Does this exist?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I don't know much about tents/sleep systems, I have been using a 20 yr old Eureka hand me down for as long as I can remember and a Coleman sleeping bag.....

I have been looking into various options and I really like the look of some of what kifaru offers i.e. their sawtooth, especially being able to use a stove which is something I am very interested in. I don't like that there is no floor however... doesn't gear get soaked/gross?

Is there a tent that exists which has a floor, and can accommodate a small woodstove. It would need to be able to sleep 3 (2 + dog). The lighter the better but I know I am kindof asking for the world with that, especially since I want a stove. No real price range but not looking for something the size of a cabelas alaknak or full blown wall tent. Compact + stove is ideal.

Realistic temp ranges it will be used in are -10c -- +10c --- Fahrenheit 14-50 degrees.

also if someone with lots of sleeping bag/pad experience wants to chime in, I am also in the market for a packable down bag and a pad with warmth being the biggest priority. Again, no real budget.

Mike.

Nothing with a full floor that I can think of. A ground cloth of some type under your pad or a cot. I think a full floor would be a fire hazard.

For the pad, lots of good options. I have a Thermarest NeoAir Xlite. The XTherm is a bit heavier/pricier but warmer as well.

LBFowler

WKR
Tentipi has range of various floors, usually the floor has a zipper flap that peels back for the stove:
http://tentipi.com/floors,en-gb

Seek Outside offers some half floor options as well as floor/net combos (stove goes in the other half):
https://store.seekoutside.com/6-person-tipi/

There is a custom builder who's name escapes me that makes tipis with sewn-in floors, he uses stove-jack fabric under the stove.

some wall tents have floors with zipper "hatches" that open up under the stove.

Floors in tents suck. you can put a ground sheet anywhere in a floorless tent, and there are lots of bath-tub floored "nests" from several different companies, but a full floor in a tent is just a giant hassle.

as for pads, second vote for the Xtherm, exped mats are also popular for the warmer end of things (down and synthetic insulated).

Lots of good bag options, Kelty down on the budget end, Enlightened Equipment as a solid but not crazy expensive option, and Western Mountaineering at the high end. Plenty of other good brands out there too.

oldgoat

WKR
There's numerous posts on here about flooorless shelters, set up in the right spot, they are actually better than a floored shelter for not getting gross. Set up in the wrong place it doesn't matter which type you have. I do carry a tyvek tarp 6x9 to stand on getting dressed etc. I will caveat this with geography matters, western Washington type locals equals floored shelter every day in my opinion for whatever that's worth

Last edited:
If we're not talking about backpack tents, some options might be:
Kodiak/Springbow
Beckel Eena TT (I have the 14x14)
Sportsmans Guide tipi
Canvas & Nylon Miners tents
Seek Outside Cimarron

I know you said you wanted a floor, but honestly not having a floor is a plus IMO.

Also the nylon tents like the Alakanak can have condensation issues in wet snowy conditions. I spent 10 days in one this past elk season and had water dripping on me during the night. It is really important to stomp your boots off before entering so as to minimize snow getting tracked in.... which melts an produces condensation.

Canvas is breathable and condensation is not an issue.
So for that reason I really like my Beckel eena TT.
Hunt'nFish

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
To be honest ive never been in a floorless tent, the concept just seemed kind of strange. I can see the plus sides you raise though. Thanks all for the input, I have some research ahead of me.

Every tent design has its place.
The full floor & netting tents are great for excaping the bugs and sqeeters. While floorless tipi's are lighter per sq foot, stove friendly & great for wetter conditions, they are a bit warm during summer because of restricted air flow.

Honestly no one tent is ideal for every season, each shines under different season and conditions.

For me weight plays a big role in decision making.
Sometimes weight isn't an issue, other times it is.
As does price. I use a lot of cheap gear... read that as frugal gear. Price/performance ratio rates high with me.
Buying quality 2nd/3rd hand gear in good serviceable shape helps decrease the price portion of that ratio.
Be an opprotunity buyer. Look to the classifieds here.
Hunt'nFish

Every tent design has its place.
The full floor & netting tents are great for excaping the bugs and sqeeters. While floorless tipi's are lighter per sq foot, stove friendly & great for wetter conditions, they are a bit warm during summer because of restricted air flow.

Honestly no one tent is ideal for every season, each shines under different season and conditions.

For me weight plays a big role in decision making.
Sometimes weight isn't an issue, other times it is.
As does price. I use a lot of cheap gear... read that as frugal gear. Price/performance ratio rates high with me.
Buying quality 2nd/3rd hand gear in good serviceable shape helps decrease the price portion of that ratio.
Be an opprotunity buyer. Look to the classifieds here.
Hunt'nFish

^^^^^^What hunt'nfish said exactly.

jmden

WKR
There is a company that builds these tipis where the design in modular. In other words, you can have a floorless outer wall or two different types of complete zip-in/clip-in inner wall floor combos or just a clip in floor. Comes close to pretty much fitting any scenario with it 'modularity'.