Does this cross your mind?

You're up in your elk spots in August, or say a week or two prior to the season, and it's a ghost town, I mean empty, not a soul. You in sit in your camping spot no atvs or trucks passing by, no headlights off in the distance, just quiet. Ears ringing. You wake up in the AM, same thing, have coffee a bachelor herd of mule deer are watching you, maybe a herd of elk feeding back into the trees, and you say to yourself..............

"If we could hunt right now, we'd be done in two days"

ElkNut1

WKR
Can't say that I have! But I certainly understand your point! Good luck this year!

ElkNut

KHNC

WKR
I've been E-scouting trying to find your spot. Hopefully its full of elk mid september.

And then opener comes and it’s lifted diesel trucks and quads running everywhere and we all wonder why the deer and elk we scouted all summer aren’t out lollygagging around in big open meadows anymore. Then a week later everybody goes home, the woods become quiet again and the animals calm and start acting normal again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
And then opener comes and it’s lifted diesel trucks and quads running everywhere and we all wonder why the deer and elk we scouted all summer aren’t out lollygagging around in big open meadows anymore. Then a week later everybody goes home, the woods become quiet again and the animals calm and start acting normal again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pressure in my main area doesn’t stop until 4th rifles closes, it’s heavy.

Maverick1

WKR
Nope. The closest thing to that is I mostly bow hunt. And I “used to” see animals far off in the distance and think “that animal would be dead if I had a rifle”…….that was a couple of decades ago, when I was 12 years old and first starting out. Now I am experienced and find myself in the right spot more often than not. And I don't really do much scouting right before the season now, unless it’s a premium tag, in which case I am happy to find areas without elk. Because that means I can cross an area or two off my list of spots to check out. Which is a good thing!

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
This morning I found myself 50 yards from a bull elk…and all I had was a turkey tag. “If only I had been in this situation in October.”

Between May and August the elk have no fear of me, my tractor or even my dog. To push them, I have walk them a mile or two from my field. They will stand and stare at me till I get within 40 yds of them. Often I have to spread the piles of elk poop in the lawn before mowing.

However when I start to cut hay they clear out except for midnight visitors. Then they come to do combat with the bales.

By early sept they pull out and the search is on. The local idiots show up and bugle from the road with their diesels running. They can't seem to to understand the concept of summer range vs winter range.

A couple years ago we had to stay until the day after season closed.
Everyone else had pulled the day before.
Hadn't seen a single doe in 2 weeks along the road.
Well the day after season on the way out we saw a couple.
She just looked at us like no NO everyone is gone. This is our week break.