Diy tipi tent vent size

Kustom

FNG
I'm almost finished with a tipi build based roughly on Woodbow's did tipi design. All I have left to do is install the vent. How do I size the vent for the tipi? It's 7.5 feet tall and 15 in diameter. Does anyone have images on how they built and installed the vent? Looking for a little guidance.

Photo is from a few hours ago, still working on getting the pitch right ( it might never be right, I'm under a time crunch and things could have been done better).
Both the stove Jack and outer top cap are installed now.
a80aa2f40b25945c80028d901ac70a9e.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
IMO, Bigger is better. more air flow/convection current helps with the big 'C'

I used a strip of plastic 1" wide sewn into the brow to hold it open. Seam to seam...mine is across 2 seams...but I have 12 sides. Easier to do it mid tipi....I also did mine after the fact and it was a PITA.

The vent on my SO Redcliffe ( 4-6 man (6'-10" tall) is about 8"-10" wide by about 6"-8" tall and I think it is like a half moon shape with the flap able to cover it when not needed.
I am guessing from memory as I never really measure it, but simply opened it when I used it.

Making it too small at first is better than making it too big.
Making it correctly is best though
:)

WKR
IMO, Bigger is better. more air flow/convection current helps with the big 'C'

I used a strip of plastic 1" wide sewn into the brow to hold it open. Seam to seam...mine is across 2 seams...but I have 12 sides. Easier to do it mid tipi....I also did mine after the fact and it was a PITA.
Weed trimmer line works well for this

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
I tried weed trimmer line and it didn’t work so well for me. It ended up wanting to coil back up and not keep the vent hood arched up. I then went to some strips I cut off of those thin flexible cutting boards. It worked okay, but when I found some long zip ties, I tried those and they worked the best on my pyramid. I’m sure some guys have great success with some of the other options, mine was probably due to the craftsman.....

Jeremy