Do I need a woodstove for Co 2nd Rifle?

How important is a wood stove for 2nd rifle in CO?

It's probably very dependent on how the weather that particular season is.
Do I need to plan to bring a wood stove? We both have decent 0 degree bags

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, even if you don’t used it, I wouldn’t not have one, weather changes rapidly

Dennis

WKR
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Propane heaters also work. Mornings can be cold and snow storms can leave you in camp all day sitting around.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
It’s pretty weather dependent but I always take mine regardless of the forecast.

Jethro

WKR
We hunted 2nd rifle in 2010 and burned the stove all night. Without it our water was freezing in the wall tent. In 2021 it wasn’t cold by CO Nov standards, but we fired it up evenings and mornings. Didn’t need it, but sure was nice. If you got one, take it.

If you are in a tent for 2nd rifle you will want a wood stove. Whether you are in a wall tent or a backpacking tent, some sort of wood stove will make a massive difference in comfort. Even if it won't burn through the whole night.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
2nd rifle is now what used to be 3rd rifle in timing. Yes......absolutely! I wouldn't hunt past September without a wood stove, but especially that late in the season. Dark comes early at that time, and there's a lot of downtime before bedtime. I need my warmth.

Poser

WKR
Some years you need it, some years you do not.

If you are backpacking in, I would consider the decision carefully since the weight, pack volume and time spent cutting wood all come at a significant cost.

It can certainly be done without a stove. I did 3rd season without any stove last year. Granted, our basecamp was at 6000ft. Though I was wishing I had a stove as it was down around 0 most nights.