DOPE not matching Ballistics Calculator

eric1115

WKR
The entire exercise strikes me as a waste of time w/o chrono data.
Idk, if it's a velocity issue it's a huge one. 2250 FPS gets the numbers OP is talking about, I would give long odds that the problem lies elsewhere.

OP are you changing your shooting position between the two distances?

Are you shooting paper at 200? Verified 200 yards?

I still recommend 5 shots on paper at 100, then 5 on paper at 200 without touching the turret.

EdP

WKR
There are other ways to determine MV that are not very complicated but do take a few rounds down range and some time. You can back calculate using a program if you know the drop between 100 and 200 yds. Chronographing a few rounds is a lot easier.

Running a ballistic program without having accurate inputs is just getting off to a poor start. I don't disagree that the issue may be elsewhere, but starting with good data seems to me to be the best way to eliminate potential causes.

bpurtz

WKR
I would probably start by double checking that the rail, ring bases, and rings are all appropriately torqued. I had a gun with a NF scope that had been in a safe for over a year - I have no idea how it could have happened, but 4 of the 8 ring screws were under the recommended torque spec when I went to the range with that gun...

WCB

WKR
The entire exercise strikes me as a waste of time w/o chrono data.
I have never shot a rifle over a chrono and have correct D.O.P.E information. It takes a bit more work and shooting. Also, helps to have access to long ranges but you should confirm anyways so that is a given.

EdP

WKR
I have never shot a rifle over a chrono and have correct D.O.P.E information. It takes a bit more work and shooting. Also, helps to have access to long ranges but you should confirm anyways so that is a given.
I don't disagree and said so in a subsequent post. My point really was that you need to know the MV to develop correct dope. A chronograph is the easiest and quickest way to do it, but not the only effective way.

I would suggest as the above. Zero at 100 then just move to 200 yrds. You should be within a couple inches of your POI. Move the turret and see what happens. If its not whats expected, if you haven't already check all the mounting screws even the ones you can't see directly under the rings, loose screws can cause all kinds of issues. If you can't find anything, call swarovski, they are very helpful in trouble shooting. I had an issue with bottoming out my veritcal adjusting down and eventually I sent the scope back to resolve the issue. Good luck

KenLee

WKR
Ignore the chrono and calculator and shoot the rifle at known distances.
I've been shooting big game with rifles for 45 years and never needed either IF I know where my rifle shoots. Never had a spot to shoot or spot game over 550 yards, but dang that's far enough to quit shooting at anything with a heartbeat unless you're a military or law enforcement sniper.

BTW, if you don't trust the scope, swap it out. Ain't nobody got time for junk scopes if you are stretching out shots.