Dove Limit, and some Drama...

TheGDog

WKR
Got my limit before 11am!

View attachment 325637

Then went elsewhere not too far away to re sight-in my .223 Rem after mounting new scope and wow I would not have thought you could be this close to the hard packed terrain on the road going in and still manage to get your rear end to spin and sink in, incredibly fast Eek!

View attachment 325638

Now just minding the grill with the Dove Jalapeno Bacon Cream Cheese Poppers!

20210911_195118.jpg

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, did you have a shovel and planks?

Gonna buy better tires and a lift?

Need some details, broseph.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah, I'm just 2WD. I may go 4WD at some point, but I've lived all these years without one, and I figured that's what my feet are for. To hike my butt back in there.

The only reason I was off the main 2-track trail line that goes up in there is because I wanted to pull-over and re-sight-in the .223 Rem. Where I'd initially parked, after setting up the target... walk back to truck, realize a couple bushes slightly in the way, so I was just gonna move the truck a lil this one direction. Then when I noticed it *wanting* to spin and not hookup. But I wasn't yet in trouble there. I was at a better spot to shoot from, so went ahead and did that and got the clickers squared away.

When I go to backup out of there, one of the tires looks like it butted up against a piece of rabbit brush, which caused just enough resistance that the opposite tire then probably got all the drive going into it then, the way regular differentials work. And then... this caused juuuust a deep enough hole that then attempts to try going fwd as much as ya can without spinning the tires... then ya know you put it in reverse and try to get it rolling gently then slowly more apply gas after it's rolling. Also I kinda thought that once the tire gets up and onto that darn small bush... I'd have figured it would have used it for traction. But I think that's there the differential probably being not one with a lockup screwed me over.

So.. the drama comes in that right about the time this happens and I realize further attempts at back-and-forth just aren't going to work at this point. That's when a DFG guy comes rolling up! The young guy was nice and enough and everything, I had a tow strap so he was nice enough to oblige with that. Friendly... but as we're interacting.. son of a bitch if he doesn't start in with all the typical BS an LEO would then want to do. Wants to start checking this and that and ugh. THAT sH*T I f*cking HATE! Personally I find it very angering and insulting. I didn't actively seek him out... nobody actively called him here... politely like a fellow human being I asked for the help... and then you're gonna start in with all the "Let's see if I can turn this into money for the state!" BS?

But like I said, at the very least his manner was very polite and fairly non-confrontational so after expressing to him how and WHY I didn't like that he was then trying to take it there... we began shooting the sh*t for awhile after my truck is extricated. But... I'd put my hazards on.

We're... I'm.. talking to him for a lengthy bit. Then he pulls away to go more deeper into this area. I go back to the truck... key in the ignition click, clik, click, click, click. Sh*t! So I turn off the hazards.. but I'm like.. there's no way in hell having just hazards on for that amount of time should do it! It was about that time I noticed the headlights switch was somehow on!

So I turned that off.... figured I'd wait and see if chemically the battery could possibly begin to build-up a lil more juice if given enough wait time. It was starting to try to get there. But it'd take a long time. Meanwhile.. I know this location and there isn't very far he can go back in there. So since I realized I'm screwed... I start walking back in on the road. Eventually see his car moving in the two lil offshot roads there are so I'm whistling loud as hell to get his attn.

I return back to my vehicle, eventually he rolls up, I've already got the hood up and cables out and ready. First we try to get a jump from his secondary battery (for the electronics in the car, laptop etc)... No go. So then over to his main battery and got her started right away.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Well, did you have a shovel and planks?

Gonna buy better tires and a lift?

Need some details, broseph.
I had some VERY street tires on thsi truck as initial purchase. I wanted to get some BF Goodrich K2's... but they didn't have em so I begrudingly got these Cooper A/T's because the rubber that was on it when I bought it... didn't wanna trust that far back some of the places ya go, ya know? EDIT: And I was going to be going far away that weekend too, so needed it right then)

After experiencing just how quickly this situation happened. Now I'm wondering if even K2's would have been able to help?

With a truck... especially a SuperCrew.. I know with it being 2WD it will have the weight bias be very light on the rear end since the idea is you fill the bed up with stuff and that changes. So not as much of the cars weight will be pushing downward upon those rears to get a bite.

Had to deal with something similar in my prior 2WD SportTrac. I had to backup uphill, at my brothers essentially raw property over there in Sandberg by Quail Lake. Made a helluva cloud of dust since I had to let the rears spin fast to eventually grab enough traction to get the car enough backed up the hill so I could then go fwd and be able to turn the car towards the exit/entrance to get you back on the elevated dirt road on the side of this slope.

Last edited:

JakeSCH

WKR
So.. the drama comes in that right about the time this happens and I realize further attempts at back-and-forth just aren't going to work at this point. That's when a DFG guy comes rolling up! The young guy was nice and enough and everything, I had a tow strap so he was nice enough to oblige with that. Friendly... but as we're interacting.. son of a bitch if he doesn't start in with all the typical BS an LEO would then want to do. Wants to start checking this and that and ugh. THAT sH*T I f*cking HATE! Personally I find it very angering and insulting. I didn't actively seek him out... nobody actively called him here... politely like a fellow human being I asked for the help... and then you're gonna start in with all the "Let's see if I can turn this into money for the state!" BS?

But like I said, at the very least his manner was very polite and fairly non-confrontational so after expressing to him how and WHY I didn't like that he was then trying to take it there... we began shooting the sh*t for awhile after my truck is extricated. But... I'd put my hazards on.

Lol I mean the guy is just doing his job. I know it sucks feeling the scrutiny of someone, but I'm sure he would have just given a warning if it was something minor.

Reactions: MJB

Fatcamp

WKR
LOL. What an adventure. I always think about 4wd, lifts, and lockers to get more out of problems vs. into them.

Might be time to think about a tool box and some essential equipment.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Lol I mean the guy is just doing his job. I know it sucks feeling the scrutiny of someone, but I'm sure he would have just given a warning if it was something minor.
NO... his job... is to RESPOND to MY call.
NOT use responding to MY call as an opportunity to see if he can slap financial hardship onto me.

Take a sec and see for yourself! DFG officers have some of the broadest powers available! They can go ahead and search thru your vehicle and anything in there and do not need a warrant!

Something that's been bugging me is... he asked to see my weapons, that were ALREADY IN the case!

Now think about this. Lots of open friendly conversation. Told him I got my limit, then I just wanted to re sight-in the .223 since I've already made this long 100mi drive for the doves. You can clearly see the Target in my backseat. It's obvious the bullet holes are from somebody sighting-in, not all grouped. I do know he could have sighted me for performing the sight-in there, because you're only allowed to use firearms for hunting purposes when you're in any place that's considered part of the NF. But it's like.. I live 4mi from the coast. I don't have anyplace near me to do a 100yd sight-in. Closest place I know of is Raahauges in Riverside.

Think about it.... exactly WHAT... would he gain... by being able to SEE my firearms? Eh? The firearms don't dictate whether or not it's lead-free, right? I'm NOT Actively in the pursuit of game now, I'm over somewhere completely different, now for a different purpose.

He wanted to check if the shotgun had the magazine limited to the 3 rounds. (Again, to see if we could make money for the state, Which he could've just f*cking asked me. But even then... what does it matter? There's NO WAY he could have even proved I took these Dove (at an entirely different location, mind you) with THAT shotgun. I totally could have met up with somebody at the event... borrowed their gun for the day.
EDIT: Re gun-plug for shells, I also certainly could have opted to remove it after leaving that other spot too. So what would that prove? Nothing.

You know... like let's say I'm ignorant, just bought the shotgun and thought I'd go hunt with it. I get there... some other hunter tells me "Dude, the magazine has to be limited, and you don't even have the right chokes!" So then I'd be like "Aw maaaan. Eh.. do you guys happen to have a spare?" THEN... I go and run into THIS Yahoo... whom I'm asking for immediate help to a specific issue... and he's all wanting to see my weapons and sh*t? If I was that ignorant dude that hadn't yet limited the mag, etc. This guy would TOTALLY have cited him. And I mean.. unless that gun was freshly cleaned or something... whenever it's your word vs some kinda LEO's.. YOUR words aren't worth a sh*t to the law. You know... because this other yahoo over here "took an oath". Pssh... I'd be willing to bet every bank-robber in the world would be totally willing to "take an oath" and wouldn't bat an eyelash at it.

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
LOL. What an adventure. I always think about 4wd, lifts, and lockers to get more out of problems vs. into them.

Might be time to think about a tool box and some essential equipment.
I had the tow strap... that location has a lot of illegal dumping debris around. There was a bunch of carpeting nearby. I probably could have used that.

What's most likely is he was in the vicinity, then heard the shots and thought he'd bust some body target shooting at all the debris, which there's plenty of evidence that happens in this area A LOT.

The other bigger reason why him subtle trying to sweat me was pissing me off is because from the scene he rolled up onto, it's immediately obvious I'M NOT doing any of the things he SHOULD be focusing on trying to stop in that area, referring to the illegal dumping and trashy behaviour. You look at me.... I got straight-out WHITE HAIRS...not Grey Hairs... growin' out my damn chin. By where the truck is stuck.. it jives with my story, you can see the target holder in the backseat, BOOM, I'm not the typical liquored-up cheap bastards who drags a boat or a refrigerator out here and dumps it off then shoots at it type of a$$hole I'm sure this dude was thinking he was going to nab, when he detected the gun shots initially.

JakeSCH

WKR
Imagine your job is to review people’s code…and someone is asking for help on how to index / find something using their code…would you not take the time to gloss over their surrounding code?

Idk may not be completely inaccurate analogy but I would personally expect every encounter with a wildlife officer to contain some kind of inspection.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Imagine your job is to review people’s code…and someone is asking for help on how to index / find something using their code…would you not take the time to gloss over their surrounding code?

Idk may not be completely inaccurate analogy but I would personally expect every encounter with a wildlife officer to contain some kind of inspection.

Good Analogy, but inherent there... is the individual ASKING for somebody to LOOK THRU their code.

In my case? Just a brother asking another brother for a hand. And THIS is how you reply? And don't even get me started on the fact that I PAY for that mofo to even be there!

RE:
"I would personally expect every encounter with a wildlife officer to contain some kind of inspection."

I guess that's where we differ. I don't want to have anything to do with anything even remotely LEO related. Doing so only opens YOU up to additional risks that you as a lay man can't even begin to totally know what those other risks can even be!

I mean... he even low-key asked me to lift my damn shirt to show I wasn't carrying concealed!!! Really dude? Are you in the habit of asking mother f*ckers who COME TO YOU for HELP in a time of need... if they're packin?

It's just.. I dunno... seemed EXTREMELY in appropriate of this guy to start wanting to inspect sh*t. I've been 100% forthright with you... the visible evidence that doesn't require inspection corroborates this. And yet you STILL wanna go fishing for something that could earn you some money and brownie-points for making a citation?

I dunno... just seems highly uncool to sweat somebody who's asking for help. I mean like.. if I was doin' dirt, be know way in hell you'd get me asking anybody LEO related for help!

Gary, are you aware that the act of, going to or from, fishing and hunting gives the Warden the legal right to search you and your possessions?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Gary, are you aware that the act of, going to or from, fishing and hunting gives the Warden the legal right to search you and your possessions?
I do now!

From our conversation (like I said, overall he was a nice guy) it pretty much sounded frightening how much lee way they get in terms of searches.

That having been said.. technically.. in that moment... I was not going to, nor from hunting. (Hell wasn't going anywhere stuck like that HaHA!) At least... he wouldn't have known that if I didn't mention doves and wasn't wearing camo.

I figured that was the other reason he wanted to see inside my coolers. Figured he wanted to find out if I was like all the local cheap bastards who come out there to get liquored up and shoot at debris.

He seemed rather interested in the small cooler I had in the passengers foot area. Best I can figure, I'm guessing maybe he runs into a lot of bad seeds that use a cooler to conceal a weapon being up front with them maybe??

Gary, I actually enjoy encounters with Wardens; it gives me a chance to get to know them, them to get to know me a bit, and the opportunity for me to get their phone numbers for the times I do see poaching, people trashing an area... In the areas I hunt, the Wardens know who I am and they know how much effort I put into it. They know that I am aware they have the right to search and that I welcome it. Those interactions go a long way in the mutual respect department.

By the way, in the vast majority of wildlife crimes (unlike person on person crimes) there is no complainant, thus the courts determined that a warden searching is not an unreasonable search.

JakeSCH

WKR
Gary, I actually enjoy encounters with Wardens; it gives me a chance to get to know them, them to get to know me a bit, and the opportunity for me to get their phone numbers for the times I do see poaching, people trashing an area... In the areas I hunt, the Wardens know who I am and they know how much effort I put into it. They know that I am aware they have the right to search and that I welcome it. Those interactions go a long way in the mutual respect department.

By the way, in the vast majority of wildlife crimes (unlike person on person crimes) there is no complainant, thus the courts determined that a warden searching is not an unreasonable search.

Exactly! Another thing to consider is that you never know what calls that got day or other encounters they have had that were similar but ended in a bad way.

Sadly LEO’s often deal with the worst which gives them a unique perspective. When you respond in a way like @Bubblehide recommended it gives them a breath of fresh air. It is a good thing.

FLATHEAD

WKR
You are not alone G-Dog.
1999 Chattahoochee NF, North Ga.
Headed out for deer from my Horse Barn Apt, in Cleveland.
Got in behind a FS fire crew. I remember thinking, watch these
suckers turn up the same road I'm going. They did.
A few miles up the mtn. I pull over at my spot and started getting my
stuff ready.
Before I could get away from my truck a FS Law Enforcement guy in a Bronco
comes flying back down the road and literally slides to a stop in front of my truck.
Guy gets out and here we go. Let me see your DL, hunting license, etc..... says
where do you live? (PO Box on DL), I say I dont have an address but told him
where the horse barn was where I was living. He didnt like that.
Asked me if I had been in the area the day before (NO), did i smoke (NO),
did I have any cigarettes in my truck? ( I just told you I didnt smoke), dude procedes
to get in my truck. Asks me my phone no# ( I dont know, I dont call myself very often).
He's really hot now, BUT.
After 15-20 minutes guy says your free to go but you are not parked in a designated
parking spot. I said ok, have a nice day. Left my truck where it was and went hunting.
Apparently there was a fire up on the Appalachian Trail. He figured I had set the fire and was there to watch the festivities.
Guy would have really been suspicious if he had seen the Alabama tag on my truck.
I was backed in to the spot.
This is why I hate to see Law Enforcement in the woods. I'm here to escape the craziness and just be left alone.

Last edited:

Pro953

WKR
Wow, guy let’s you off for illegal target shooting. Pulls you out of a ditch and gives you a jump. Then does his job by checking the legality of your situation which we “all” pay him to do. Geez, sounds like a total a**hole…

I am always happy to let a warden check my stuff. It’s a hard and dangerous job that pays rather poorly compared to other law enforcement. I wish I had a chance to see them more often. Plenty of sketchy and illegal crap going on every hunting season around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Request the help of a public servant, twice, for your mistakes and then act like the victim for said public servant doing his job and checking you. If we're being honest, the decision making that got you stuck has to make a warden wonder what other odd choices you made.

Maybe you can lead the charge to defund game wardens for their further victimization of the self-victimized.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
For me it's just that I grew up 'hood. So I do NOT care where I am at... I do NOT Trust ANY LEO's. Situation would have to be crazy dire before I'd EVER call one. The moment you call one of them? You are inviting a whole big bunch of potential trouble upon yourself. EDIT: If only just in time wasted

Even though YOU might be the one who calls to THEM for "HELP"... do NOT be surprised if after they (any of them) addresses the issue of your call... that they will then likely start-in with the bullsh*t of wanting to sweat you to possible earn some more brownie-points with the captain hittin' that Quota. They *say* they don't have "Quota" anymore... BUT... if your dept is hurting for funds from your local govt? You're super naive if you think them bastards ain't gonna be out trying to rack up the citations to get the depts budget back on track.

Not to mention all the other shenanigans cr*p they try to pull. Freakin' setting up chicanes where you pull thru... and they ask if you'd like to do an impromptu Smog Check on your vehicle. YUP! I know.. they actually did that nearby. That is SUCH a flagrant violation! IF they setup a DUI checkpoint... they HAVE TO have it posted as in when and where it will be... otherwise it's entrapment. Supreme Court case decided that. SO... these tards go and try to be slick and pull this other isht... Pssh. SMDH.

And since most of the people don't know their rights... I cringe thinking how many people they've illegally busted just by that alone! Calling it something else... knowing full well.... that all they wanted to do was get a buncha people to have to stop and rolldown there windows... which.. you know... seconds after you do that sh*t they lie their damn as$es off talkin' about "I smelled Marijuana" or whatever other popular substance they're having problems with at that time.

EDIT: To an infinitessimally small degree... when I was a younger man.. I could possibly understand them wanting to sweat you, because they don't know if you're on the straight and narrow. But for me? A Grown a$$ man with a white-haired Goatee? Whose all talking friendly with you like another human being... and then you wanna go and sorta betray that isht by then wanting to violate my privacy, especially when I'm caught in this more vulnerable position? Not cool.

FINAL NOTE: Understand that I fully am aware that we need them. I don't go for this stupid business of defund, that's just WAY DUMB. And overall, the majority of the few times I've ever crossed paths with them... most have been fairly positive. Since I always had fear whenever they were around, I'd be like "If it's OK with you, my license and registration is over in the glovebox. You OK with me reaching for it now?" that type of deal.

BUT... I have a real problem with the way they ALL seem approach a situation with a superiority complex.... everything about their demeanor from the get go is all about doing things in such a way so as to invoke or demand compliance in the other person first and foremost... NOT with the mindset of a public servant.

There is a REASON they are the #2 highest divorce rate among professions (Dentist is #1 btw). For what does that job entail? Demanding compliance to their commands all damn day long. You can't do that job and not have it corrupt your psyche. You're not going to be able to just shut all of that off the moment you're done with your shift, when you come home... hence the high divorce rate.

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. Something THEY need to learn bigtime.

Last edited: