Does anyone else feel swimming is overlooked?

Poser

WKR
Surfing is one of the things I do to stay fit and enjoy life. Takes an ocean, though, so I would guess swimming could be good too. But I cannot imagine a method of swimming that keeps the heart rate or intensity I achieve for long periods while surfing. Even if there is a way, can't imagine doing it voluntarily, whereas while surfing we tend to be anxious to utterly tax our upper body and cardio.

Paddling out on a surfboard can be tough, especially against the tide and with lateral currents as You’re definitely at a mechanical disadvantage, not to mention dealing with breaking waves. I don’t live anywhere near the ocean (people do river surf around here during the spring melt off), but I do go on a surf trip every so often with a group of friends and it can be a total ass kicker certain years. Like anything else, you adapt to it and get good at it if you do it enough, but it can be so frustrating and physical fighting harsh conditions

I’d also add that “surfing”, much like “skiing” can mean a wide range of things depending on how, when and where you do it. Could be the most mellow, relaxed thing ever, or could be the most intense and surreal life experience you’ll ever have. Certainly, though, you need to be some kind of reasonably good swimmer in order to be a surfer.

Paddling out on a surfboard can be tough, especially against the tide and with lateral currents as You’re definitely at a mechanical disadvantage, not to mention dealing with breaking waves. I don’t live anywhere near the ocean (people do river surf around here during the spring melt off), but I do go on a surf trip every so often with a group of friends and it can be a total ass kicker certain years. Like anything else, you adapt to it and get good at it if you do it enough, but it can be so frustrating and physical fighting harsh conditions

I’d also add that “surfing”, much like “skiing” can mean a wide range of things depending on how, when and where you do it. Could be the most mellow, relaxed thing ever, or could be the most intense and surreal life experience you’ll ever have. Certainly, though, you need to be some kind of reasonably good swimmer in order to be a surfer.

Yes, people who haven't done it are often shocked by the physical requirements, especially in any but the calmest of seas. Essentially you need to be a "waterman" to be a good surfer in tough conditions, and that means good fitness.

Australia in 1999 and 2004
Whale beach Australia Big.jpg

Bells Beach 2004Aussie 2004.jpg

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Can we take this to the extreme and say that all human movement is pulling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Initial thoughts:

Not anymore than we could make the case for all human movements as being “pushing” since most any multi joint movement is going to require some involvement of both pulling and pushing muscles even though it’s likley more dominate one way or the other since there is that whole gravity situation to contend with

Even if yours standing still, you’re pushing against the ground to resist gravity and there is also some gravity resisting pulling going on to keep you upright and Even if you bend over to pick up a 1,000 lbs stone, you’re still pushing against the ground.

I’m referring to the idea that muscles only pull, never push. That’s why triceps do the work of straightening your arm. Not biceps.

Poser

WKR
I’m referring to the idea that muscles only pull, never push. That’s why triceps do the work of straightening your arm. Not biceps.

I think I see what you’re saying: certain muscles contract in order to push (tricep for example) so they are in fact pulling?

WKR
Swimming is highly skill dependent, and doesn't translate well to land based weight bearing activity.

Running in the water seems like a good option for impact intolerant bodies and as an aerobic training modality.

It won't build strength for the vast majority, but can certainly be useful in conditioning.

WKR
Muscles neither pull nor push, they contract/relax, of which the contraction can be concentric or eccentric...

WKR
I classify as 5 human movement patterns:

Hinge
Squat
Push
Pull
Trunk

The push and pull have vertical and horizontal subcategories. Trunk, midline, "core" is mostly about linking upper quadrant and lower quadrant power/movement with enough stiffness to prevent power leakage and/or spine/back injuries. This certainly happens with most well performed functional exercises, but I feel that plank variations combined with breath awareness, and spine sparing movement drills, are worth doing on their own.

I'd claim that there are basically 6 resistance training categories, maybe 8 if you break out horizontal and vertical push/pull

1. Hinge: kb swing, deadlift, etc.
2. Squat: goblet, barbell, single leg
3. Push: pressing (overhead, bench, etc.)
4. Pull: pull up, rows, etc.
5. Trunk: Plank variations to include all elements of stability, including diaphragm and pelvic floor.
6. Carries: They're sort of linked to several categories but feel they're important enough to give their own spotlight. We use OH carries, front rack, suitcase, waiter, farmer variations frequently.

Lunge is another one people will sometimes include... Others might include a twist/rotation category...

WKR
If a child drops that same fly swatter they squat to pick it up, like your supposed to

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yes, if you have the limb, trunk, and skull proportions of a child, then by all means... But most adults have vastly different proportions than a child, so...

amassi

WKR
Yes, if you have the limb, trunk, and skull proportions of a child, then by all means... But most adults have vastly different proportions than a child, so...
False
Most american adults cannot squat down, so they bend over.
Look at countries in asia where they squat to sit or relax but dont use high chairs, very few orthopedic procedures done on the knees, back, hips et el.

WKR
False
Most american adults cannot squat down, so they bend over.
Look at countries in asia where they squat to sit or relax but dont use high chairs, very few orthopedic procedures done on the knees, back, hips et el.

Are you arguing that adults and children have similar limb proportions and weight distributions?

Asians also have a significantly different hip/pelvis structure than most average Americans... And they tend to be lighter/smaller, have less sedentary lifestyles, likely less traumatic forms of sport/recreation, etc...

Regardless, moving like a child requires child like proportions and isn't reasonable for most adults.

...and there's no "right way" or "supposed to" about picking up a flyswatter. The human body is very capable of adapting and combining movement patterns into many different strategies that can all be "correct" depending on load parameters and protection strategies.

*zap*

WKR
I would imagine quite a few guys that are squatting some weight cannot do a bodyweight squat ass to grass with proper form. But, maybe I am mistaken....

amassi

WKR
Are you arguing that adults and children have similar limb proportions and weight distributions?

Asians also have a significantly different hip/pelvis structure than most average Americans... And they tend to be lighter/smaller, have less sedentary lifestyles, likely less traumatic forms of sport/recreation, etc...

Regardless, moving like a child requires child like proportions and isn't reasonable for most adults.

...and there's no "right way" or "supposed to" about picking up a flyswatter. The human body is very capable of adapting and combining movement patterns into many different strategies that can all be "correct" depending on load parameters and protection strategies.
Not arguing at all
Only pointing out how your pelvis and spine works
Bend over to pick shit up I dont gaf

WKR
Not arguing at all
Only pointing out how your pelvis and spine works
Bend over to pick shit up I dont gaf

I don't think you've pointed out anything at all how the pelvis and spine function. Just some poorly correlated red herring regarding Asian populations...

Doc7

FNG
If you want to bang your wife in a suspension hammock and make the case for cross training, then by all means do so.
I am going to forward this thread to my wife so she understands my new exercise program.

If I squat down to pick something up, I squat on my toes and lean forward. This way I can reach farther in front of me and come up faster. Totally wrong fundamentals for lifting, but more practical for getting work done.