Dog training books

I have a new puppy coming my way next month. Can anyone recommend books for general obedience, and bird dog training?

We took our lab to a trainer/class that works with the dog a little and the owners the rest of the time. From the very first time he took hold of her leash I swear they could read each other’s minds, our dog followed him throughout a course he had set up like she had done it a million times. Without ever saying a word, he led our dog around with the leash and one finger, simply amazing. I thought I knew something about dogs, because I have had good dogs I trained before this one, I found out I actually didn’t know anything. Its weird he told us you are training the dog to do what you want or the dog is training you to do what it wants. Seeing people interact with their dogs..other dogs etc, he’s right almost no one has simple obedience training down, especially when they are interacting with other people and dogs.

Last edited:

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a new puppy coming my way next month. Can anyone recommend books for general obedience, and bird dog training?

The only one… Gun Dog

By Richard Woolters(sp?)

Has other books too, Family Dog, Water Dog. Excellent principles that are scientifically backed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm getting a wirehaired pointing griffon

8bf46795328636efa17f10d60a9dffd8.jpg

Picked up my sons German Wirehair Pointer, yesterday!

KurtR

WKR
The only one… Gun Dog

By Richard Woolters(sp?)

Has other books too, Family Dog, Water Dog. Excellent principles that are scientifically backed

When it came out it was good but there are much more comprehensive and better programs for the amateur trainer today. You have to remember he was a writer first and a dog trainer second.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Water Dog, Family Dog, or Game Dog depending on the breed.

by Richard Walters fwtw.

Dave
Game Dog is what I used for my pub. He has finally come into his own on the water and is going to be a good pup.

Todd, our editor here at Eastmans' is documenting his work with his new Pup Hondo working through Barton Ramsey's system. It's some pretty legit stuff.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Perfect Start/ Perfect Finish DVD by Jon and Cindy Hann PerfectionKennels.

Reading stuff..Training the Vesatile Hunting Dog, How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves...and the old school hard core The Drahthaar Puppy Manual. Tri-tronics Retriever Training book by Dobbs makes fetching water stuff pretty easy.-WW

I am no pro, but have trained a few gun dogs over the years. Forget Richard Wolters. Tried his stuff and quickly discarded his books. The Germans have gun dog training down. I would recommend “The Training and Care of the Versatile Hunting Dog”. Efficient, no fluff and most importantly, very effective and easy to understand. The book has been around for many years, remaining popular for a reason: It provides reliable reproducible results. What it teaches has been standard with many of the dog trainers I knew. If you can follow directions you will get results. Your dog will reach his potential.