Sleeping pad inside sleeping bag?

cnelk

WKR
How thick is your blue foam? Brand if specific?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its that standard blue foam pad you can get at Wally World, probably 1/2" thick.

Or just about anything that gives a thermal break between your body and the air core mattress. Its the air mattress that sucks the heat from you.

Big Agnes with a good pad is key. I tried it with their insulated pad and it wasn’t great. I’ve had my zero degree bag on an therma rest xtherm in temps below zero on some rifle hunts and it is comfortable.

I always use a bivy and put the pad in the bivy under my bag.one loses a lot of the insulative value of the bag when it's compressed under your weight anyway. To me the bivy is worth the wieght and space. Good luck

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Decades ago!

@Ucsdryder you need a quilt, but we can sew some straps on your sleeping bag cause I'm guessing you got it from Costco.
Pfft…I went to rei, ate some granola, licked some leaves, and bought a hippee hiker sleeping bag and a long handled spoon. Rei is a great place to people watch. I could spend all day there.

Don’t be a sleeping bag snob! And don’t hate on Costco. I love Costco. I’d buy my wife at Costco if they sold wives.

*zap*

WKR
Its that standard blue foam pad you can get at Wally World, probably 1/2" thick.

Or just about anything that gives a thermal break between your body and the air core mattress. Its the air mattress that sucks the heat from you.

why does the air core mattress suck the heat from your body? thanks.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Pfft…I went to rei, ate some granola, licked some leaves, and bought a hippee hiker sleeping bag and a long handled spoon. Rei is a great place to people watch. I could spend all day there.

Don’t be a sleeping bag snob! And don’t hate on Costco. I love Costco. I’d buy my wife at Costco if they sold wives.
Pretty sure my wife bought me at Costco… I feel like I live there, which isn’t a bad thing…

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anybody do it? I don’t care what my setup is, I end up on the ground and my pad next to me every single night. I just bought a new bag, a little larger mummy bag and I think my sleeping bad will fit. Strongly considering putting it in my bag!

The solution to your problem-

The 10° Light, XL is the most comfortable sleep system on the market. Every advantage of a quilt and sleeping bag in one, and you can’t roll off your pad.

just.mark

FNG
You really have to start paying attention to the R value when your talking about sleeping directly on a pad below 30degs. I am a fan of Big Agnes but it's a technical bag. A common mistake I see is buying a 0deg bag and then pairing it with a 40 degree pad and wondering why your cold. You really need a R value over 4 below 30 and over 5 for sleeping in the snow. I have many nights in a big Agnes bag below freezing in a hammock and have been toasty warm.

I used to buy the $200 plus pads but the problem with technical ultralight gear is that it's not as durable . Now I buy a cheaper air mattres and pair it with a foam pad that I also use for sitting.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have slept with a quilt around my pad and it worked okay but feels like your sleeping on a plastic bag.

I prefer to use an ultra lite bivy, currently using a borah. It keeps everything together. Provides some protection for your pad.

BBob

WKR
So I got one of those blue foam pads, cut it to fit my mummy bag and now I use that as a thermal break between me and the BA Insulated Air Core mattress.
I did exactly the same thing years ago when I used the BA Horse Thief bag. Basic old generic 3/8” ensolite camp pad. I found a Thermarest X Therm fit so I started using it instead. I’ve moved on to quilts now though.

Bluumoon

WKR
I carry an inflatable and also have a foam pad that I cut to fit inside my sleeping bag after a cold night in a BA 0 degree bag, I carry the foam pad to sit on when glassing anyway. Can't say one way or another yet about effectiveness, but it stays in place w me rolling around at night.

rbljack

WKR
I was on a WY elk hunt in my sawtooth floorless shelter and it snowed the day before we got there. Spent the first two days with my mat sliding all over the place on top of the snow along with the tyvek. It didnt help I was on uneven ground. Each night the pad would move down toward the bottom of the tent and off to one side or the other. Im a side sleeper and that doesnt help because i toss and turn back and forth. I ended up buying a bivy to wrap the sleep system into. I havent been on another hunt to verify it will work, but I think it should do the trick. there is a weight penalty, but I think it might be worth it for a better nights sleep.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried it yet, but I've been told to put silicone dots on your pad. When they dry, they're "sticky" rubber that grips your bag and stops you from sliding all over.
Sounds good in theory. And maybe worth a shot with your current set up.

Stalker69

WKR
Did it once in my zero degree bag… FROZE my ass off… ended up starting my hike 2 hours before sun up because I couldn’t stand it anymore and needed to warm up. I believe it got down to around 30 degrees that night.

My bag fits me normally but when I slipped my small pad in it was slightly tight around me. I thought it would be fine but I learned my lesson!
Why didn’t you take it out, and place it underneath the bag ( regular way). When you started getting cold ?

Why didn’t you take it out, and place it underneath the bag ( regular way). When you started getting cold ?
Figured my buddy sleepin next to me was in the same boat and it was just one of those nights where the temps REALLY dipped down. Wasn’t till the morning that I learned he was fine in his bag and I got to thinking about why I was the cold one.