DIY Spotting scope sleeve?

Elcy

FNG
Has anyone made their own? If so did you use neoprene or something else?

I recently purchased a gen 1 Vortex razor spotter that only came with the big bulky bag. I love to tinker and make my own stuff, but am debating whether its just easier to drop the $50 on a commercially made sleeve vs the few hrs of labor to make one once I source some neoprene.

FlyGuy

WKR
I just bought some Tennis Racquet tape the other day to try and wrap around my Kowa 77 (no one makes a neoprene cover for it). I’ll probably try it later today and let you know.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Just ordered a $15 straight Vortex scope cover to go on an angled Kowa scope (I didn’t want to drop $125 on a Kowa cover and Vortex doesn’t make the cover to fit my scope anymore). I figure I can do a few knife alterations when I get it, but I’m not expecting it to look very pretty when I’m done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought some Tennis Racquet tape the other day to try and wrap around my Kowa 77 (no one makes a neoprene cover for it). I’ll probably try it later today and let you know.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

OP
E

Elcy

FNG
Thanks for the ideas, I would have never thought about racket tape, that's slick.

As luck would have it, I stumbled across a near perfect solution today while helping my wife clean out the closet.
My wife's old neoprene knee sleeve.
It's not quite as tight as I'd like it, but fits well. The existing knee cap hole was perfect for the base to fit through, I just had to make a cut out for the focus knobs, and might make a slit for the viewing angle knob. If I can find one of my old sleeves, I'll try to make lens covers for it. 20190817_112717.jpg

Larry Bartlett made one out of an old thermarest foam pad.

ea459f43c4a9c576f41f6b39021ca67f.jpg

In this video, still one I draw inspiration from...

OP
E

Elcy

FNG
I found my old sleeve, and 2 hrs later came up with the 2 caps. They're held onto the body w/ velcro and seem pretty stout.

Like most of my other projects I would have been $ ahead just buying one from the store, but there's a great feeling in creating, problem solving, and re-using things that would have been thrown away.
20190817_140608.jpg20190817_140546.jpg

I found my old sleeve, and 2 hrs later came up with the 2 caps. They're held onto the body w/ velcro and seem pretty stout.

Like most of my other projects I would have been $ ahead just buying one from the store, but there's a great feeling in creating, problem solving, and re-using things that would have been thrown away.
View attachment 116582View attachment 116583
Looks good.
Now just figure out how to get the kifaru rhino emblem on it and they will sell for $500 a piece......lol

I was just talking to a buddy about cook set coozies as we’re piecing our kits together not buying them.

Kept my old dive booties too read a thick piece of felt glued to the bottom makes some very quiet stalking slippers...

Good diy with the wetsuit sleeve

Not quite the same but I made a plastic sleeve for my STS
Was tired of loosing it in the large single compartment bkpk, so made a tube from Sno Slider / Krazy Karpet plastic
Scope is usually upright now and slides out easy for handy use.
The first one I made was de-constructed to use the plastic sheet for a rifle scope weather shield during a particularily stormy sheep stock to keep the objective somewhat clear., easily reassembled with elec tape