DIY Quilt for the Cold

coop2424

WKR
Finally finished this project and I will tell you I learned a lot and had a lot of frustrating moments.. Not sure what the temp rating is but it will be for very cold since I used 10oz apex climashield.. The insulation is what caused the most frustration since the insulation is so thick and fabric slides so easily.. if I would of used 5oz or even 7.5oz it would of been a pretty simple project.. Not sure what I was thinking when I picked the 10oz but prob the bigger is better idea.. I did drawstring on the footbox with snaps to close it up and mainly did this so I can use this as a blanket if need be in warmer weather or while glassing somewhere.. Weighs right at 2lbs 7oz

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks good. Where did you source your materials? What's your guess of final cost? Can you post a picture of it compressed down. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
coop2424

coop2424

WKR
Got fabric and insulation from ripstopbythe roll and then plastic button kit from eBay.. I bought enough stuff for two and if you split that cost in half I am in this about $115 for everything.. It is wide and long and it is great I did it myself but if I did it again I prob would of just bought one since my time is limited and this took a good amount of time.. I will post pic of compressed down when I get a dry sack for it..

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What material did you use for the inside and outside. I looked at ripstopbytheroll think I might try this project. I might go with the 7.5 though wonder what they temp rate that for

Lil-Rokslider
Around 20* if I remember right and that's going off websites that sell quilts. The 10 oz is used in 0* quilts.

OP
coop2424

coop2424

WKR
I would go with 7.5 or even 5 depending on when you will use it... I didn't think that most of the time I have long johns and what not on so really didn't need it as warm as I did.. Outside is 1.6oz hyperd diamond ripstop and inside is .66oz membrane 10 taffeta.

Beendare

WKR
Well you did a great job.

i have a puffy jacket i got from Cabelas many years ago [my favorite] and its lined with a very soft high thread count microfiber material...that might be the ticket for me if I attempt this project....

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Beendare the .66 gets great reviews for softness against the skin feel. Down side is it's only 58 wide so they may limit the width of the quilt. I think I will dive into a similar project this winter. Excellent looking work coop

I have been specking out doing this myself. It is awesome that you did this, it looks really nice. Do you know what the overall weight of the quilt is?

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, thats a fine job....a couple more questions if you will.

Did you tack the climashield at all in a few places to keep it from shifting...or no need?

Did you weigh the insulation prior to assembly?

Reason I ask on the weight....i'm trying to get an idea of the difference in weight between syn and down insulation....so any guesstimate on that is appreciated. I would think there is a little weight savings due to no baffles needed for the syn insulation....

Oh, and what size does it compress down to?

Last edited:
OP
coop2424

coop2424

WKR
Ok so I ran the quilt this weekend and it worked perfect.. It wasn't real cold so I didn't have it all tightened up so I could get some air in to cool and it was perfect.. The weight on this one is 2lbs 8oz.. i don't have a compression drybag but in the one I had it was 6.75" x 10.75" x 22" so not real compressed but not bad and will compress more.. The insulation is seen into the seems around the entire outside of the quilt.. The .66 taffeta is super soft on the inside and is a very nice material.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I know I’m digging up an old thread here. Care to shed any advice for a guy getting ready to do the same thing?

What temp do you realistically think the 10 oz. would get you down too? 0? -10?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lane579

FNG
I'd also be interested in some dimensions and long term thoughts since you've had it, if you see this. I have a sail rite machine and would probably use heavy nylon thread I use on corder. Any thoughts on that?