DIY Speed Goat Hunt

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
Best place for a DIY speed goat hunt? Myself and a couple of friends want to do a DIY antelope hunt. We don’t mind putting in for tags if need be. Kinda want to let my 22 CM eat!

JFK

WKR
The best place for a diy antelope hunt is a place you can get a tag and have land to hunt. That narrows it down significantly. Do some research and the choice will become very clear where the best opportunity is. What unit/area, draw odds, public access are all things you need to consider. Not to discourage you, it’s a great time and very doable diy.

Rich M

WKR
Antelopes are fun to hunt. Totally DIY-able.

The preference point game is tough.

Hunt areas that have enough public land & access is tough.

Figure it'll take you 5 years to go on this hunt - buy your first preference point like right now. Then for the next 4 or 5 or 8 years, you guys can do your research and get things figured out.

If you want to do it in like 2 or 3 years, will need private land access or a guide.

Just how it is.

I did an OTC hunt in WY back in 2018 when I first moved to MT. There were very few spots of public land in that area. It was literally a round robin on the public between trucks that week. My son and I doubled up that first day. It was everything people make the hunts out to be. Get out there and enjoy it!

TaperPin

WKR
There‘s a lot of public land in central, south central and south west Wyoming. Unfortunately, minimum caliber for big game hunting is .243” and game wardens won’t hesitate to write tickets.

TaperPin

WKR
22 caliber is good for antelope, deer, mt lion and wolf in Wyoming as long as it has a 60 gr bullet.
That must have changed since I lived there - I like the new rule since so many people shoot .22 cal well.

j_volt

WKR
A piece of advice... be careful with reading stories from previous years about only burning 1 point and having a great hunt. Things have changed substantially over the past 5 years in regards to hunter demand. As an example, I am looking at a random Wyoming unit that took 6 points this year in the special. That same unit took 2 points in the special in 2018.

*zap*

WKR
We have resident otc archery tags here. I may go this season. Good luck to the op.

Last edited:
Antelopes are fun to hunt. Totally DIY-able.

The preference point game is tough.

Hunt areas that have enough public land & access is tough.

Figure it'll take you 5 years to go on this hunt - buy your first preference point like right now. Then for the next 4 or 5 or 8 years, you guys can do your research and get things figured out.

If you want to do it in like 2 or 3 years, will need private land access or a guide.

Just how it is.

Took 13 points for me this year.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Best place for a DIY speed goat hunt? Myself and a couple of friends want to do a DIY antelope hunt. We don’t mind putting in for tags if need be. Kinda want to let my 22 CM eat!
Wyo. You have so many chances even if you blow one. I'm jaded because I live here but when I antelope hunt I can't get out of them.

Even after this last winter when I was scouting. Tons in central wyo. My favorite hunt.

Fitzwho

WKR
Cost me 5 points on the special draw in Wyoming last year. With tag cuts from this winter and changes to the special draw there’s no telling how Wyoming will shake out the next few years.

This year I burned 6 points in SoDak and 7 points in Montana to draw each of my tags.

Waiting on Texas results where I have 9 points and probably 1% odds.

Easiest way to get a rifle hunt for a group would be to pay to play in NM on Private Land. Will take some legwork. It’s barely worth it to apply for public land tags in NM anymore. Especially as a group.

Rich M

WKR
Same here, so I "settled".

Gotcha - hope you get what you are looking for out of your hunt.

Even with it being guided, looking for the same things: buck antelope, campfire under the stars, some trout fishing, some historical sites of interest, basically a few old guys spending a week in WY. Not gonna do the trophy hunt thing - if, when it's my turn to shoot, first average buck in range is fine. It's about the entire experience for me, not sure if us "old guys" are gonna do anything like this again so gotta enjoy it.

Shosky

FNG
The best place for a diy antelope hunt is a place you can get a tag and have land to hunt. That narrows it down significantly. Do some research and the choice will become very clear where the best opportunity is. What unit/area, draw odds, public access are all things you need to consider. Not to discourage you, it’s a great time and very doable diy.

This advice nails it. Good luck! Hunting antelope is super fun.