Do buy binoculars for stargazers ? APM opinions?

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Seriously though, This brand has a wide catalog of very interesting optics that are well reviewed by the astronomy crowd. I am interested in their large to giant binoculars. Up tp 150 mm objective and interchangeable eyepieces. these would be used only from near vehicle. Does anyone have experience with their USA purchase process, or performance with terrestrial use. The astronomical optics user seems very discerning, even if their beliefs are considered superstition! JK. NE1 know about APM ?

Last edited:

sdx

FNG
I have APM 20x70mm, had them for about 5 years. I have taken them up mountains to glass and spotted quite a bit of game with them. The glass is good and sharp, FK-61. Some CA, but less than my vortex razor hd. My one complaint would be the eyebox and eye relief. It's very shallow and tough to get behind. I don't wear glasses and I need to press into the eye cups firmly or flip down the eye cups to get a good view. The objective covers will sometimes fall off, poor fit. The focus wheel on the eyepieces turn too easily on my set. I don't have any experience with their larger bins, they may be completely different. I don't have much experience with their customer service, I just ordered them online and that was it.

How would you mount 150mm binos to look through them? You would have to have a very sturdy setup for the weight of them.

sdx

FNG
Just found the 150mm online, 9k for them! Yeah, quite a bit different then mine.

OP
squid-freshprints

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
I have APM 20x70mm, had them for about 5 years. I have taken them up mountains to glass and spotted quite a bit of game with them. The glass is good and sharp, FK-61. Some CA, but less than my vortex razor hd. My one complaint would be the eyebox and eye relief. It's very shallow and tough to get behind. I don't wear glasses and I need to press into the eye cups firmly or flip down the eye cups to get a good view. The objective covers will sometimes fall off, poor fit. The focus wheel on the eyepieces turn too easily on my set. I don't have any experience with their larger bins, they may be completely different. I don't have much experience with their customer service, I just ordered them online and that was it.

How would you mount 150mm binos to look through them? You would have to have a very sturdy setup for the weight of them.
Thank you very much for your answer, it is most informative because I was considering testing the waters with the exact pair you mentioned and feel dissuaded. While the eye relief would not be an issue with replaceable eyepiece bino, build quality definitely would be. I personally would probably stop at 100 mm objective due to cost and weight. To mount I would use an astro size dovetail long mount for balance. and sit it on my biggest shooting pod, an Artcise with big tubes and no center. I would almost only use them from the road, specifically when viewing conditions are good, those kind of days are golden. So now I'm left still vacillating between APM, Kowa Highlander, or just sticking with spotters. As an aside, I just picked up Clestron skymaster pro ED 15 70s and had to take of the eyepiece covers to even get my eyes close enough for a full pupil, but after savaging them found the image awesome and cost low, (this is not an endorsement.) Snow covered background resolves super well with a 7 percent lunar filter attached

Reactions: sdx