DIY Tut XL

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
Sorry ..i dug up an old one!! what are everyones thoughts on making this shelter out of 1.9 ripstop?

It’s doable but will be quite a bit heavier then the 1.1 oz silpoly. What are you hoping the advantage is with the heavier material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NV HUNTER

WKR
I am hoping for a shelter that will be a little more durable, and about 2 lbs heavier.

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
I think it will be fine as long as weight isn’t an issue for you. The heavier fabric may be a bit quieter in the wind too I would think.

Beendare

WKR
My experience;
I built a tipi with the 1.6oz Sil nylon PU4000 [1.9oz finished] by RSBTR for just that reason- durability. Its 40d rated vs the 20d or 30d of other fabrics. Limbs poking it don't break through...and you can pitch that sucker very tight. It seems to me it has a little less sag too.

It was worth it to me as most times I don't backpack it- until I did!

To give you an idea my 13' diameter to outer hem 12 sided by 8'6" tall tipi weighs 5.5#. [velcro perimeter skirt, stove jack-without stakes]

With the Mtn fabric 1.1oz [finished 1.3oz] its only about 3/4 # lighter with the thin fabric. FYI, where the lighter fabric really makes a difference is in how compact you can bag it up...the 1.1oz Sil fabric is much more compact. BTW, its a little easier to sew than the 1.1oz stuff as its more substantial. You can literally pin it, fold and go.

Hope that helps.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
any patterns available for something like this? impretty inexperienced to do from scratch

big44a4

WKR
Cool thread. I have material coming in today to try and build similar kit but did not get the XL material this time. Does it matter where you start sewing from top or bottom? Do you see pieces together then do rolled hem at the bottom? Seems like that’d be too big piece of fabric at the end to do that.

eagle_eye

FNG
I sewed my sections from bottom to top. Then the bottoms all match up and you could hide any mismatches under the outer cone. Most of the time the sections came out within an inch of each other. I found that pinning the seams helps keep the fabric from creeping. The bottom hems could be done all at once or each side separately, since the corners would have stake down reinforcements sewn over the hem at that point. If that makes sense.

big44a4

WKR
I sewed my sections from bottom to top. Then the bottoms all match up and you could hide any mismatches under the outer cone. Most of the time the sections came out within an inch of each other. I found that pinning the seams helps keep the fabric from creeping. The bottom hems could be done all at once or each side separately, since the corners would have stake down reinforcements sewn over the hem at that point. If that makes sense.

Yeah. Is everyone using full flat felled seams at connections for the panels?

This is my first tipi and first attempt at sewing anything. So any other pointers would be helpful as well.

eagle_eye

FNG
I used flat-felled seams on all seams. I think I remember someone using a faux felled seam.
Good luck. You will definitely get a lot of satisfaction from making your own tipi.
Definitely some painful parts of the process if you've never sewn anything. My Stretched Tut was
a learning experience, it was my first sewing project. You should try making a few meat bags/stuff sacks or pullouts just to get used to handling the material. The zipper part definitely had me scratching my head for a while. Good luck. Hope to see your finished project.

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
any patterns available for something like this? impretty inexperienced to do from scratch

I dont know of any patterns. This is a very basic design, it just happens to be really big. Follow the step by step process and you’ll be fine.

OP
530Chukar

530Chukar

WKR
Cool thread. I have material coming in today to try and build similar kit but did not get the XL material this time. Does it matter where you start sewing from top or bottom? Do you see pieces together then do rolled hem at the bottom? Seems like that’d be too big piece of fabric at the end to do that.

Eagle eye is right on. See from the bottom to the top and then you can trim anything left on the top and cover with the cap. Once I had my 4 sides, I then did a rolled hem along the bottom to clean it up. All panels were sewn with flat felled seams. You’ve got a ton of fabric to manage when you get to the end.