Don't believe everything you see in Instagram etc(poaching)

ozyclint

WKR
there's one part of the story that makes no sense to me- after pulling the SOS button (an official rescue) the rescue authorities drop him at a 'private property station' to recover? or are we just not told that he first went to hospital for observation for hypothermia or injuries which i can't believe wouldn't be the case.

at least with the story told it sounds like he got cold and wet and opted for the station chopper or chopper company ride out of an uncomfortable situation. would hate to be uncomfortable in the backcountry.

the self filmed ordeal will tell the story......i mean, if you can self film a bear charge.............

Mtrain

FNG
Re the poaching thing. I’m new to this hunting thing and would say I come from a conservation background. I have hiked, climbed and camped all my life and worked as a guide taking people climbing and hiking. It has been interesting learning about the hunting ethics both here in oz and in the states and the evolution of the US conservation system. In Australia it is a bloody mess.
The Australian continent is far less productive than the US ecosystems and has been separated from Europe etc for a long time and has far fewer native herbivores.
Deer are an introduced species which were released by the “Acclimatisation society” around the mid 1800s. This was because the British settlers wanted to make Australia more like home.
It is illegal to hunt any of our native animals with a bow and with a gun you can only do it if you have a cull permit to protect crops. So all hunting in oz is of feral species such as pigs, deer, goats, camels, buffalo, cats, etc.
However we also have a problem with the legislation in that some feral animals are classified as game species and some are classified as pests.
The problem is that there are different rules regarding hunting depending on what classification a species is given.
Feral cats (like your cute house cat) are a huge problem in Australia an as such we’re recently classified as a pest species. The problem is that pest species have to be controlled as part of an eradication program which actually meant that you were no longer allowed to hunt them when you happen to see one in state forest etc.
It is similar with Deer. They are becoming a real problem as the population is increasing massively and there are estimates getting up around 1 million in Victoria. The government are dragging their heels trying to work out what to do and the problem is increasingly out of control.
In Victoria there are some large areas of National park where you are allowed to hunt deer but most others you are not. Most other states in the country you are not allowed to hunt on any public land so the control of these species is limited.
Recently in Victoria and New South Wales the government have been spending large amounts of money trying helicopter shooting of deer to try and control the exploding population yet the general population are not allowed to hunt them.
I guess re the Greentree thing I can see both sides. It sounds like maybe the info coming from his social media may be a little questionable, I don’t really follow that stuff and National parks are there to protect the place from human impact. I also know that as someone who loves the natural environment and values our national parks but also has the urge to hunt for my own meat seeing the inconsistencies and ineffectiveness of the protections with regard to deer etc is extremely frustrating. As such I understand the feeling of wanting to go get them deer in the National park.
Sorry for the rant but I thought some may be interested in some background on the deer hunting situation in Australia. I have found it fascinating learning about the way the conservation system in the US came about and the differences here in oz.

Re the poaching thing. I’m new to this hunting thing and would say I come from a conservation background. I have hiked, climbed and camped all my life and worked as a guide taking people climbing and hiking. It has been interesting learning about the hunting ethics both here in oz and in the states and the evolution of the US conservation system. In Australia it is a bloody mess.
The Australian continent is far less productive than the US ecosystems and has been separated from Europe etc for a long time and has far fewer native herbivores.
Deer are an introduced species which were released by the “Acclimatisation society” around the mid 1800s. This was because the British settlers wanted to make Australia more like home.
It is illegal to hunt any of our native animals with a bow and with a gun you can only do it if you have a cull permit to protect crops. So all hunting in oz is of feral species such as pigs, deer, goats, camels, buffalo, cats, etc.
However we also have a problem with the legislation in that some feral animals are classified as game species and some are classified as pests.
The problem is that there are different rules regarding hunting depending on what classification a species is given.
Feral cats (like your cute house cat) are a huge problem in Australia an as such we’re recently classified as a pest species. The problem is that pest species have to be controlled as part of an eradication program which actually meant that you were no longer allowed to hunt them when you happen to see one in state forest etc.
It is similar with Deer. They are becoming a real problem as the population is increasing massively and there are estimates getting up around 1 million in Victoria. The government are dragging their heels trying to work out what to do and the problem is increasingly out of control.
In Victoria there are some large areas of National park where you are allowed to hunt deer but most others you are not. Most other states in the country you are not allowed to hunt on any public land so the control of these species is limited.
Recently in Victoria and New South Wales the government have been spending large amounts of money trying helicopter shooting of deer to try and control the exploding population yet the general population are not allowed to hunt them.
I guess re the Greentree thing I can see both sides. It sounds like maybe the info coming from his social media may be a little questionable, I don’t really follow that stuff and National parks are there to protect the place from human impact. I also know that as someone who loves the natural environment and values our national parks but also has the urge to hunt for my own meat seeing the inconsistencies and ineffectiveness of the protections with regard to deer etc is extremely frustrating. As such I understand the feeling of wanting to go get them deer in the National park.
Sorry for the rant but I thought some may be interested in some background on the deer hunting situation in Australia. I have found it fascinating learning about the way the conservation system in the US came about and the differences here in oz.

I appreciate the thoughts and completely understand where you are coming from. I agree that there are a lot of people who do not understand the difference between the conservation situation in Australia and that of the North American model. I also understand that the legal system is different. That being said, hunters, especially those who crave and survive off of social media and get a healthy income from the hunting industry are held to a different standard. Don't get me wrong, poaching is poaching and is a the ultimate mark of death in the hunting industry. It is wrong period. However, like steroids in baseball or cheating in sports, once you're labeled, its over.

Greentree spent a tremendous amount of time over the years via his social media platforms, Rogan's podcast, his own podcast etc. talking about how fortunate he was to have homes in different areas, a very comfortable income off of his business that allows him and his family to hunt and travel all year long (around the world). Just this last fall he hunted several private ranches/landowner tags that he claimed were all on his own dime. The $$ he and his family spent this fall alone would have covered the legal fees he claimed he didnt have the money for. He also said that part of the reason he pled guilty was because he didnt want to fly across country again. Cant fly across Australia to save everything he has worked hard for? I find that hard to buy. He can do whatever he wants with his money...its his money. I just dont have one second of sympathy for a guy that rolls with his lifestyle but claims he is too poor to fight against a poaching charge...especially when we all know how sensitive hunting/poaching is during the present climate. It looks bad on all of us.

Again, its his call to plead guilty to whatever he wants, however, I dont buy the "I'm innocent I just wanted to plead guilty to get it over and save money" If someone charged me with something I was innocent of, I would fight until every last penny was taken from me to prove my innocence. No sympathy for the guy. I know he's an incredible hunter, I just feel like we all have an obligation to make sure hunting is portrayed in a positive light, especially those making the bucks and having several hundred thousand followers.

92xj

WKR
Who cares about Adam anymore. Back to mr. Call and his Instagram post about being a man! And being positive! How about be a man and pubically acknowledge you're a leach and shit on people that helped get you where you are?

Who cares about Adam anymore. Back to mr. Call and his Instagram post about being a man! And being positive! How about be a man and pubically acknowledge you're a leach and shit on people that helped get you where you are?

Was mid swig of a brew as I started reading this and ended up spraying it all over the place in laughter. This is outstanding.

Lol. What did he say??

Regarding Greentree getting caught out on the West Coast of NZ https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/11...-bow-hunter-rescued-from-west-coast-mountains

The reality of if it is this happens a heap where the weather doesn't play ball here in NZ for chopper flights in and out. So you sit tight and get picked up the next day or a couple days later. The walking down the creeks bugs me as well. They are gnarly as F@#$ here so you use spurs and ridges down.

For those wanting to come over and hunt NZ. Bear in mind that a Danish lad got killed this year hunting over here from not realising the shit he was in. Happens every year that foreigners get caught out.

ozyclint

WKR
packed into and out of the same valley as this and been to where the danish hunters body was found. caution and common sense must be used all the time. when the weathers craps itself you have no choice but to wait it out.

getting dropped at his car was convenient.

i guess the more sensational the story the more likes.

Greentree and Gritty should start a podcast together. Two peas in a pod. Call it..."Poachers Life" Its all about shooting animals without tags and skirting the law whenever possible. These guys may single handedly sink hunting

Oh man, you are totally right because somethings make me really shocked because not everything that you see on Instagram is real especially the photos that some influencers and bloggers take, for example when they stand on a cliff in the mountains and in the same time try to make a yoga pose which they have never practiced before. I am also amused when people on Instagram post some things like political news and new laws that are not true. You just can’t believe everything you see on Instagram. I do have an account on Instagram but I don’t have a lot of followers and views on my videos. My posts are about traveling especially cheap traveling. Two days ago my friend suggested me to try a new service to buy Instagram views - how can you buy video views on Instagram?

Last edited:

ewade07

WKR
Greentree and Gritty should start a podcast together. Two peas in a pod. Call it..."Poachers Life" Its all about shooting animals without tags and skirting the law whenever possible. These guys may single handedly sink hunting
Whats the deal with Gritty??

This is America. Innocent until proven guilty! The sad part is now days this could ruin his life even if he is found not guilty because of this type of stuff.

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Whats the deal with Gritty??

Idk but one of the guys I'm hunting with this year keeps talking about Gritty and how he takes 2 tents hunting but use 1 just for gear and the other 2 guys sleep in the same tent. Keeps asking me if I "want to sleep in the same tent". I'm very concerned

• Haha
Reactions: lif

ncossey

FNG
Idk but one of the guys I'm hunting with this year keeps talking about Gritty and how he takes 2 tents hunting but use 1 just for gear and the other 2 guys sleep in the same tent. Keeps asking me if I "want to sleep in the same tent". I'm very concerned
Lol, we hinting at brokeback mountain action here?