Don't believe everything you see in Instagram etc(poaching)

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak for myself and the people I associate with but generally it appears that most feel that he has got away with it and he generally should be rejected by the rest of the hunting community.

Unfortunately, there is a significant number of people in Australia that consider themselves "hunters" that have a very short term approach to hunting and behave accordingly. Activities including poaching, trespassing, spotlighting etc are often seen as acceptable methods of take. This aspect of the shooting community probably see nothing wrong with the way this has all played out.

Sadly, we have a bit of a track record of very weak punishment for hunting and game management offences in Australia.

It seems like most hunters that are serious hunters are feeling the same as you. I am sure it is hard to get a judge to take it seriously with how wildlife is there compared to here in the states.

I am interested to see if his US sponsors do anything at all.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not likely after all it's just a pest he was actually doing everyone a favor

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I never said or intended that a deer couldn't be classified as a pest. I also stated if someone familiar with that countries ways were to correct me, I would change my opinion on how the animal is viewed.

Poaching isn't just shooting an animal without the qualifying license/tag but also shooting an animal that is illegal to shoot WHERE you are hunting.

Yeah but I’ve never heard of anyone poaching a coyote, if someone did would you be for them losing all hunting rights for a period of time?

I guess it would be poaching if you were trespassing?

tdhanses

WKR
I can only speak for myself and the people I associate with but generally it appears that most feel that he has got away with it and he generally should be rejected by the rest of the hunting community.

Unfortunately, there is a significant number of people in Australia that consider themselves "hunters" that have a very short term approach to hunting and behave accordingly. Activities including poaching, trespassing, spotlighting etc are often seen as acceptable methods of take. This aspect of the shooting community probably see nothing wrong with the way this has all played out.

Sadly, we have a bit of a track record of very weak punishment for hunting and game management offences in Australia.

Thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If was against the law to shoot a coyote would you still feel justified because it was "just" a coyote?
Just asking for a friend.

stonewall

WKR
i did a little yard work and pondered on this some more...

I'd say this comes down to character, however major or minor the offense. I'd say most game wardens here tend to be more lenient on those who self report as opposed to those who try to get away with something. It's safe to say he knows the boundaries and thus should have called the appropriate authorities. perhaps we don't all agree on that, but that's how i feel about it

and to share a more humorous example - and someone can fact check me. and sorry to name drop, but it's positive, so hopefully they are ok with it? I remember a gritty podcast (maybe the co elk hunt, that first season aron shot trad) where brian and aron talked about shooting (and eating) a squirrel. they later learned they shot that squirrel (similar animal to a gopher) out of season. they called game and fish and self reported. and as there was no carcass to confiscate, that was the end of it. i'd call the appropriate self reporting, even for something as minor (perhaps) as a rodent

It seems that it would be useful to know how far into the park the carcass was found. The article is fairly light on information and really leaves it open to speculation.

He was either on his or his neighbors property when he shot the deer and tracked it into the park. Then, finished the animal off and got some sweet pictures for the 'likes'.

Or,

He reasoned that he could push the boundary a bit with no likely repercussions and still get the 'likes'.

Either way, I find it difficult to believe he didn't know what side of the line he was on. It is too easy to use highly accurate gps mapping and when you're close to the border, you know. Anyone who hunts the edges has inadvertently left the property they started on. It's what you do when you realize that matters. The pull of the chase is strong and some can't say 'no'.

Posting pictures of an animal with a background that can identify you as being on ground where you do not belong is idiotic. That is baffling. The same thing happened with some CPW employees and a big bull a few years ago. They trespassed, killed an elk, and posted pictures of it. The carcass was found and they were convicted.

Unfortunately, the jackwagons that poached two bulls in Rocky Mountain National Park, and another up the Poudre Canyon, don't seem to have done the same.

Back to Greentree... If he did shoot the animal legally and had to pursue it into the park, I see no problem with that. Illegal but morally sound. I know that I would be bummed if I lost an animal to an invisible line. It's easy to armchair quarterback that one...

If he shot from private property into the park boundaries, that is more challenging to forgive.

If he trespassed first, and intentionally, that's greed. I see little possiblity that if he (and anyone else) did trespass it was unintentional.

As far as I can tell, there is not enough information to make a judgement call as an outsider.

Also, I don't think it matters what animal it was. Mouse, coyote, deer, whatever. If it's out of bounds, it's off limits.

That's my take.

Yeah but I’ve never heard of anyone poaching a coyote, if someone did would you be for them losing all hunting rights for a period of time?

I guess it would be poaching if you were trespassing?
Are you saying that if a guy trespasses on some private and shoots a big buck or bull it's not poaching? You do realize that under those circumstances the violater is charged with poaching and his animal is confiscated. They also lose privileges and pay fines the same as someone who shoots a deer or elk out of season.

I had to reread the article to see what exactly the charges were that he plead guilty to.

1. Possessing a compound bow in the park.

2. Hunting/killing the deer in the park.

It was noted that he plead guilty to the second based on not being able to prove where be shot from. It does not say it was proven that he shot from within the park. The first charge seems to have been uncontested.

I've seen what I presume to be his property in a video with Hanes. It looks like it would be tough to identify an unfenced boundary, but you still need to know or err to caution.

I would be curious to see the condition of the boundary in that area and to know how far into the park was the carcass. Also, the size of the deer, just for grins...

I'm inclined to think the dude probably knew what he was doing. But maybe not...

I am a little wishy washy on the poaching vs trespassing issue.

Both are poor character choices.

But I don't necessarily think that one constitutes the other.

One can poach on property they are entitled to enter. Likewise, one may enter property without entitlement while conducting an otherwise legal activity.

There was a story of a guy who shot (or recovered?) a bull on private property in Montana (?) on here a few months ago. The guy was legally hunting with the proper tags but the animal died on the wrong side of the line. That's not my idea of a poacher.

It's easy to draw black and white lines but it's harder to make out shades of grey.

One of my favorite quotes is found in every issue of Bugle on the header of the 'Situation Ethics' section:

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than that of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact." -Aldo Leopold

It sounds to me like he shot an animal either on the park or on property that he was allowed to hunt that boarders the park. He was not able to prove the shot location and neither was the court.

The animal however died on the park and he tracked it with his bow taking pictures of the animal. The picture and the carcass was proof that he trespassed with his bow. That is what he plead guilty of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Are you saying that if a guy trespasses on some private and shoots a big buck or bull it's not poaching? You do realize that under those circumstances the violater is charged with poaching and his animal is confiscated. They also lose privileges and pay fines the same as someone who shoots a deer or elk out of season.

No not at all, I’m just saying I’ve never heard of anyone being charge or having the internet world come down on them for shooting a coyote in an illegal manner, from a truck, across roads or trespassing. That’s all, as I understand it there is no tag and the deer is considered a pest animal.

Most get a trespassing fine if that, or some other small fine.

tdhanses

WKR
If was against the law to shoot a coyote would you still feel justified because it was "just" a coyote?
Just asking for a friend.

Exactly, I bet there are a few that have broke the law just to shoot that coyote. I know I’ve seen a few and have had a few people shoot them from a road into our property.

tdhanses

WKR
Ask tinesup how trespassing and shooting big bucks worked out in Colorado

I think the difference is your comparing managed hunting vs open season no tag. Again maybe I missed it and he needed to get a tag, or was it open season kill as many as you can we want rid of these pests?

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
Ask tinesup how trespassing and shooting big bucks worked out in Colorado

You'll probably get a message shortly telling you to take your post down. Haha Everytime I've seen anyone posting about that whole deal they get real pissy about it.

You'll probably get a message shortly telling you to take your post down. Haha Everytime I've seen anyone posting about that whole deal they get real pissy about it.

I’ve never even heard of tines up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk