do all 30 06 load

eric1115

WKR
None of the above. I'd do a 178 ELDX, 180 TMK, maybe 165 TGK, or Berger 180 Elite Hunter.

Something soft-ish, good BC for velocity retention and wind performance, starting at moderate velocity, and on the heavier for caliber side of things, has been my preference for a while now.

Monos need speed to work, and tend to bleed that speed off pretty fast due to low BC's. Start a heavy mono slower, and it's not going to work well at all.

Light and soft, going fast at the muzzle is not what I want either. Lots of the issues people have with soft bullets seem to me like they are due to very high muzzle velocity.

The Guide

WKR
I have data for my rifle and the 130ttsx. What mv it ended up at had it carrying 2300fps further than the 168ttsx and flatter. If I had more I'd be rolling with those this year.
The 130 TTSX are in-stock and ready to ship at midwayusa.com. My brother used them in an -06 back when he had time to reload and hunt. Did well for his needs (killing deer on hay stack that were donated to the food bank) but I think he went back to factory ammo once he ended up with more money than time.

Jay

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Currently a fan of mono metal bullets after the experience of throwing away excessive amounts of lead-impacted caribou shoulder meat resulting from Core-Lokt and Hornady SST rounds, and seeing the excellent penetration and minimal meat loss from copper bullets. Here are some speeds (3 to 5 round average) out of my 22" barrel 30-06 X-bolt for factory cartridges:
165 gr Hornady SST = 2,935 fps
175 gr Barnes LRX = 2,823 fps (best ballistics > 200 yds)
168 gr Barnes TTSX = 2,816 fps
180 gr Barnes TTSX = 2,744.5 fps
180 gr Hornady SST = 2,733 fps
180 gr Herters soft point = 2,650(ish). Didn't care enough to write down exact speed.
My x-bolt shoots comparable groups with all of these rounds except the Herters (cheap stuff). Looks like the 175 gr LRX hits a sweet spot for a copper bullet out of my rifle that is suitable for caribou/moose/bear as the LRX stays above 2,000 fps until about 440 yds, which is beyond the distance I shoot. I will try reloading some rounds with LRX and Superformance and H4350 this winter to see if I can dial in the "perfect round" for my purposes and lead-free preference.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm rocking 165gr Accubond this year. It's what my rifle seems to like the best. 53.5gr of H4350.

Currently a fan of mono metal bullets after the experience of throwing away excessive amounts of lead-impacted caribou shoulder meat resulting from Core-Lokt and Hornady SST rounds, and seeing the excellent penetration and minimal meat loss from copper bullets. Here are some speeds (3 to 5 round average) out of my 22" barrel 30-06 X-bolt:
165 gr Hornady SST = 2,935 fps
175 gr Barnes LRX = 2,823 fps (best ballistics > 200 yds)
168 gr Barnes TTSX = 2,816 fps
180 gr Barnes TTSX = 2,744.5 fps
180 gr Hornady SST = 2,733 fps
180 gr Herters soft point = 2,650(ish). Didn't care enough to write down exact speed.
My x-bolt shoots comparable groups with all of these rounds except the Herters (cheap stuff). Looks like the 175 gr LRX hits a sweet spot for a copper bullet out of my rifle that is suitable for caribou/moose/bear as the LRX stays above 2,000 fps until about 440 yds, which is beyond the distance I shoot. I will try reloading some rounds with LRX and Superformance and H4350 this winter to see if I can dial in the "perfect round" for my purposes and lead-free preference.
Just curious, what's your load data for the 168gr TTSX load?

I'm currently running 54grs of H-4350 under them in Lapua brass and CCI 200. Not moving fast at all out of my 22" xbolt (~2605fps), but produces really small groups (10shots in .6 moa @ 200yds). I'm considering moving from the 178gr ELD-X's to these.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, what's your load data for the 168gr TTSX load?

I'm currently running 54grs of H-4350 under them in Lapua brass and CCI 200. Not moving fast at all out of my 22" xbolt (~2605fps), but produces really small groups (10shots in .6 moa @ 200yds). I'm considering moving from the 178gr ELD-X's to these.
I should have more clearly stated that these are all factory cartridges and I don't know Barnes' load data. I plan to hand-load some LRX sometime in the near future after I have my barrel cut down to 19" to run a suppressor.

Last edited:

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
From my experience you cant go wrong with a 165 accubond or 168 ttsx. With IMR 4064 from a 24” barrel you’ll break 3000 fps easily With either bullet.
I shot the accubond for many years and killed many truckloads of elk, moose and deer with it. They often didn’t exit and I would find them around 116-118 grains under the hide on the offside.

I also went through a hundred 180 tsx on game close to 20 years ago. Loaded with IMR 4350 they were starting at 2850 from a 24” barrel. I only caught one and it went through about 12” of spine before stopping under the hide on his throat (hit between the front legs running away from me). Finished weight was 180.0 grains and I never had a problem with small wound channels, runners, delayed killing or lack of expansion EVER with that bullet.

Just prior to emigrating out of Canada I chose to load 130 ttsx because they were still going to finish heavier than an expanded 165 accubond. I loaded them with win 760 and got a shade over 3400fps from them. I shot three deer and one moose with them that fall. They were the most dramatic kills I’ve ever seen. The deer ranged from 150 to 400 yards, I shot them all in the chest and all went STRAIGHT down. The moose was running and the bullet broke the onside leg, punched a grapefruit sized hole through the chest and exited. She folded up her legs on impact, mid stride and landed head first in the snow. I never recovered one of those bullets. It was only one year but I would have continued to shoot that bullet if I was still back in the motherland hunting those species until I had a compelling reason not to. From what I saw it worked VERY well.
I also had good luck with 180 scirrocco and 200 accubonds. I never shot the 165 partition but how could it not be a good choice?

I see a lot of anaemic velocities listed. With the right powder and a book load you’ll hit the velocities I’ve listed +/- with a 24” barrel.

dla

WKR
Currently a fan of mono metal bullets after the experience of throwing away excessive amounts of lead-impacted caribou shoulder meat resulting from Core-Lokt and Hornady SST rounds, and seeing the excellent penetration and minimal meat loss from copper bullets.
Why are you shooting shoulders?

dla

WKR
I like 180gr at 2700-2900fps from a 24" barrel. I don't see the need to buy $1/shot bullets to kill Deer and Elk. Hornady Interlocks, Speer Hot Core, etc. kill just fine to as far as you can shoot.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
To allow keyboard quarterbacks the opportunity to imply that they are perfect shots and never miss their mark.
If you're honestly curious, the backstory is that it was my first large animal (caribou) and I missed the mark (lung/heart just behind shoulder) due to an unsteady hand and brief shot opportunity... and that I've since spent a lot of time improving my shooting skills. Bullets don't always land where planned and I'd rather have one that holds together and blows through bone if a shot isn't perfect. Based on my experience and preference, Core-Lokt bullets are for range only. (your mileage may vary)

Last edited:
Reactions: dla

The Guide

WKR
Have you ever hunted caribou? Most hunting for them is when they are in migration and large groups. If the singled out animal you shoot gets back into the herd and runs off, your chances of a 2nd shot are about 0%. Most hunters would favor more into the shoulder than into the guts. A wounded caribou in minutes will go a distance that will take you hours to go on the tundra. The preference is to kill them where they stand or break them down so they can't run off. Those lungs and heart are behind the shoulder so it isn't a bad shot.

Jay

gearhead7

FNG
Have had really good performance out of a 60 year old gun shooting 168 TTSX. Factory loaded from Barnes.

I’ve used a 180g Accubond for mule deer, speed goats, and elk out of my ‘06. Performance has been outstanding with good expansion, 100 percent pass throughs, and quick recovery from 50-320 yards.

Out of the bullets you mentioned, I’d be leery of the 180g Barnes. Those bullets need a pretty high impact velocity to expand in my experience.