Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Cot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Mtwood24

Lil-Rokslider
I was curious if you guys are using both a pad and cot, like a lightweight helinox, in tandem when you are packing in to hunt an area. It seems a little redundant to me, as the pad is supposed to be a barrier between you and the ground, and a cot gets up up off the ground anyways. Wondering if I should get both, or just 1 or the other. Thanks!

both because we pack in on horse. it's one of those sub 5lb Alps ready Lite cots that's about 6" off the ground... If I had to carry it on my back I'd just do the pad of course.

Pro tip: always check your pad & make sure there's no hole in it BEFORE you go into the back country for 10 days.. ask me how I know this

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Backpacking an insulated 3.5” BA AXL

BASECAMP, Big Man Cot +Exped Insilated 4” pad 30x78!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ecw

MTHokie

FNG
both because we pack in on horse. it's one of those sub 5lb Alps ready Lite cots that's about 6" off the ground... If I had to carry it on my back I'd just do the pad of course.

Pro tip: always check your pad & make sure there's no hole in it BEFORE you go into the back country for 10 days.. ask me how I know this
How do you know this?

^Fixed it for you. 😉
I had one but couldn't locate the leak.. it took a couple hours to go flat with me laying on it. I just pumped it up before going to bed & rolled with it. That was also about the same amount of time it took for our little wood stove to burn out.
When I got home I tried locating it in the bath tub & took a long time to find it then. It was the tiniest pinhole in the crease of the seam flap on the side. Very frustrating

I had one but couldn't locate the leak.. it took a couple hours to go flat with me laying on it. I just pumped it up before going to bed & rolled with it. That was also about the same amount of time it took for our little wood stove to burn out.
When I got home I tried locating it in the bath tub & took a long time to find it then. It was the tiniest pinhole in the crease of the seam flap on the side. Very frustrating
Been there, done that…

rcook10

WKR
I have limited experience with ultralight cots but they are absolutely incredible in hot weather. If you are a hot sleeper who suffers during the summer and early fall they are worth trying in my opinion.