Do I need a new rifle?

New to the forums and have gotten great advice on other gear thus far. I wanted to pick the brains of you all on a rifle situation that I feel more people fall victim of. I life in the midwest and mostly do slug gun deer hunting but bought some property with friends in MO and got my first rifle. I picked up a Tikka T3x superlite in 6.5 creedmoor and topped it with a Leupold VX5HD3-15. My buddy who does 2-3 big game hunts across the world every year made the suggestion of 6.5 creedmoor. Also, I am lefty so I went with Tikka for mainly that reason. I thought this would be my one gun does all and never need another rifle. I booked an aoudad hunt with that buddy in TX for October but the guide said he does not allow anything less than .30 cal. Well shoot, there goes my plans. I also have plans to do an elk hunt in the next two years out west.

Some options i have are:
1. Buy a new rifle, but again, left handed is limited. So, do I want to purchase another Tikka T3x 300 win mag?
2. My dad has a Browning BAR II autoloader in 300 win mag he used to take Elk hunting out west. I asked guide, and he doesn't allow them after a couple people didn't understand that these rifles, well, autoload.
3. My dad has a left handed bolt Weatherby Mark V Accumark 30-378. He also has two boxes of ammo (fortunately because they are $100/box). It is topped with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14. I could keep that scope or upgrade to a VX3 or something.

Any advice on those that do these hunts more frequently would be helpful. I would hate to spend money on a new rifle after I just bought one, but I also don't want to spend a fortune on ammo for a gun that could beat the tar out of my shoulder.

Just borrow a rifle. Guide may have something or it seems like you have lots of options. I would not put to much money into it for Aoudad.

Boy that outfitter is something else.
Was this clearly explained before you booked?
Honestly I'd tell the guy to shove it, ohh I met your 30 cal requirement but I cant use a Bar cause someone wasnt familiar with it once.
What exactly can you do then? Better line that out before you spend more money.
Guy sounds like an uppity a hole I wouldn't wanna hunt with.
If your dead set on hunting with him just borrow something.
I'd use the 30-378 put a brake on it and touch it off next to that jerk before he plugs his ears.

Honestly maybe switch off rifles with your friend.
Or another tikka in 30-06 or 300 is never a bad bet.
You can always resell it.

Wapiti1

WKR
While I am loath to tell you not to buy another rifle, I would not in this case. I'd tell him that is what you are bringing and let him make peace with it. If that is truly an issue, I'd get a refund.

His behavior, if he is that much of a curmudgeon about it, would put up too many red flags for me. I suspect he is less than fun to hunt with and I hunt for fun, so that's a deal breaker.

So, how many guys don't ask, and show up with oddball rifles such as a .270 Winchester, or 7mm Rem Mag? Does he not allow them to hunt? I seriously doubt it.

Jeremy

Borrow your dads rifle. Learn to shoot it in a lead sled, or at least wear a PAST shoulder pad to not develop a flinch. That’s a great caliber for elk for those who can shoot it.

In the long run you will need a new rifle, or more! They seem to reproduce in my gun cabinet!

Too bad a 28 Nosler won't work on that goat hunt! All good suggestions above... or grab a budget 30-06.

Fitzwho

WKR
He may have also have lost a lot of animals to sub .30 caliber guns. That should be a stipulation made known prior to booking though. I have a buddy that's a whitetail guide and cant stand the 6.5 Creedmoor, clients losing deer and having to get tracking dogs to come and maybe find them. I would not want to be trying to track a wounded aoudad through some of the country that they live in far west Texas. It can be hard enough just to get to where they fall when you do get one.

If you wanted a "one" rifle, you probably would have been better served with a 300 WSM. I run a Creedmoor for a lighter weight (7lb) rifle for deer, hogs, antelope. Anything on the larger side of that or not as worried about weight and my 300 WM (9lb) is on my shoulder.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
If your buddy is sold on that outfitter, I'd go with the 30-378. While overkill, with a break they arent bad to shoot, aside from the ammo bill...

OP
ryjack70ss
Great opinions. Thanks for all the advice. If there is more, I appreciate it especially for the future. I may end up having to pick up a new Tikka 300 win mag as the ammo prices on the 30-378 are scary. It does have a break on it, so hopefully it is not too punishing. So should I just plan on using 30-378 for my elk trip in two years too, or use the BAR autoloader 300 win mag, use my 6.5 creedmoor or buck up and purchase a new bolt 300 win mag?

I like guns, don't get me wrong, but I would rather be a great shot with one or two rifles than have many that I don't shoot often.

Only you can decide what to take. Put a lot (100s) of rounds through your 6.5 cm then go shoot your dads rifles. You will be able to tell which you like better.

it sounds like you haven’t shot very much. I wouldn’t go buy another rifle till you know exactly what you want. Only shooting and experience will tell you that. Also lugging a rifle on a hunt can change your mind of what you want.

Just borrow a lefty 30-06. Bunches out there. Ammo is inexpensive. Rem 700 ADL is also dirt cheap at around $400 new. Then never use that guide again.