• Straight

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm interested in finding out how many people shoot right vs left fletch in either offset or helical. Thanks for participating.

I might be wrong here (very likely), but aren't most strings twisted left? Hence most arrows will naturally want to move left. ABB strings might be twisted right, but with so many companies twisting left, why is most factory stuff either helical or offset right?

I know it probably doesn't make a difference in terms of accuracy, at hunting distances, but if your going to put a helical or offset on it anyway (talking factory here), why did the right helical or offset become so popular despite the way most strings want to move an arrow off the string.

My arrows clock right. My string is a Rogue which I believe is twisted right so thats probably why mine clock right.

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
Right fletch. That's the way I started and way too lazy to check it. Will probably do some playing either this winter or next to truly super tune my setups.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Left, with as much offset as I can get. Just started doing it after watching Levi Morgan talk about it.

Zac

WKR
Right, but I also try to purchase strings that clock right since the Firenock jig only allows right offset.

stonewall

WKR
I might be wrong here (very likely), but aren't most strings twisted left? Hence most arrows will naturally want to move left. ABB strings might be twisted right, but with so many companies twisting left, why is most factory stuff either helical or offset right?

I know it probably doesn't make a difference in terms of accuracy, at hunting distances, but if your going to put a helical or offset on it anyway (talking factory here), why did the right helical or offset become so popular despite the way most strings want to move an arrow off the string.
Paige Pearce made a vid refuting that fwiw. That said in my (very limited) experience the string twist has coincided with arrow rotation

on the poll. I voted right (my hunt bow). I’ll eventually fletch some left for it. My other bow is fletched left. Don’t shoot either we’ll. Ha

bigharge

WKR
Left on both my trad bows and compound.

So the answer is yes, please make a single left bevel broadhead in 200+ grain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Left on both my trad bows and compound.

So the answer is yes, please make a single left bevel broadhead in 200+ grain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are choices, grizzly Kodiak, tuffhead, grizzly stik.

Attachments

• 6D3C6FE8-3172-482B-98F9-17058990200C.png
    6D3C6FE8-3172-482B-98F9-17058990200C.png
    233.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 6279D984-2E26-46A1-843B-4057D4FD7A10.png
    6279D984-2E26-46A1-843B-4057D4FD7A10.png
    872.6 KB · Views: 24
  • D54EACFF-80A4-42AE-8923-254A96273561.png
    D54EACFF-80A4-42AE-8923-254A96273561.png
    416.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 04F8D58A-034A-41FA-8BB2-DB4F1D4956BD.png
    04F8D58A-034A-41FA-8BB2-DB4F1D4956BD.png
    605.2 KB · Views: 21
  • D9D4BDED-998E-4BDA-8A10-9F5FB0D8AC43.png
    D9D4BDED-998E-4BDA-8A10-9F5FB0D8AC43.png
    816.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 829A9E94-FAA8-4989-88BC-4D41DE4F9DB5.png
    829A9E94-FAA8-4989-88BC-4D41DE4F9DB5.png
    623.1 KB · Views: 22

Rrush

FNG
Paige Pearce made a vid refuting that fwiw. That said in my (very limited) experience the string twist has coincided with arrow rotation

on the poll. I voted right (my hunt bow). I’ll eventually fletch some left for it. My other bow is fletched left. Don’t shoot either we’ll. Ha
The only way I can imagine the string twist affecting arrow rotation is the instant the nock is coming off the string and it adds a twist to the flight. No idea though. I don’t think it makes any difference what the arrows natural tendency is long as you’re adding a good stabilizing rotation to it. Overcoming its original tendencies won’t destabilize. I’d love to see someone test this theory but I bet all else being equal left and right group the same.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
Always been a right helical guy but after getting down a rabbit hole and enjoying the tinkering I tested various arrows and all my bows naturally rotated left. I trust Mrs Paige and believe her when she tested hers. When I get ready to fletch my new RIPs I’ll test all 20 to confirm. I often hear the comment about left rotation will loosen the heads. My FP have o rings and stay good and tight always. As far as broadheads go I think the mass of a critter is so short that it’s likely a moot point. I cannot see the broadhead
/arrow making 5 revolutions to unscrew the head. That’s just my opinion but every man needs to do what makes him feel comfortable with his equipment regardless of the consensus.

Always been a right helical guy but after getting down a rabbit hole and enjoying the tinkering I tested various arrows and all my bows naturally rotated left. I trust Mrs Paige and believe her when she tested hers. When I get ready to fletch my new RIPs I’ll test all 20 to confirm. I often hear the comment about left rotation will loosen the heads. My FP have o rings and stay good and tight always. As far as broadheads go I think the mass of a critter is so short that it’s likely a moot point. I cannot see the broadhead
/arrow making 5 revolutions to unscrew the head. That’s just my opinion but every man needs to do what makes him feel comfortable with his equipment regardless of the consensus.

Interesting points above. I was concerned with the same issues when I started fletching left 2 years ago. FWIW, here is my experience...

Field points have not loosened anymore than they did with right fletch
Field points with o-rings pretty much eliminated any loosening effect due to left rotation
Broadheads have not loosened with left rotation (no o-ring or thread locker)
Components DID loosen with left rotation (specifically, insert screws and brass weights in the Black Eagle FOCOS system
I used low strength thread locker (Loctite 222 - Purple) on the components and have not had any issues since

I like the FOCOS system and plan to keep using it. Arrows fly great and it's worth the extra step, once I committed to my final arrow weight.

This is with GAS Ghost strings. They have been good so far. However, the possibility of different strings and different rotation in the future influenced my fletching jig decision. The cost is painful up front, but I feel like the Vane Master Pro has me covered for any fletching changes down the road. I like to tinker in the off-season and enjoy trying to get the most performance out of my gear, even if the improvements are small. Hopefully the investment in time and $ is worth it.

Since it has come up, I'll just say I have shot strings with CW and CCW twist, my arrows have all gone CCW (Left rotation). I think it has more to do with your release but I don't know.

I also wonder if from a forgiveness stand point if you aren't better to fletch opposite the rotation. If you are counting on the parachute effect of the vanes/feathers for correction, that would happen faster if it is counter the direction the arrow naturally wants to go.