DIY Tikka Barrel Swap, By Dioni Amuchastegui

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Any one have problems with the barrel spinning in the viper vise? I tried drywall tape, toilet paper tube, and brown sugar. Been doing a star pattern to get even clamp force too. Threads have been soaking in liquid wrench for a couple days and will continue to do so until I can figure out how to clamp the damn thing

MattiG

FNG
I had all kinds of issues with all of the usual recommendations. It was ultimately leather that worked for me.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Any one have problems with the barrel spinning in the viper vise? I tried drywall tape, toilet paper tube, and brown sugar. Been doing a star pattern to get even clamp force too. Threads have been soaking in liquid wrench for a couple days and will continue to do so until I can figure out how to clamp the damn thing
You have to go way tighter than what seems reasonable on the viper. If your top cap isn't bending is not tight enough. Mine only lasted around 8 barrel removals.
You have to shock load it with a quick hit when your removing the barrel also.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
You have to go way tighter than what seems reasonable on the viper. If your top cap isn't bending is not tight enough. Mine only lasted around 8 barrel removals.
You have to shock load it with a quick hit when your removing the barrel also.
I’ll give it another shot after work today. Right now I’m using a 1/2 ratchet as tight as I can get it. I’m also using a 45 oz rubber mallet for shock force

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again for everyone’s help. Managed to get it with a 36 inch pipe wrench and a 4 foot breaker bar over the wheeler action wrench. Here are the battle scars and the finished product. Will be put in a Rokstok hopefully soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1758.jpeg
    IMG_1758.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1756.jpeg
    IMG_1756.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1757.jpeg
    IMG_1757.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 52

Mhahn2

Lil-Rokslider
I use post it notes wrapped around the barrel I have also used toilet paper roll I use the viper vise also. I tighten down pretty hard on the vise. I think the key is using a heavy sledge hammer and jolting the external action wrench I have done two so far and after the third hit the break loose with 3lb sledge.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Interesting way to mount a barrel vise. Mine is mounted on my bench top. Do you feel you can get better leverage with it mounted on the side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't know if it makes a meaningful difference that way. I just like that it wasn't in the way of my work space. The arca mount is nice too. I keep the vice in a cabinet till I need it.

I don't know if it makes a meaningful difference that way. I just like that it wasn't in the way of my work space. The arca mount is nice too. I keep the vice in a cabinet till I need it.

I can see that. I’ll upgrade to the SAC vise at some point. The ARCA mount will be nice for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dunky

WKR
Just did my first barrel with the short action customs vice. It's definitely better and easier than the viper.
Just took off my first two barrels with this vise and the tikka bushings. Went expensive on the vise then made the mistake of going cheap and trying the 31 mm box end wrench on the first one and marred my action slightly. Bought a real action wrench and it was much easier. The bravo vise is nice. Thanks for this thread.

wyosam

WKR
Just took off my first two barrels with this vise and the tikka bushings. Went expensive on the vise then made the mistake of going cheap and trying the 31 mm box end wrench on the first one and marred my action slightly. Bought a real action wrench and it was much easier. The bravo vise is nice. Thanks for this thread.

Yeah, putting the cheap part on the expensive part is..expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk