DIY Ti stove help/ideas

rj2

WKR
I'm thinking about building a DIY stove, either similar to TiGoat Wifi or Seek U-turn stoves. Just looking for some ideas and wondering how these companies are doing a few things on their stoves.

On the Wifi, does anyone know how the foil for the stovebody connects to itself in the back of the stove? Or does it just overlap a few inches or something?

How do people like the curved door on the wifi? Probably doesn't seal as well as u-turn door but is there any negative effects?

For the U-turn how do they attach the foil stove body to the door panel?

Any help would be great, thanks

This should get you started

This should get you started

The WiFi design is great. The door works really well, and it’s easier to make a curved door than a flat one due to the memory in the titanium foil. I found this a lot easier to run than the LO 18in that I had previously. Lighter weight too.

Beendare

WKR
I have the cylinder version.

if I was going to make another stove it would be a box version. Just need a sheetmetal bender to flange the pieces. You can buy one of these to do by hand for $30.

_____

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
The WiFi design is great. The door works really well, and it’s easier to make a curved door than a flat one due to the memory in the titanium foil. I found this a lot easier to run than the LO 18in that I had previously. Lighter weight too.

thanks, looks good. do you just have the foil overlapping in the back? how much overlap?

thanks, looks good. do you just have the foil overlapping in the back? how much overlap?

Start with about 3 in of overlap. I tuck in the overlap between a small tab of titanium and the back wall. If you have too much overlap it doesn’t hold the shape too well...but too little and you get a gap obviously. So start with a little extra and see how it looks. The whole thing doesn’t have to be too precise. When you get heat in the pipe it drafts the smoke well up the pipe and won’t leak smoke.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Start with about 3 in of overlap. I tuck in the overlap between a small tab of titanium and the back wall. If you have too much overlap it doesn’t hold the shape too well...but too little and you get a gap obviously. So start with a little extra and see how it looks. The whole thing doesn’t have to be too precise. When you get heat in the pipe it drafts the smoke well up the pipe and won’t leak smoke.

If you could build a new one now, what changes would you make? Would you do anything different? Yours is pretty much what I had in mind if I went with that style instead of a solid door panel like the U-turn.

Think I should be able to get all the parts for about $260 so a little torn vs going with lite outdoors 18" or kifaru 18". I think a diy style like this should be lighter than the lite outdoors but close with kifaru, easier assembly than the cylinders, and the flat top is nice.

If you could build a new one now, what changes would you make? Would you do anything different? Yours is pretty much what I had in mind if I went with that style instead of a solid door panel like the U-turn.

Think I should be able to get all the parts for about $260 so a little torn vs going with lite outdoors 18" or kifaru 18". I think a diy style like this should be lighter than the lite outdoors but close with kifaru, easier assembly than the cylinders, and the flat top is nice.

Where are you sourcing the titanium? I think I was around that much and came out with two stoves and one pipe, including some tools I had to buy.

I wouldn’t change them, super happy with how they turned out and how well they work. Have not used the tiny one much in the field yet but the bigger one is great. I might have added a spark arrestor. I’ve burned a few too many holes in my tent. It’s a fun project but it’s not a whole lot cheaper than buying a brand new one as you have pointed out. It’s more fun though!

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Where are you sourcing the titanium? I think I was around that much and came out with two stoves and one pipe, including some tools I had to buy.

I wouldn’t change them, super happy with how they turned out and how well they work. Have not used the tiny one much in the field yet but the bigger one is great. I might have added a spark arrestor. I’ve burned a few too many holes in my tent. It’s a fun project but it’s not a whole lot cheaper than buying a brand new one as you have pointed out. It’s more fun though!

i was looking at

55 for 020 sheet for top/bottom - 44" x 9.9" was thinking I might want enough extra for a front panel like U-turns
85 for 7' of 3" pipe
40 for 4' of 10" foil for body
35 for seek damper/arrestor
20 for 10 3" stovepipe rings
20 for legs/nuts
7.5 for pipe storage tube

i was looking at

55 for 020 sheet for top/bottom - 44" x 9.9" was thinking I might want enough extra for a front panel like U-turns
85 for 7' of 3" pipe
40 for 4' of 10" foil for body
35 for seek damper/arrestor
20 for 10 3" stovepipe rings
20 for legs/nuts
7.5 for pipe storage tube

You can get the foil a bit cheaper from lite outdoors, same with the rings, damper, arrestor (although in 2.5 in and not 3). The legs (12in all thread) and nuts are cheap hardware store purchases can’t imagine them being more than 10 total.