DIY Moose hunting trip 2020

Guys: As you are seeing the flight services are booked for 2020 so start planning now for 2021 and 2022. Moose hunts require a 18 month out planning process. So many areas to hunt moose up here. Consider what your priorities are. If its cost first look into the area around the Fairbanks area. Easy access but small critters but lots of them. Mostly Spike Fork bulls. The area out in the Susitna River is the same...Lots of spike fork bulls.

If quality of hunt and remote is the priority consider the units in the Lower Yukon, Lower Kusko and the area around Galena as there are Big Bulls out there but remember it will be pricy! If you want the goods you have to be willing to pay the price! Nothing in remote Alaska comes cheep. Remember the cost of fuel drives the price of everything and gas cost $7.50 a gal in most of "Bush" Alaska thus the high prices. Too many guys expect to see costs closer to what you see in the Mid West but that is not the case. No one is out to price gouge most of the time. Shipping meat/horns out of most of these places will ruin you $1.80 a pound both ways. Consider that that moose will be about 750-950+ pounds @ $1.80 so that moose will cost you about $1,700 to bring it back to Anchorage!!! Then you have to take it home....Very pricy to get a critter out of places like Marshall Alaska.

Food for thought

Walt

Attachments

• 828690-orig-1_orig.jpg
    828690-orig-1_orig.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

Zane242

FNG
I did a DIY moose/caribou hunt out of Dillingham awhile back. I’m not sure that area is on your list of potential moose areas but we used Bay Air and had a great experience. I’d be happy to share details if that area is near where you are planning to hunt.
Hey thought id try anouther time to see if you can share any advise on your hunt you did with bay air?

Pootros

FNG
My hunt with Bay Air was in 1996 so my opinion might be a bit dated. They provided us with a wonderful experience all around and I can’t recommend them enough. Tom was able to provide us a Zodiac with a motor which was fairly crucial to expanding our hunting area. He also placed us in an area that had game (caribou) and was able to move us to another lake for a better shot at moose. We filled all our tags and felt well taken care of.

All this being said, the area where we hunted has changed dramatically since 1996 with a reported massive reduction in caribou numbers. I’m not sure how the area fairs for moose but Tom and his wife would be able to point you in the right direction up there and give you more info. I would not hesitate to use Bay Air again and hope to make it back to AK at some point.

mrhodes3

FNG
I did a DIY moose/caribou hunt out of Dillingham awhile back. I’m not sure that area is on your list of potential moose areas but we used Bay Air and had a great experience. I’d be happy to share details if that area is near where you are planning to hunt.
I would love to touch base with you as I have a trip booked for 2023

BigTree

FNG
Hello everyone. I just posted a thread on How to ship meat and antlers from Alaska. I own AK Trophy Expediters LLC in Anchorage, AK and I specialize in getting all of your stuff home for the cheapest route possible. If you have any questions about that part of your planning let me know. Or if you have any general questions let me know I will try to help out the best I can.
I know planning a Alaska hunt is overwhelming so if I can make stuff less stressful let me know.
Hello,
I am going on a moose hunt with my father in the Bethel, AK area and am interested in transport. I'll contact you at the phone number given via Google search. Thanks for posting.