2 does, I just gotta shoot straight for that to happen in one day. I want to do DIY in the future, but considering I’ve never been to Lanai and the logistics are very difficult, plus the fact I already missed the opportunity to do any state-side hunts til next summer, I’d like to get out there with a high, guided likelihood of success and get my bearings out there so hopefully it’s easier to DIY next year. I did find lodging and a truck through a forum member here, which was a huge help, the lodging options below $500 a night were extremely limited otherwise.

Super excited about it, I’ve been daydreaming about hunting axis on Lanai for probably 2 years now. Gonna be a long 7 week wait til then!

Lanai state hunt tag applications opened today, seems notable to me that the season is from Feb 1 - May 28 2023. This year the season is May 14-Oct 23, which is both longer by a not-insignificant amount as well as later in the year that I assume lined up with bucks being out of velvet and the rut. I've heard deer numbers on the state side are dramatically down in the last year due to drought and hunting pressure, any thoughts on this to the guys in the know? I'll be out there next month (!) so I'll ask some questions on the ground too.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Lanai state hunt tag applications opened today, seems notable to me that the season is from Feb 1 - May 28 2023. This year the season is May 14-Oct 23, which is both longer by a not-insignificant amount as well as later in the year that I assume lined up with bucks being out of velvet and the rut. I've heard deer numbers on the state side are dramatically down in the last year due to drought and hunting pressure, any thoughts on this to the guys in the know? I'll be out there next month (!) so I'll ask some questions on the ground too.
The dates for 2023 align for previous years dates.

From what I can tell reason 2022 was as long as it was is for Covid mitigation and due to effects of Covid for previous two years resulting in overpopulation on the island.

krolelov

FNG
Thanks for the notification! I am curious too why they change the hunting season every single year. Wasn't the application period in the fall months?
The end of the next year season is pretty much the peak of the rut. This year they give you 2 free doe tags if you buy 3 tags. The statements above tell me that they rather have too many deer... But this is just my observation, no clue on actual numbers. Will know more when I get there in a couple of weeks.

FNG
Lanai does a yearly public axis hunt. 100% draw for archery. Near 100% for rifle.

I PM’d you my number to chat if you like. You can hunt private on lanai too for reasonably cheap year around.

hunting out here is awesome. Highly recommend it.
I would be super interested in information on hunting Axis deer. I have a buddy and also my girlfriend and I who have been talking about this for a couple years but don't really know where to start.