Do engineers have a sense of humor?

go_deep

WKR
You seen where oil filters are located on some motors? Those people that engineered them are either the cousin of Lucifer, or engineering comedians!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My engineer buddy’s pull out game is terrible, does that count? If his wife wasn’t already pregnant I would expect another after today which is Valentine’s Day…

In reality tho… there’s nothing manufacturers love more than dead sharp internal corners in machined parts. Cause everyone has EDM’s… 😳

PNWGATOR

WKR
Unsolvable problem…

Who knew.

Wish the engineers luck in their attempt to resolve these issues.

Billinsd

WKR
Tighten it until it cracks then go back a quarter turn.
Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

Always multiply the project cost by pi. That way, the budget is irrational.

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Anyone can build a bridge
It takes an engineer to build a bridge that just barely stands up

Billinsd

WKR

The Rokslide and engineers

A Rokslide poster asks a favor from an engineer, "Can you please go to Scheels and buy one dozen arrows, and if they have 6.5 Creedmoor cartridges get 5 dozen!”

The Engineer goes to Scheels and half an hour later he returns with 5 dozen arrows.

The poster stares at him and asks, "Why on earth did you get 5 dozen arrows?

"Well… they had 6.5 Creedmoor cartridges” he replied.

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
That little bit left beats having to buy 2 gallons and just barely getting into the second one…

I’d love to meet whoever located the oil filter on my 4th gen ram though….!!!

If it’s really bone dry it should take the full gallon. I find that the shape of the reservoir causes some airlock issues and if you tap it or jump up and down on the fender air will come out and make room for the rest. You could also insert a long piece of tubing as a vent as you pour.

Also the fluid volume should decrease by about 4% if you get it near freezing.

You can also just use the excess to wet a rag as you clean the mirrors and side windows.

The client is always wrong. Source: engineer Ford-owner.

I always think of guys that are wrapped around the axles with calibers and bullet ABCs akin to engineers.

Much like a young engineer will argue with a road contractor with 30 years of real world experience about what his calculator and equations say about how to do the job, those bullet/caliber guys that have never even seen a brown bear will argue for literally hours with a guy that has watched 30 of them killed about how it all works on his calculator.

ODB

WKR
It should be a prerequisite for engineers and architects to spend 5 years working ‘out in the field with the trades’ prior to thinking about designing anything.

100%. I know of a product recently released, intended to be installed at extreme heights (towers, etc) that uses a mix of standard and metric nuts of four different sizes - all four of which are on a single element of this device that is less that 3 feet long. Also using a mix of nyloc nuts, nut and flat washer only, and nut, flat and lock washer depending on the location. Not a user-friendly device...

Billinsd

WKR
I always think of guys that are wrapped around the axles with calibers and bullet ABCs akin to engineers.

Much like a young engineer will argue with a road contractor with 30 years of real world experience about what his calculator and equations say about how to do the job, those bullet/caliber guys that have never even seen a brown bear will argue for literally hours with a guy that has watched 30 of them killed about how it all works on his calculator.
I had a professor in college tell us all to learn from experienced treatment plant operators when designing treatment plants. He pined what a great mistake it is not to seek advise from these people. I’ve sought the advice of intelligent Contractors, some of which are extremely intelligent. It takes experience, maturity, and wisdom to successfully apply an engineering education to solve real life problems. I’ve always been eager to learn as much as I can from the great Contractors, Operators, and Vendors I’ve had the pleasure meeting. I strive to stay humble and prove myself by being clever, logical, rational, and generally right. I’m open to those much smarter than me, more experienced as well as less experienced and less smart, so long as they are logical and rational. Cheers Bill

Billinsd

WKR
It should be a prerequisite for engineers and architects to spend 5 years working ‘out in the field with the trades’ prior to thinking about designing anything.
At least 2 years is good. I started out in the office as a designer, however, I spent a lot of time in the field with my plans during design and then during construction with the resident engineers. I was VERY hands on, always have been. I really enjoyed design, unfortunately it only lasted for a few years, then project management, and finally grinding through construction management, struggling to get quality work, done correctly and safely, which has little engineering, and involves great strength of mind and will the last 20 or so years. The industry has gotten so ferocious, toxic, and hostile and POLITICAL.

Last edited: