Do you guys pay much attention to bullet lot numbers?

SDHNTR

WKR
I always try to, and usually buy in big bunches so this hasn’t been an issue for me, but I now need some new pills and it has me wondering how much lot difference matters in the real world with bullets. Of course I know lots of powder and brass can make for material changes, but…. If you’re buying a new lot of the exact same bullet and you’re measuring cbto to set jump the exact same, does it still even matter? And why? Changes in materials/alloys/jacket?

FYI I’m no Benchrest shooter…

WKR

WKR
I think it depends alot on the manufacturer and how far between lot number manufacturing dates. I've never noticed a significant change in poi using barnes or hammer bullets.

But I could see how say maybe a hornady or nosler could vary between lots with as much variation they have in tooling and materials sourcing. It would be interesting to ask one of the bigger manufacturers if any of their materials suppliers changed pre and post pandemic. That would have an effect for sure. I know for a fact that they do change powders on their factory loads based on what is currently available.

Dos XX

WKR
Bullets from a different lot number can be, but aren't always, off a different die. I have changed lots many times without issue. Sometimes the base to ogive dimension on the bullet is different, but if I was shooting the old lot .020 off, I would just seat the new one to where it was. 020 off. I have seen the diameter vary between lots in some Berger 200 Hybrids. I had one lot that was too fat to slide into a Hoover tipping die caliber sleeve. They were probably .0007 over caliber diameter. Berger replaced them, even though they said they were in spec.

I usually take the new lot and measure the BTO and diameter and compare to the old lot, adjust seating depth to get the jump I want and roll. I also might weigh 5 or 10 or them.

eoperator

WKR
Lot #'s matter if you seat .002 off jamb, bench rest or elr.

Seat them .025 or more and forget about lot #'s.

I haven’t found issues with reloading and bullet lot numbers, though I’ve heard of them especially with 147 eldms(who knows if that’s a real issue)

I have had issues with changing lot numbers with factory match ammo. That burned me this year

Honestly I hardly even check o give length anymore. I did it with some tmk loads recently and sorted them by length to o give into 3 seperate pools and shot them all together and they went into the same group ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I look to see if they match, but don't do anything with that information....
"Oh, neat, maybe I'll see continued consistency when I drop these rounds into the bucket with my already loaded ammo of the same lot number."

wapitibob

WKR
There is a .020” difference in Berger 195’s, both oal and base to ogive, between the yellow and orange boxes that I have on the bench.