Down sleeping bag to quilt? Anyone?

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I use quilts with my hammock but before I spent the $$ on a good one I (with my moms help with the sewing) turned my old army issue patrol bag into a quilt. Cut out the hood and zipper and sewed up the ends. Worked excellent. Made it lighter and much more comfortable.

I use a Kifaru Slick bag with the zipper on the top (their new design) as a sleeping bag and as a quilt. If you unzip it (or any sleeping bag with the zipper on the top rather than the side) all the way down to the foot box you can lay under it just like a quilt that has a foot box. I slept fine in my 20* slick bag with the temps down to 32* with an Big Agnes insulated air mattress under me.

So, the answer to your original question is YES, you can use a sleeping bag as a quilt. You could do it with a side zip as well if you fold the "hood" over if it is a mummy bag.

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
I run Big Agnes bags. Is there any advantage to the quilt over having the sleeve to contain your pad?

A big Yes, Pack size & Weight. I have the BA Whisky Park 0 degree bag. { the only one i've found that I can fit in }
it comes in @ 6 lbs. 10 oz with a packed size of 12X13 ( I've never been able to get it that small ). you need a separate U-Haul
trailer to take it anywhere.

This season I'm going with a EE Revelation Xlong/Xwide 0 degree. which weighs 2 lbs 2 oz. so I could carry 3 quilts
and still be 4 oz. short of 1 bag

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member

roy...s

FNG
I've actually done what you're looking to do....once. it was a real pain and I wouldn't do it again. Ended up with a fine product and used of many nights IF I were to do it again I would buy all the material abd build it from scratch, would have been easier and way less mess. Be ready to have down everywhere by the time your done and be VERY careful and insure to get your baffles correct. I'm actually putting together a synthetic one now and think I'll be much happier with it.

GKPrice

Banned
A big Yes, Pack size & Weight. I have the BA Whisky Park 0 degree bag. { the only one i've found that I can fit in }
it comes in @ 6 lbs. 10 oz with a packed size of 12X13 ( I've never been able to get it that small ). you need a separate U-Haul
trailer to take it anywhere.

This season I'm going with a EE Revelation Xlong/Xwide 0 degree. which weighs 2 lbs 2 oz. so I could carry 3 quilts
and still be 4 oz. short of 1 bag

Now THAT'S FUNNY, I don't care who you are ......