Domestic dog / coyote interactions?

tops911

FNG
I live out in the western plains and have never seen a pack of coyotes, it the packing an eastern coyote thing? I've seen plenty of single coyotes. Are the packs family's and the pups have not went out on their own yet?

bachunt

FNG
Was out hunting hogs when a pack jumped a duck hunter's dog a few weeks. They're getting bolder here in Texas, I've seen them go after dogs in suburban neighborhoods as well.

TheGDog

WKR
1 will tease your dog into pursuing it... then.. that 1 will lead your dog right past his other two buddies lying waiting in ambush, then it's all over for your dog.

DOMMA

FNG
Sounds like old wives tales to me. All my knowledge of interactions with any kind of working breed involves coyotes having a bad time. Even smallish terrier mix breeds hold their own. Hounds thrash them, even 1x1.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Depends on where you live as coyote sizes vary I lived in upstate NY, where we killed several coyotes that weighed 60+lbs. I live in MD now where they weigh 30 lbs.

I live 3 miles from the heart of Dallas and we are covered up with coyotes next to White Rock Lake. My in-laws had their Boston terrier attacked and had to be put down. Their neighbor lost a pup as well. I live in a dead end subdivision and had one come streaking out at 2am when I came home-- nothing in his mouth though.

Early one morning I was running my male GSP in a native field near the lake. He was just out of sight and started a bark/yelp that he will do when he knows he is on something he shouldn't be. I recalled him and saw another 'dog' behind him. It was a large yote and they were 'playing' doing the running loops and crossing each other. That's when my other dog, who was on leash, went bananas...

I turned to my right and two more yotes were sneaking in down the edge of the field only 60 ft away. No doubt they were packed up and trying to lure him into the woodline. I'm confident that he would hold his own against a single yote but not 3.... They didn't surround us but they weren't shy and ended up getting the GSP back on leash and the yotes just sat, 3 in a row and watched.

Dallas County Game Warden didn't have many options or ideas....

I live 3 miles from the heart of Dallas and we are covered up with coyotes next to White Rock Lake. My in-laws had their Boston terrier attacked and had to be put down. Their neighbor lost a pup as well. I live in a dead end subdivision and had one come streaking out at 2am when I came home-- nothing in his mouth though.

Early one morning I was running my male GSP in a native field near the lake. He was just out of sight and started a bark/yelp that he will do when he knows he is on something he shouldn't be. I recalled him and saw another 'dog' behind him. It was a large yote and they were 'playing' doing the running loops and crossing each other. That's when my other dog, who was on leash, went bananas...

I turned to my right and two more yotes were sneaking in down the edge of the field only 60 ft away. No doubt they were packed up and trying to lure him into the woodline. I'm confident that he would hold his own against a single yote but not 3.... They didn't surround us but they weren't shy and ended up getting the GSP back on leash and the yotes just sat, 3 in a row and watched.

Dallas County Game Warden didn't have many options or ideas....
In NM they don't care if song dogs go after pets, but if they touch livestock they'll put them down. Weird world.